Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new here so I'll give a short introduction and then ask my first questions (of many to come I'm sure).

My name is Corey and I grew up in York, PA. I like guitars, video games, cars, and spending time with the lovely lady. I'm very interested in learning more about cars as I've been driving them for years but never really got into the modification and fixing them myself until recently as I have a garage and I now have a car worth working on (see signature photo). My fiance has a 2010 Synergy Green Camaro V6 and I have a 2012 Challenger R/T Classic.

So my question for this thread regarding performance is what kind of exhausts could I put on my Challenger? Currently it's stock and I would like to make it louder and more muscular sounding. I've talked to co workers and friends and some people say I should do just a cat back exhaust and others tell me I should do the headers all the way back. Some people tell me that doing the headers all the way back is going to throw off my O2 sensors and cause my check engine light to come on. I'm not really sure what is a good route. I know this might affect the emissions and I'm in PA so I need it to be passing PA state emissions. I hope to find a good solution for this.

I would also like to invest into a short ram intake and I found one on the Mopar site that is fitted for the car but I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions for that as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First of all, welcome to the Challenger family!

There are many threads on the topics you are interested that have been explored for years. I suggest searching the different forums to see if you can find information on the topics that interest you. It may be a bit overwhelming, but there are a lot of very experienced enthusiasts that are members of this forum and there is a lot of knowledge to be gained.

I've owned a '10 R/T classic and now have a '13 SRT. Both A5, which does make a difference which mods you want to look at, especially exhaust systems. I never got around to making mods to my R/T, I liked it just the way it was delivered. If you have the Super Track Pack, you have a solid starting point for whatever you choose to do.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't believe I saw the STP installed on the build sheet that I found in the glove box from Dodge. I do have a Sport mode button though, does that come standard with all of the newer model Challengers or just STP set up Challengers? I have the EVIC that has all the of the 0-60 and performance testing things in it too.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new here so I'll give a short introduction and then ask my first questions (of many to come I'm sure).

My name is Corey and I grew up in York, PA. I like guitars, video games, cars, and spending time with the lovely lady. I'm very interested in learning more about cars as I've been driving them for years but never really got into the modification and fixing them myself until recently as I have a garage and I now have a car worth working on (see signature photo). My fiance has a 2010 Synergy Green Camaro V6 and I have a 2012 Challenger R/T Classic.

So my question for this thread regarding performance is what kind of exhausts could I put on my Challenger? Currently it's stock and I would like to make it louder and more muscular sounding. I've talked to co workers and friends and some people say I should do just a cat back exhaust and others tell me I should do the headers all the way back. Some people tell me that doing the headers all the way back is going to throw off my O2 sensors and cause my check engine light to come on. I'm not really sure what is a good route. I know this might affect the emissions and I'm in PA so I need it to be passing PA state emissions. I hope to find a good solution for this.

I would also like to invest into a short ram intake and I found one on the Mopar site that is fitted for the car but I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions for that as well.
Welcome...
The 5.7s have restrictive manifolds so many install the SRT Shorty headers. Many different intakes and exhaust systems so that needs to be personal taste. LMI is one of the better functioning CAIs. A CAI and cat back will pass inspection. Best bang for the buck is a custom tune which you will need a Diablo Trinity or Intune to load. Many are happy with the canned tunes that come with the tuner as they reduce a lot of the tq mgmnt that holds these cars back.
180 degree stat is another good mode but again, you will need a tuner to adjust the fans lower.
Throttle Body, tuner, stat, CAI and exhaust (possibly manifolds) seems to be the most common mods.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Welcome!

If you are new to this as far as cars go, do yourself and your wallet a favor! Don't spend alot of bucks on an exhaust unless you have alot of it to just blow, instead just have your resonators removed and add some exhaust tips..........end of story and this mod is a hell of alot cheaper than purchasing a total exhaust kit.

Just saying.........

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
ZOOMERS!!! :yumyum:

·
Premium Member
11,153 Posts
Ton answer the OP's question - Longtubes can cause O2 sensor lights to come on.

Depending on the catback you can achieve awesome sound with just bolting on a catback.

Personally I like the SX/ZOOMERs catback. Old school muscle car sound in a box! ha

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love the SOLO cat back I put on my R/T. High quality, Sounds great and wasn't that expensive IMO. Less then $800 on sale.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your input on this. I've been looking up exhausts types and looking up your suggestions and seeing what it's all about.

While this is my first time having a car worth modifying I've been wanting to customize a car to be "my own" for a while. And while having said that I'm not going way out of my way to jump right on an exhausts and performance upgrades. I'm getting married in May of 2014 so I need to be focusing on that first. So I have plenty of time to research exhausts and intakes and headers and whatever else there is to be done. Some of my co workers tell me there is a ton of things I can do to a car to improve it's performance and sound.

Having said that I listened to some videos of the zoomers and the exhausts mentioned here and I liked the deeper "voiced" exhausts and catbacks. I liked some flowmasters that I've heard and that Corsa/Mopar exhaust as well. If anyone knows about those types of exhausts feel free to tell me about something I may not know.

And thank you guys for getting back to me so quickly. I'm liking the atmosphere on here a lot.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
True :)

But the saying always goes...you pay to play :D LOL

Me personally - I have never sat in a car that had the resonators cut that I liked...that is just me though :)
LOL - says the guy who sells catbacks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I own a 2012 RT Classic. Literally getting my zoomers exhaust installed as I type this. First went with flowmaster super 44s with a reso delete and the drone was horrific. Listened to a friend with a charger who installed zoomers and oh man, talk about perfection. Can't wait to hear it in about 20 mins...

I obviously would go zoomers. There are so many out there but I think it makes our Hemis sound perfect.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd have to agree with Mike. I went from reso delete straight pipes, to blastin Bob's, and finally to my solo. Should've went solo to begin with and saved myself all that time. I've heard zoomers in person and while I agree they sound really good, solo just hits that sweet spot for me and was exactly the sound I was looking for. Paired with my afe intake and magnaflow hi flows it sounds sexy as hell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It seems I need to do some research on my cat. I found a few exhaust systems from listening to a bunch of videos of all sorts of exhaust types that I liked.

So far the list is:
Magnaflow
Flow Master
Corsa/Mopar
Borla ATAK (??)

I liked the sound of the Borla video that I heard. It was very deep and a little boomy. Would that make it drone too much though?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
It seems I need to do some research on my cat. I found a few exhaust systems from listening to a bunch of videos of all sorts of exhaust types that I liked.

So far the list is:
Magnaflow
Flow Master
Corsa/Mopar
Borla ATAK (??)

I liked the sound of the Borla video that I heard. It was very deep and a little boomy. Would that make it drone too much though?
Yes, Borlas have been known to drone across the board with their catbacks. I had the Borla touring and it droned bad.

Out of the list you have I would get the Magnaflow Competition series.

Corsa doesn't drone but it's far from boomy, it's more like a Euro V8 sound rather than a muscle car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Listening back I do like the sound of the Magnaflow Competition series exhaust system. My fiance likes the sound of it as well. I'll have to look into it more to see what all the system comes with and what additional parts I might need.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you are new to this as far as cars go, do yourself and your wallet a favor! Don't spend alot of bucks on an exhaust unless you have alot of it to just blow, instead just have your resonators removed and add some exhaust tips..........end of story and this mod is a hell of alot cheaper than purchasing a total exhaust kit.

Just saying.........
Spider, This is 100% correct. I installed a Magnaflow axle back kit that uses the stock tips. It made the car sound great, with no drone and it took me less than an one hour to install it in my garage. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts