Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Got my legmaker hammer intake in the mail today and I have to say im not entirely impressed with it....one being that the temps have shot up alot when stationary, while cruising its okay, similar to stock temps but still a little higher, installation was the hardest part as the IAT sensor female connector was not reaching out to the tube where I inserted the IAT sensor, so I had to remove some tape that it was held onto to extend it. Regarding the tube entering the throttle body, the positioning was weird as the other end of the tube was hitting the lower airbox hole where you screw it down.

Best thing is it looks great and throttle response has definitely improved and sounds awesome at WOT and when you drive from medium throttle.
Not the best tube to get if you're looking to keep your temps down but i would look into getting a corsa intake or some other popular brands that have a heat shield around them or lower air box direct air feed.

Unless there is a someone or some company that makes heat shields for the legmaker hammer intakes??

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
A heat shield won’t help that heat soak much. Your IAT temp readings are necessarily reflecting the true temp of the air coming in as they are showing the temperature of the sensor (and the air immediately surrounding it).

A good WOT run will have a cooling effect on that IAT temp and get the PCM mixing a more accurate air/fuel mix. But as long as you have an engine with a MAP (speed density) and not a MAF (Mass Airflow) Sensor, the air intake tube’s propensity to absorb heat and throw off the IAT will always be a thing.

Your new intake tube should be made out of material which will shed that heat more quickly, which is good, but sometimes a good WOT run will help it do that faster.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A heat shield won’t help that heat soak much. Your IAT temp readings are necessarily reflecting the true temp of the air coming in as they are showing the temperature of the sensor (and the air immediately surrounding it).

A good WOT run will have a cooling effect on that IAT temp and get the PCM mixing a more accurate air/fuel mix. But as long as you have an engine with a MAP (speed density) and not a MAF (Mass Airflow) Sensor, the air intake tube’s propensity to absorb heat and throw off the IAT will always be a thing.

Your new intake tube should be made out of material which will shed that heat more quickly, which is good, but sometimes a good WOT run will help it do that faster.
Good info bro. I just went for a late night run here in Saudi Arabia and went WOT and the intake really did help, coldest it got to was 17 degrees, sitting in traffic gets up to 50 degrees. I think that’s good for a carbon fiber intake don’t you think?

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Ye
Good info bro. I just went for a late night run here in Saudi Arabia and went WOT and the intake really did help, coldest it got to was 17 degrees, sitting in traffic gets up to 50 degrees. I think that’s good for a carbon fiber intake don’t you think?
Yeah, carbon fiber is the best material to make those out of. If you get a handheld tuner like one of the DiabloSport units, you can check for any KR at WOT the extra air (without fuel) from this new CAI is bringing in and add some WOT Fuel with that tuner to make use of that extra air, and that would add some more performance (or regain it since it’s already there but not being realized) on to of what the CAI alone might add.

It’s not a lot to gain, but depending on how much KR is going on at WOT now with the new CAI, if any, it’s not out of the question to get back 5-10 HP that is being sapped by the extra air coming in without fuel to burn it and causing a reduction in timing due to knock (KR).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts