Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what’s going on fellas, I’m the owner of a 2012 challenger sxt v6 3.6L. I’ve had the car for a couple years now and changing the exhaust feels long overdue. Came across this site looking for ideas on some exhaust mods, after hours of watching videos and searching the web I decided I’m going to delete the resonators and do a mid muffler swap to flowmaster super 40s. I know it won’t sound like a v8 but almost any sound must be better than the stock. I was just looking to get feedback on whether I should go with the super 40s for sure or the regular 40s. I’m bringing my car down to the shop tomorrow and as of now the plan is super 40s but do you guys think the regular 40s would sound better? Also trying to stick to a low budget so as of now one or the other is my best option opposed to adding other exhaust mods along with the flowmasters.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,918 Posts
Welcome from California ;) I can't advise on the Flowmasters, as that's not been the sound I've liked, but be aware if you delete the resonators, you will have drone

A Guy

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've personally done the super 40s/44s replacing the mids, then straight through to the rear. It wasn't pleasant sounding to me on a 3.6L and droned too. I had it for couple of weeks before I decided on a borla s-type.

Not sure how they'd sound with the stock rears though; someone else can probably chime in; I'm sure it's been done before.

For a 3.6L, it really looks like a proper full catback like pypes, borla ...etc is better than a chop/weld approach.

I've heard few ones on a 3.5L where the mid was a dual-in/ dual-out and those sounded decent, but apparently the same setup on a 3.6L doesn't sound too good.

·
Registered
164 Posts
From when I had my 2012 Challenger. CheeryBomb Vortex Mufflers. Great sound.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
FroI had my 2012 Challenger. CheeryBomb Vortex Mufflers. Great sound.
Welcome from California ;) I can't advise on the Flowmasters, as that's not been the sound I've liked, but be aware if you delete the resonators, you will have drone

A Guy
Thanks for the replies everybody, definitely helps me out. I took it down to the shop this morning and the guy told me the same thing with the flowmasters and how much of a headache the drone is he recommended I didn’t do it. He told me to try a mid muffler delete and keep the resonators for now, apparently he did it with another 3.6l earlier in the week and the owner was satisfied. As for me I’m glad it has a different sound but not the sound I want. I actually came across your video earlier grandpa-srt4 with the cherry bomb vortex and I’m going for that all the way. I ordered 2 already and hopefully by next weekend I’ll have a sound similar to that, definitely has that deeper less of a civic sound to it. The ones I ordered are the 2.25” in/out since that’s the size of my current pipe, do you think it will still sound the same as yours because I noticed you bought the 2.5”.

I've personally done the super 40s/44s replacing the mids, then straight through to the rear. It wasn't pleasant sounding to me on a 3.6L and droned too. I had it for couple of weeks before I decided on a borla s-type.

Not sure how they'd sound with the stock rears though; someone else can probably chime in; I'm sure it's been done before.

For a 3.6L, it really looks like a proper full catback like pypes, borla ...etc is better than a chop/weld approach.

I've heard few ones on a 3.5L where the mid was a dual-in/ dual-out and those sounded decent, but apparently the same setup on a 3.6L doesn't sound too good.
Harry thanks for your input and at this point I’m starting to see exactly what’s you mean, for now I’m gunna go with the cherry bombs so I can save money instead of getting a 1300$ system but that will definitely be my next move with the exhaust in the future, especially if the cherry bombs still don’t satisfy but I hope they do for now

New plan as of now is cherry bomb vortex and reso delete

Thanks for the welcomes everybody else glad to be a part of the forum :D(y)

Welcome from Md!
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes. The Cheery Bomb Vortex still should sound the same.
Just use the Vortex Mufflers only. No other muffler or resonator.
You will notice that it is a tight fit. The muffler shop welded the two mufflers together up front so that they would not vibrate or hit each other. Blow up the picture to see.
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. The Cheery Bomb Vortex still should sound the same.
Just use the Vortex Mufflers only. No other muffler or resonator.
You will notice that it is a tight fit. The muffler shop welded the two mufflers together up front so that they would not vibrate or hit each other. Blow up the picture to see.
Good luck
Alright sweet, yeah it does appear to be a tight fit hopefully the guys at the shop will do something along those lines for me I’ll have to mention it. Going to do exactly as you mentioned, only these mufflers and reso delete, seems like the way to go for the best sound compared to similar set ups opposed to a whole new system.
Most likely this weekend I’ll be able to get it done as long as the mufflers show up on time. I’ll have to get a video of the results and share, thanks for the help fellas. Loving this forum already (y) :p

you most welcome! Looking forward to seeing/hearing the results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts