Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,472 Posts
Welcome from the Bay Area Dave ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
936 Posts
Welcome from Pensacola, FL! Check out the YouTube channels BMason and R/T Life if you want ideas on how to spice up your 5.7.

It's really a shame they come from the factory with only 375 horses, that's kind of detuned for what they are. They're capable of much more than that with just simple mods and tuning. A ported 392 intake manifold, a Hellcat airbox and filter, long tube headers (don't go catless, not worth it) or even SRT shorty headers off of a 392, 2.75 or 3 inch performance exhaust (the 2015-2016 R/T exhaust is very quiet and restrictive), a larger throttle body, and a 91 or 93 octane tune will take you to 425 crank horsepower on ACCIDENT before you even need to crack open the engine.

Swapping out your factory open diff for a 3.09 (automatic) or 3.90 (manual) geared limited slip diff will definitely help with acceleration, as will at least 275 sticky summer tires in the rear. I'd personally go 305-315 in rear, 275 in front. You can get replica rims in the correct widths for what you want.

From there, you can either go forced induction or stay naturally aspirated. With the 5.7, you're generally safe with going FI on a stock bottom end up to around 7 to 8 PSI of boost and 500 whp, as long as your tune is good and you're putting in good fuel. The Procharger is a great setup for this, it's designed to make boost gradually so it's easier on both the engine internals and the transmission. Another good option for the 5.7 is the Edelbrock E-Force. They're both bolt-in deals. Between that and full bolt-ons, you'll be showing 392's your tail lights. And if you ever wanted to, you could open up the engine and swap in forged pistons, rods, and a crank, and turn the boost up even more. You could even do a stroker while you're in there, there's no replacement for displacement!

The other option is staying naturally aspirated, which increases the $ per horsepower cost but is arguably more reliable for the long haul. You could go real simple with just a 392 cam swap (I don't believe a valve spring swap is required but don't quote me on that), and that's good for 30ish crank horsepower. Or, you can go with a custom or more aggressive shelf grind that'll give the car some chop and should be good for 50 to 80 crank horsepower, depending on how aggressive you go. This will mean you'll have to delete your MDS lifters if you have an automatic car, as well as swap your valve springs and push rods for upgraded parts.

If you want to go even deeper down the NA route, you can do a stroker build with high compression (10 or 11:1) pistons.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,525 Posts
Check out the NorCal Challengers on Facebook. Very active in the greater Sacramento area. Congratulations and enjoy it safely.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,525 Posts
Really great people. Tell them Mike from Sonora sent you....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Miles and pictures of your car? I bought from Autonation in Roseville. Not impressed. Was your R/T in the Takata Airbag recall? A good shop in San Jose is Valaya Motorsports. They installed a liquid cooled, twin screw, 2.8 litre Kenne Bell Blower in my old 5.7. Under 9k. Best move ever. I used 0-30 Amsoil and it PURRED.
9C27449C-FAA9-43C8-9A0D-9E5F75B5E6B4.jpeg

·
Registered
370 Posts
welcome from Virginia,
Yeah, I know, I know, I'm from Virginia and my governor is a idiot. 🎃

You will absolutely love the RT, Congratulations !
Lots of cool people and great info on the forum here.
Enjoy !
Best regards
Parrott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts