Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Brand new owner here, already posted in the new member section. I'm completely in love with this car, and you guys have given me some great advice just from using the search function. I debated putting this thread in the modification section, but it's more just general advice so I put it here instead. Hope that's ok!

The car I purchased is a 2010 Challenger R/T Automatic in Mineral Gray. From what I've read, Mineral Gray is the late model replacement for Dark Titanium. This thing is pretty much fully loaded, but I'm really interested in some after-mod cosmetics.

It obviously has the 5.7L MDS V8. Added options are 20" Chrome Clad F1 tires, Power Sunroof, Sound Group II, Super Track Pak, Media Center 730N with Nav, and Complete Electronics Convenience Group including Remote Start. Lots of bells and whistles basically.

It's a brand new car, so I'm wary about making modifications to it, and I've religiously read all the threads on caring for the car, but some of these changes seem too good to pass up.

At the moment, I'm looking to replace the stock hood intakes with the real ones as my first step. After that I was debating on adding hood decals or getting the MOPAR hood scoop. I'm not really sure if the hood scoop is worth the $1200 and would love to hear opinions on that. Following that would be body decals such as the simple side stripes, and then maybe some changes to the exhaust system and engine compartment.

However, one of the things I'm wondering is if I should only use MOPAR parts and have the dealership do it, or if I should look into other markets. If the price disparity is the ONLY issue, I'd probably stick with the dealership. Any thoughts? For the record, I'm rebuilding a 1957 Chevy Pickup from the ground up so I know a little about cars, but almost nothing about newer setups. Just enough to get by.

Also, I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys have for early modifications that will help me with performance and gas efficiency. Gas efficiency isn't the biggest deal, but I imagine I can get more out of her with some tweaks. Seriously, anything at all any of you can tell me about owning and caring for this girl would be more than welcome.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
welcome and enjoy the show
if you want to go fast real fast do what i did or get some juice

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum. There is a thread "Challenger Tips and Tricks" you should visit. Lots of stuff in there not included in the owner's manual. The hidden EVIC is one of them, with all of the kewl things you want to monitor while driving.

Early modifications to do:

* Cold air intake
* Cat-back exhaust system
* Lockpick (in addition to a backup camera, you can view DVDs and input addresses into the NAV unit while driving)

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Welcome aboard! Don't fear aftermarket (non-dealer) companies, but do your homework. There are plenty of good (great) companies out there and some less than honest ones as well.

As far as increasing gas mileage, I wouldn't spend too much time there. You're not going to get really far. For performance, post up in Performance Mods forum. Plenty to learn over there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lockpick definitely sounds interesting, especially if I have more than one camera. Backup camera would surely be useful if I can figure out how to install it...

I was looking into that cold-air intake, seems like most of you guys have added that. That's definitely added to the list :D . Do most people get the Mopar one, or an aftermarket?

After watching a few clips on youtube, I really like that flowmaster cat-back sound. A few days ago I found a post about an 80$ easy exhaust change that sounded amazing, but I can't find the post anymore. It wasn't blastin' bob, and I know I'd remember the name if I saw it. It's been driving me crazy.

You guys are awesome, thanks! Any of you worked with that MOPAR hood scoop? I can't buy the decals until I decide on it :D

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Make sure you research a lot before doing an exhaust mod. A 5.7 Auto (MDS) will drone like crazy.

Lockpick definitely sounds interesting, especially if I have more than one camera. Backup camera would surely be useful if I can figure out how to install it...

I was looking into that cold-air intake, seems like most of you guys have added that. That's definitely added to the list :D . Do most people get the Mopar one, or an aftermarket?

After watching a few clips on youtube, I really like that flowmaster cat-back sound. A few days ago I found a post about an 80$ easy exhaust change that sounded amazing, but I can't find the post anymore. It wasn't blastin' bob, and I know I'd remember the name if I saw it. It's been driving me crazy.

You guys are awesome, thanks! Any of you worked with that MOPAR hood scoop? I can't buy the decals until I decide on it :D

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Installing the camera in the back is a snap. They have vents right above the back bumper going in the trunk you can run the wires thru if your mounting it to the licence plate. The lockpick also luts you do alot of stuff that's locked out by Dodge and the goverment.
From what I've heard on here a CAI won't give you any more power for a RT than a K&N drop in filter but will sound better.
Can't help on the exaust.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Any of you worked with that MOPAR hood scoop? I can't buy the decals until I decide on it :D
The Mopar hood scoop isn't functional. It just for looks, and unless you get a new hood without the stock air intakes, then it looks really funny. Personally, I'd pass on it. Lotta money for looks and someone here had one blow right off of the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
well the hood scoop looks really good but i dont think its functional, but i know theres another brand out there recently posted their hood scoops and they are functional and look nice for about 800 bucks, I went with the Mopar COI it worked allot better when i got my exhaust done so its up to u i got the mopar stuff free from the dealer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoa! Wouldn't want my hood scoop being ripped off, especially if it isn't even functional. That really helps me make the decision, thanks!

As far as a functional hood scoop I found: Cervini's Dodge Challenger Shaker Hood System Debuts - Challenger Blog 1600$ though.

The MOPAR 10' obviously has one, but that won't be out for awhile. Guess I'll drop the 150-250$ on the MOPAR decals instead, thanks! That decision was bothering me, glad you all helped clear it up.

So I've got the functional hood scoop bezels, the hood and side decals, a CAI, some backup cameras and LOCKPICK, and maybe something like a catch can. Any other immediate suggestions?

I had this weird idea of maybe putting some LED lighting in those hood scoop bezels. I haven't been able to find any examples of it though, if anyone knows of some I'd love to hear how it went. Otherwise I'll take some pictures and post em if/when I do that.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Oh yeah, almost forgot the all important catch can. That's a must have.

The cat-back exhaust system will liven up the sound for you. You'll switch the exhaust sooner or later, that's almost a given. The longer you drive the car before changing the exhaust, the more of shock to your system it's going to be. Chrysler did an excellent job in making it as quiet as a Mercedes inside. So, when you get around to doing it, just remember to give it a few weeks to get used to it before thinking that you made a mistake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, guess I just need to decide which exhaust system to use. I'm ok with the drone, I have loud music and hardly ever run at 1800-2000 RPM.

Went to the Dodge parts today. Apparently MOPAR parts went WAYYYYY up over what's listed on their site. Or the guy is trying to swindle me. What's interesting is he said that aftermarket products don't really void the warranty. If I put new exhaust, an aftermarket CAI and all that, and my window mechanism breaks or the trim falls off or some such thing, they still have to replace it.

He said it's up to them to be able to prove that my mods actually caused the problem, and if not they still honor the warranty. Not sure if he was telling the truth though. Either way, those MOPAR parts are more than double the price listed on the website. He wanted 55$ just for each hood scoop bezel -_-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts