Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hopefully within the very near future I will officially be a part of this community as I am on the hunt right now. so ive basically boiled it down to the 2013/2014 models. essentially pre 2015s post 2012s(maybe 2012s but still iffy on them). I just like the simple interior and the minor exterior differences of the pre 2015s.

Sfor the longest time i was set on looking for an SXT cuz im in my mid 20s, insurance, gas, and what not. but for those specific years i guess the insurance cost isnt much of a difference, based on just a couple quotes i did(of course not 100% accurate but still). and thinking of switching to a v8 in the future(cuz hemi sound lol), but i realized since i only want the 2014/2014 models, they're only gonna get older as time goes on.and then i came across a relatively cheap 2013 rt and got me thinking hmmm.. the gas mileage is really only a couple mpg apart for the sxt and rt.

so my question is, or id just like a couple advice i guess too, what really is the difference between like the money that goes into the rt vs sxt? like ive read somewhere someone saying they fill up once a week, and ive read somewhere some ppl say they hardly notice a difference. of course it all depends on how one drives it, so to paint somewhat of a picture currently my work is about a 5 minute drive, and for other reasons a couple times a week most i'd cross over to ny(via george washintgon, im from north jersey right by the bridge). so that prob would up take most of the percentage .

but ya, thanks to anyone who read it up to this far and i would truly appreciate any type of feedback!

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,912 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 RT Scat Pack 6MT Sublime Green
112 Posts
If V8's guzzling gas is a more serious issue than just a cringe at a gas pump, you should get an SXT. No matter what paper says there will be a significant difference, especially if you sit in the NYC traffic. I can feel the difference even between 5.7 and 6.4 for a long drive or a grocery run. If not, go ahead and try to find a V8. You already know you would "eventually" want a V8. Shop well and good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If V8's guzzling gas is a more serious issue than just a cringe at a gas pump, you should get an SXT. No matter what paper says there will be a significant difference, especially if you sit in the NYC traffic. I can feel the difference even between 5.7 and 6.4 for a long drive or a grocery run. If not, go ahead and try to find a V8. You already know you would "eventually" want a V8. Shop well and good luck.
So you're saying the ppl that say theres barely a difference in the v6 and the v8 in terms of gas are wrong? or they must be just super aggressive drivers?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I cannot say other people are wrong for sure because it depends on multiple factors/conditions, but I doubt if 'there is barely a difference' is a true statement. I believe 2014 SXT comes with the new pentastar 3.6L that is supposed to be a fuel efficient engine. In my previous RT, I was OK if I could do 17mpg or better (very happy if better than 18 mpg). In some interstate only drives, I think I posted 23+ mpg, but never 25mpg. And I do not have a lead foot. Pentastar 3.6L is supposed to do 30mpg on highway and if in real life the engine could do only a few miles better than those numbers, V6 owners would be enraged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cannot say other people are wrong for sure because it depends on multiple factors/conditions, but I doubt if 'there is barely a difference' is a true statement. I believe 2014 SXT comes with the new pentastar 3.6L that is supposed to be a fuel efficient engine. In my previous RT, I was OK if I could do 17mpg or better (very happy if better than 18 mpg). In some interstate only drives, I think I posted 23+ mpg, but never 25mpg. And I do not have a lead foot. Pentastar 3.6L is supposed to do 30mpg on highway and if in real life the engine could do only a few miles better than those numbers, V6 owners would be enraged.
yes ur correct, the 2013/2014 does come with the pentastar 3.6 which on paper says 18 city 27 highway. hmmm, i see your point there. that is one of the two pretty much only factors(other being insurance) that causes ppl to get the v6..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Under the current circumstances, my Scat Pack is a grocery-run machine (less than 5 miles round trip) :LOL: I get about 13 - 14 mpg 😱 I believe my previous RT would get 14 - 15 mpg when used similarly. My guess is an SXT with 8A would still get 18 - 19 mpg, which is a sizable difference from the gas mileage of V8's. Plus, V8's require premium gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Under the current circumstances, my Scat Pack is a grocery-run machine (less than 5 miles round trip) :LOL: I get about 13 - 14 mpg 😱 I believe my previous RT would get 14 - 15 mpg when used similarly. My guess is an SXT with 8A would still get 18 - 19 mpg, which is a sizable difference from the gas mileage of V8's. Plus, V8's require premium gas.
the pre 2015 sxt's only have the 5 speed.. hmm i see

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,513 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I’d say that if you’re heading toward a V8 eventually, then just go there. I’d bet you would go through the “man I should have gone with the V8”, so just go straight there and save yourself the self doubt and questions. Keep your foot out of it and you’ll do just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts