Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I don't own a Challenger (yet) but I wanted to ask you guys a few questions.

First off I love this car. It's the only current muscle car that LOOKS like a muscle car. It's big and beefy and badass. I had an 08 Mustang which was retro looking but didn't have much of a motor and interior was small.

I sat in a Challenger a few weeks ago at the DC Auto Show and fell in love, and today cupid's arrow hit after I drove a Fuschia 2010 R/T.

I'm a car nut all around, right now I own a cammed 6speed 6.0 2005 Pontiac GTO which drives like a bat out of hell.

Now for the questions I had.

-Can the R/T be made to run with an SRT easily? From driving it around, it seemed like it could definitely use more power...like a lot more. Would catback/intake/headers/dyno tune really wake the car up or will I need to cam it? If a cam is a real necessity I think I'll just spend the extra coin on an SRT up front.

-Is the (6.1) SRT really worth so much more than an R/T? Is the performance difference really noticeable?

-Are there major weaknesses in either transmission? The R/T's 6 speed felt fantastic, can it take a beating? Will the auto trans grenade if I add a big stall and a few ponies? I think I'd prefer auto this time around, but there's a big rebate on 6-speeds right now.

-Are traction issues easy to overcome as you add power? I would very much like to have a 315 rear tire, is this feasible without major suspension mods? Also, does the IRS hop? I HATE wheelhop and it's one thing I really miss about my Mustang.

Oh and as a side note...the Fuschia is nice but I must have Plum Crazy :pimp:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If all your after is power than you might as well get the SRT from the get go. I've heard people haveing problems with 6 speed tranny and 6 speed rear ends. I don't know how much of a stall converter you can use without an auto messing up but just stock they seem to hold up pretty good. I like my Rt but your starting out 50 HP in the hole from a 6.1 and about 100 from a 6.4.

·
Registered
402 Posts
-Can the R/T be made to run with an SRT easily? From driving it around, it seemed like it could definitely use more power...like a lot more. Would catback/intake/headers/dyno tune really wake the car up or will I need to cam it? If a cam is a real necessity I think I'll just spend the extra coin on an SRT up front.
If you did the aforementioned you will be in SRT 6.1 territory, not so much the 6.4. There has been problem with camming the Eagle 5.7 VVT because of how the VVT works. Stock the R/T does mid 13's and 6.1 does low 13's so does not take to much to get down there. Mind that there are some people who has gotten phenominal times with both, I just gave the average
-Is the (6.1) SRT really worth so much more than an R/T? Is the performance difference really noticeable?
the SRT has better suspension, better brakes, and a more power. If you are buying with the deep discounts, I would say try and get an SRT
-Are there major weaknesses in either transmission? The R/T's 6 speed felt fantastic, can it take a beating? Will the auto trans grenade if I add a big stall and a few ponies? I think I'd prefer auto this time around, but there's a big rebate on 6-speeds right now.
I have not heard much about transmission issues, and they seem to handle more power, but someone with more experience should step in here. There are issues with the rear-end though which will discuss in next topic.
-Are traction issues easy to overcome as you add power? I would very much like to have a 315 rear tire, is this feasible without major suspension mods? Also, does the IRS hop? I HATE wheelhop and it's one thing I really miss about my Mustang.
As long as you get a wider Wheel, then you should be fine. I have heard people running that wide. And the car does have wheel-hop stock. Hop-not have kits to stop this and is highly recommended with the 6-speed since it affects them the most. The wheel-hop also deforms the diff and makes it start to whine. At least most people hear the whine after some serious wheel-hop. and the hop-not kit is not terribly expensive, and very recommended with more power

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. If all your after is power than you might as well get the SRT from the get go. I've heard people haveing problems with 6speed tranny and 6 speed rear ends. I don't know how much of a stall converter you can use without an auto messing up but just stock they seem to hold up pretty good. I like my Rt but your starting out 50 HP in the hole from a 6.1 and about 100 from a 6.4.
I think I'm going to have to do that. The 6.4 is out of reach financially but the 6.1 seems like a great buy right now. Thanks for you help.

As long as you get a wider Wheel, then you should be fine. I have heard people running that wide. And the car does have wheel-hop stock. Hop-not have kits to stop this and is highly recommended with the 6-speed since it affects them the most. The wheel-hop also deforms the diff and makes it start to whine. At least most people hear the whine after some serious wheel-hop. and the hop-not kit is not terribly expensive, and very recommended with more power
The hop not kits look promising. Unfortunately for the GTO you really need a larger diameter axle on the passenger side and air bags in the rear springs to stop wheel hop. I can also only fit a maximum of 275 tires without coilovers/minitub...so it's good to know I'll be able to put sufficient rubber out back now. Thanks for your help.

Max Power: 652 rwhp Max Torque: 635 ft-lbs Boost: 15 psi

Performance Mods:
Techco 3.0L SC, Techco Strut Tower Brace, DiabloSport Custom CMR Tune, HHP/BES Stage 2 Heads, HHP/BES Camshaft, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust, Hawk Performance Brake Pads, Hurst Shifter
Holy crap, that's what I'm talking about...can that motor take 15 psi on the stock bottom end? Or do you have a forged bottom end not mentioned here?

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
...Holy crap, that's what I'm talking about...can that motor take 15 psi on the stock bottom end? Or do you have a forged bottom end not mentioned here?
The bottom end is forged. I ran 7.5 psi on the stock bottom end with no problems.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts