Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

My name is Charlie and I am new to this forum, I currently own a 2014 Dodge Challenger SXT and a 1995 Dakota (beater for fun!). I also had a 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman.

I have an extensive automotive sales background so I hope to be an active member but am lacking the aftermarket vendor knowledge and being on the lookout for a few different mods all input is welcomed!

1.) Pedal booster
2.) CAI
3.) TCM flash tune
4.) Exhaust options

If you have a picture of your ride post it up! Love to see some inspiration!

Respectfully,

Charlie

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
Welcome from California Charlie ;) These guys will happily spend your money :)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,197 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find it a welcome respite from the toils of "Keeping Austin Weird" day in and day out ;)

As far as the mods you listed, a couple of those aren't like the others and can be replaced with other, easier, more effective mods IMHO.

1.) Pedal booster - I am unfamiliar with this one. Sounds gimmicky either way; I'd move it down to the bottom of the list for now.
2.) CAI - nothing wrong with this one; it's a common first mod for many folks; it's also a good one to get your feet wet modding the car; don't expect significant performance gains though.
3.) TCM flash tune - Not sure I have heard of this being done by itself; best left off the list; get a PCM tuner instead if you want to play in that realm; DiabloSport's tuners are a good choice for a tuner if you decide you want to go this route.
4.) Exhaust options - *See CAI above*; all the same points apply.

Here are a few others you might consider, if for no other reason than to manufacture reasons to work on your car and become more familiar with it, even intimate if you wish >:)

5.) Catch Can - small device to plumb into PCV's line running into the intake; it filters out the gunk that would normally get into intake and coalesce, possibly causing issues down the road.
6.) Aftermarket Wheels - do your research on this one; going to big or too heavy can adversely affect performance
7.) TaZer - think of this as a tuner for the transmission; personally, I prefer the TranZformer to the TaZer, but both are outstanding at what they do (provide an interface into the TCM's inner workings and configurations).
8.) Lowering springs/aftermarket suspension - the SXT trims' Touring suspension systems make the cars sit up waaaay too high; Drop the ride height of the car 1-1.5" in both front and back, and handling will improve, as will looks.

That's about all I have off the top of my head, but there are more out there, trust me. Have fun, and don't forget to post up with any questions, concerns, and observations.

Also, before undertaking any service on the car, do a quick search of this forum to see if anyone has created a thread with a write-up of how to do what you're planning on doing. The odds are good someone else has already done the work, encountered all the problems, and has written them up along with how to avoid/resolve them, should you also encounter such difficulties.

And finally, on that same note, don't be afraid to ask questions of other members when you don't know, and especially try to answer others' questions asked of you if you happen to have the answer. That's what keeps this forum going, and it's also what makes it great IMO.

Cheers,
nuke

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I'd pass on the catch can on the V6, you won't catch much juice.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Hmmm...."pedal booster" is that for drivers with short legs?? :grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,197 Posts
I'd pass on the catch can on the V6, you won't catch much juice.
In my experience, you can fill up a CC on a 3.6L if you spend a significant amount of time at WOT, and some brands/weights of motor oils are more likely to end up in your CC than others (the lower the NOACK of the oil, the more likely it is to end up in your CC from what I've seen).

All of that's relative though. Granted, it's not necessarily something I would spend $100 to find out if I were in the OP's shoes. Which is why I would think about just going the cheap route at first and running a air compressor inline filter, just to get familiar with the technology, the engine, and working on each together. But that's me, and I know others out there won't see things the same way.:pimp:

Dollars'll getcha donuts it's a one-off device that basically does the same thing as adjusting the Throttle Boost parameter in the DiabloSport tuners - adjusts the rate at which the 'fly-by-wire' electronic throttle signal is increased when you mash the gas, giving the feeling of more oomph at a lower RPM, i.e. a performance increase.

But it's smoke and mirrors. Nothing has been modified in the way the engine operates, nor has anything been upped with respects to the HP/TQ output. It just fools your butt dyno into thinking the car is more responsive, more peppy, running better, etc. :notallthere:

Now, having said that, I will freely admit to maxing out the Throttle Boost parameter on every tune I've loaded into my Challengers. Even if I know it's only an illusion, it still does help the throttle response at low RPMs, so "why not use it?" is my thought. It certainly can't hurt anything, so I'm always willing to turn it up and leave it there in my tunes. :grin2:

(NOTE: I certainly wouldn't pay money for a device that does only that though. The fact that it comes built in to the DiabloSport tuners is the only way I can justify using it.)

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Charlie. You've already started some lively discussion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It ain't a party until NUKE shows up!!! :grin2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome from Md!

Thank you!

Welcome from California Charlie ;) These guys will happily spend your money :)

A Guy
I hope so! Thanks A guy!

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find it a welcome respite from the toils of "Keeping Austin Weird" day in and day out ;)

As far as the mods you listed, a couple of those aren't like the others and can be replaced with other, easier, more effective mods IMHO.

1.) Pedal booster - I am unfamiliar with this one. Sounds gimmicky either way; I'd move it down to the bottom of the list for now.
2.) CAI - nothing wrong with this one; it's a common first mod for many folks; it's also a good one to get your feet wet modding the car; don't expect significant performance gains though.
3.) TCM flash tune - Not sure I have heard of this being done by itself; best left off the list; get a PCM tuner instead if you want to play in that realm; DiabloSport's tuners are a good choice for a tuner if you decide you want to go this route.
4.) Exhaust options - *See CAI above*; all the same points apply.

Here are a few others you might consider, if for no other reason than to manufacture reasons to work on your car and become more familiar with it, even intimate if you wish >:)

5.) Catch Can - small device to plumb into PCV's line running into the intake; it filters out the gunk that would normally get into intake and coalesce, possibly causing issues down the road.
6.) Aftermarket Wheels - do your research on this one; going to big or too heavy can adversely affect performance
7.) TaZer - think of this as a tuner for the transmission; personally, I prefer the TranZformer to the TaZer, but both are outstanding at what they do (provide an interface into the TCM's inner workings and configurations).
8.) Lowering springs/aftermarket suspension - the SXT trims' Touring suspension systems make the cars sit up waaaay too high; Drop the ride height of the car 1-1.5" in both front and back, and handling will improve, as will looks.

That's about all I have off the top of my head, but there are more out there, trust me. Have fun, and don't forget to post up with any questions, concerns, and observations.

Also, before undertaking any service on the car, do a quick search of this forum to see if anyone has created a thread with a write-up of how to do what you're planning on doing. The odds are good someone else has already done the work, encountered all the problems, and has written them up along with how to avoid/resolve them, should you also encounter such difficulties.

And finally, on that same note, don't be afraid to ask questions of other members when you don't know, and especially try to answer others' questions asked of you if you happen to have the answer. That's what keeps this forum going, and it's also what makes it great IMO.

Cheers,
nuke
I will look into your suggestions, just got back after a long day at the lake so im wiped! More or less the transformer option is what I was referring to in terms of TCM flash. I currently do some side work for a performance shop out here any they offer something similar to that, just not for challenger... Sure its easy to reprogram onelm but the owner has been dodgy about getting one for me, so I looked here for further guidance!

Do you recommend any specific lowering springs and catch can? How difficult would install be on mods like this? I primarily pay for aftermarket install help in increments of 6 packs! :wink3:

You would think! Being 6 ft that is not the case!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
6,197 Posts

*I will look into your suggestions*, just got back after a long day at the lake so im wiped! More or less the transformer option is what I was referring to in terms of TCM flash. I currently do some side work for a performance shop out here any they offer something similar to that, just not for challenger... Sure its easy to reprogram onelm but the owner has been dodgy about getting one for me, so I looked here for further guidance!

*Do you recommend any specific lowering springs and catch can? How difficult would install be on mods like this? I primarily pay for aftermarket install help in increments of 6 packs!* :wink3:

Just to clarify, those mods I listed were not so much suggestions for what I think you should do to your car, they were really just a list of common mods that would either be easy for you to do or provide a good ROI (either performance-wise or looks-wise) for the time/money required.

Some new owners want to jump right in and start messing with the car, whether to learn more about it or to just play with their new toy, and other new owners want to immediately begin improving upon the car to make it faster/better looking, etc. No matter which type of owner you are, that list of mods should have something to quench your thirst I believe.

The list of springs isn't long - Eibach, H&S, Hotchkis (sp?), Mopar Stage 1/2, and even the Challenger SRT's OE springs. All can be used to lower the ride height and improve the ride quality, but each one will have some pros/cons associated with it and will require some research on the various differences beforehand. Most of the time, which option is best boils down to personal preference and financial position, so I don't want to recommend one over the other. Check out the applicable sections here on the forum for others that have installed the various brands and their respective reviews/feelings on how the product performs. That's going to be the best way to decide - use other's opinions on how they like them and compare to your own.

The list of catch cans is even shorter. The engine application (3.6L) will limit who has one that can be installed using the required hardware. So here again, you should search through the SE/SXT section for threads that mention CC/catch can specifically to get more ideas on what's out there. Also, unless you plan on doing some power-adding mods to the engine, the catch can isn't going to have a good ROI. It won't hurt anything, but it won't help much either if you don't do anything to modify the amount of power the 3.6L puts out.

As far as difficulty for install, I'd put replacing the coil springs right up there at the top of the difficulty scale when talking about mods for your car. Most people probably pay to have something like that done, which is not a bad idea if you lack the tools and/or space to do serious suspension work like that. Nevertheless, if you have a friend with the proper tools and/or space, doing something as involved as swapping out the coil springs can be a tremendously rewarding experience for anyone that wants to learn more about how their car works. Some people could care less about how it works, just as long as it works. For those folks, I would definitely recommend paying to have something like this done.

Installing the typical catch can is on the other end of the scale - fairly straightforward and unlikely to be difficult, even for the novice shade-tree mechanic. It will likely have only one option for location in the engine bay, so that makes it pretty easy about deciding where to put it. And installing it once it has been mounted is as easy as clamping on the vacuum lines and routing the hoses away from anything that will crush them or melt them from heat. Installing a catch can could be messed up I supposed, but you'd have to really try to mess it badly I think. :eek:rder:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here ya go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome! Granite Chrystal is my favorite color that they offer. I chose black instead (Dont know what I was thinking!)

Just to clarify, those mods I listed were not so much suggestions for what I think you should do to your car, they were really just a list of common mods that would either be easy for you to do or provide a good ROI (either performance-wise or looks-wise) for the time/money required.

Some new owners want to jump right in and start messing with the car, whether to learn more about it or to just play with their new toy, and other new owners want to immediately begin improving upon the car to make it faster/better looking, etc. No matter which type of owner you are, that list of mods should have something to quench your thirst I believe.

The list of springs isn't long - Eibach, H&S, Hotchkis (sp?), Mopar Stage 1/2, and even the Challenger SRT's OE springs. All can be used to lower the ride height and improve the ride quality, but each one will have some pros/cons associated with it and will require some research on the various differences beforehand. Most of the time, which option is best boils down to personal preference and financial position, so I don't want to recommend one over the other. Check out the applicable sections here on the forum for others that have installed the various brands and their respective reviews/feelings on how the product performs. That's going to be the best way to decide - use other's opinions on how they like them and compare to your own.

The list of catch cans is even shorter. The engine application (3.6L) will limit who has one that can be installed using the required hardware. So here again, you should search through the SE/SXT section for threads that mention CC/catch can specifically to get more ideas on what's out there. Also, unless you plan on doing some power-adding mods to the engine, the catch can isn't going to have a good ROI. It won't hurt anything, but it won't help much either if you don't do anything to modify the amount of power the 3.6L puts out.

As far as difficulty for install, I'd put replacing the coil springs right up there at the top of the difficulty scale when talking about mods for your car. Most people probably pay to have something like that done, which is not a bad idea if you lack the tools and/or space to do serious suspension work like that. Nevertheless, if you have a friend with the proper tools and/or space, doing something as involved as swapping out the coil springs can be a tremendously rewarding experience for anyone that wants to learn more about how their car works. Some people could care less about how it works, just as long as it works. For those folks, I would definitely recommend paying to have something like this done.

Installing the typical catch can is on the other end of the scale - fairly straightforward and unlikely to be difficult, even for the novice shade-tree mechanic. It will likely have only one option for location in the engine bay, so that makes it pretty easy about deciding where to put it. And installing it once it has been mounted is as easy as clamping on the vacuum lines and routing the hoses away from anything that will crush them or melt them from heat. Installing a catch can could be messed up I supposed, but you'd have to really try to mess it badly I think. :eek:rder:
Which is more of what I was looking for because I didnt know where to start really. I have had the car for about 2 years now and wanted to fall in love with the car again!

Is there a specific vendor I should look into that offers both?

If its something relatively easy I enjoy the install challenge because my mechanical knowledge isnt super extensive.. being an automotive wholeseller, if I have an issue I just get rid of the unit or outsource the repairs.

·
Premium Member
6,197 Posts

Is there a specific vendor I should look into that offers both?

If its something relatively easy I enjoy the install challenge because my mechanical knowledge isnt super extensive.. being an automotive wholeseller, if I have an issue I just get rid of the unit or outsource the repairs.
I would be surprised if you could find a vendor that sells suspension parts and also has a Pentastar-specific catch can. But that doesn't mean there isn't one...check with some of the vendors listed on the supported vendors page. For the springs, you can mention Eibach or Mopar Stage 1's to try to get prices. Those seem to be the most popular choices for the lowering springs, so they'll probably be for sale at more places.

I have a feeling the catch can will require some searching around to find one for the 3.6L. Actually, any catch can will work for the 3.6L, but finding a place that has brackets designed for mounting a catch an in the 3.6L engine bay won't be a breeze. If it were me, I would probably just go through this thread and send private messages to all the members who posted pics of their catch cans and ask them where they got theirs.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts