Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how long I'll have it. It may not be the car me.

It's so good looking I'm nervous to drive it.
Also, one of the things often said about this muscle car is that it drives peacefully as a "regular" car until you want to have fun and drive like a hooligan.

Well, driving it around like a "regular" car is boring. Yes it looks and sounds great but the driving sensation / dynamic isnt very fun.

For example, a quick grocery store trip on 40 mph roads can be fun in a small, sporty car. But the Challenger isnt fun to drive unless lots of speed is involved.

Maybe that's it. It's not fun until the speeds are high.

Sure it looks great but that doesnt do anything for me when I'm driving it, only when I'm outside looking at it. As it sits in the garage.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had test drive a used Scat Pack and although it was fun because I could really get on it (have only got on it a couple times in my car) it was an auto and figured that spoiled some of the fun. (I like manuals!)

So, I bought one and nursed it through the break in period. I got on it a couple times and it wasnt as fun as I'd hoped. This car needs room to roam. My commute is more fun in my smaller sporty car and I get more full-throttle time in it.

Again, I guess I'm missing something.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Not sure how long I'll have it. It may not be the car me.

It's so good looking I'm nervous to drive it.
Also, one of the things often said about this muscle car is that it drives peacefully as a "regular" car until you want to have fun and drive like a hooligan.

Well, driving it around like a "regular" car is boring. Yes it looks and sounds great but the driving sensation / dynamic isnt very fun.

For example, a quick grocery store trip on 40 mph roads can be fun in a small, sporty car. But the Challenger isnt fun to drive unless lots of speed is involved.

Maybe that's it. It's not fun until the speeds are high.

Sure it looks great but that doesnt do anything for me when I'm driving it, only when I'm outside looking at it. As it sits in the garage.

Am I missing something?
There is some truth to the saying a lower powered car can be more "fun" as one can hoon around in it with less risk of things going wrong.

I have a Hellcat. And a MINI JCW. I can hoon around in the JCW and about all that results is the front tire tread disappears. Well, that is an exaggeration as I'm pretty restrained even in the JCW. But I do enjoy for instance when getting on the freeway stretching the JCW's legs so to speak. I can run it up to near red line in a couple of the lower gears and I like that. Yet I'm not in felony territory with my driving.

But in the Hellcat on the same on ramp by the time I'm at the end of the ramp and entering the freeway proper the car is at the speed limit.

Might add that neither the Hellcat or the JCW come anywhere near my Boxster in terms of driving dynamics. But the Boxster was a sports car designed/built to be one from the ground up.

In that car whether it was a grocery run or my work commute or a blast on a mountain road the car was always fun. I really enjoyed that car and put 317K miles on it from Jan. 2002 to Dec. 2017.

With the Hellcat, even though I can't use all the power of the Hellcat, I still enjoy driving the Hellcat. Used it for a grocery run Saturday. Pretty mundane but still it was "fun" drive.

Bottom line is if you want "sports car" driving dynamics the Scat Pack ain't for you.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Perhaps someone could tell me how to edit my post to fix typo's and such?
After you post at the top of your post there should be an "Edit" you can click on to bring your post back into an edit window.

For instance I'm editing this post now. I wanted to paste in this:

#5 a moment ago

Edit

Sorry for the goofy format but you can see the post number: "#5", and when the post was posted: "a moment ago", and last but not least the "Edit" link.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,891 Posts
There is an old adage that says, "slow car fast is more fun than fast car slow".

Either way, driving around like an idiot is looked down upon regardless of what you're driving.

Where do you live?

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Guess that the OP should have taken a longer, mellow test drive, before peeing away a whole lot of money on a car that he doesn't like.

Expensive mistake indeed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After you post at the top of your post there should be an "Edit" you can click on to bring your post back into an edit window.

For instance I'm editing this post now. I wanted to paste in this:

#5 a moment ago

Edit

Sorry for the goofy format but you can see the post number: "#5", and when the post was posted: "a moment ago", and last but not least the "Edit" link.
Thanks I'll look for that.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,039 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Well take it to the drag strip on a tune and test day and put it to good use and I think you will have fun. I enjoy driving mine every time I take it out, but then I don't enjoy riding in small sporty cars as they are too small and uncomfortable for me. But if that's your thing go get one, life's too short to spend it in a car you don't like.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess that the OP should have taken a longer, mellow test drive, before peeing away a whole lot of money on a car that he doesn't like.

Expensive mistake indeed.
You said it!

I must say I can stare at it a long time! It's a great-looking car.

When I think of what a "cool car" is now, when I was 20, 15, 10, and probably 5 years old I would say this was a cool car that I wanted!

It's a great car to "show off" of course but I dont care what other people think about what I drive as long as it doesnt scream "broke loser / druggie" or something like that.

I'd rather have a car that was less expensive, less pretty, but more fun to drive.

The car is mostly paid for and I hope to have it paid off in a year. Maybe I'll feel better about it then but I dont think so.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum. Well take it to the drag strip on a tune and test day and put it to good use and I think you will have fun. I enjoy driving mine every time I take it out, but then I don't enjoy riding in small sporty cars as they are too small and uncomfortable for me. But if that's your thing go get one, life's too short to spend it in a car you don't like.
Thanks.

I haven't been on a drag strip since I discovered open tracking.

Despite the Challenger's weight I actually have no doubt it would be fun to drive on a road course!

Great sounds and decent enough grip and chassis control. It's not going to transition well but it can fun being the underdog and be passing people with better tools for the job because you have skills haha.

However I would have bought something else if I wanted superior road course performance.

Again, I think the car would still be very fun to take on a road course.

And I will if I keep it, when I get more miles on it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had test drive a used Scat Pack and although it was fun because I could really get on it (have only got on it a couple times in my car) it was an auto and figured that spoiled some of the fun. (I like manuals!)

So, I bought one and nursed it through the break in period. I got on it a couple times and it wasnt as fun as I'd hoped. This car needs room to roam. My commute is more fun in my smaller sporty car and I get more full-throttle time in it.

Again, I guess I'm missing something.
I can sympathize a bit. Did some maintenance of the kid's college car, a 2013 Dart 1.4T M6 over the weekend and rediscovered how much I loved that little car. Now-that car isn't going to turn heads on the street or beat a muscular bicyclist off a stoplight, but on the road, it is a really fun car to drive. Took it on some nice curved and hilly roads and it stuck pretty well, the M6 is fun to run through the gears, and you can really get on it. That turbo kicks in around 2500 RPM and if you are just downshifting on the freeway you can get into felony territory in gears 4-6 in no time. It gets into the 105-110 range in a blink. It is a really great car for a small, sporty commuter, and the 41mpg is nice. But it is a small, stripped-down car and not as comfortable on long trips. For long road trips, nothing beats my 3.6 A8 Charger.

On the other hand, my SPWB is a monster of a car. I love looking at it, listening to it, and driving it. I test drove an M6 and realized that was a bad idea for me going through traffic, which I often have to. But on the open road and on some back roads where I can let it breathe, and use the paddles or autostick, it is a completely different experience. It also ranks up there for comfort on a long weekend drive. I haven't tracked it yet, but owning this has inspired me to go to driving school just to use all its capabilities. It is not a sports car, but a really fun muscle car with some extra fun included.
I guess matching your vehicle with your expectations of it is important. Right now I am wanting a truck.....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Welcome from California ;) I have never owned a car that I expected to cause adrenaline every time I drove it lol. The cool is always there. The comfort and features are always there. The ability to ramp up the adrenaline is always there. I guess you'd need to live on a racetrack ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome from California ;) I have never owned a car that I expected to cause adrenaline every time I drove it lol. The cool is always there. The comfort and features are always there. The ability to ramp up the adrenaline is always there. I guess you'd need to live on a racetrack ;)

A Guy
Excellent point. ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To update, I've found the car is more fun to drive when I drive it like it's someone else's or they are at least paying for the gas. :)

Short trips during times of lower traffic can be fun. Am I getting my money's worth? Absolutely not. A $15k Mustang or Camaro with $5k in mods would be more fun and cheaper. (uglier, too) But I suppose I'll hang on to it until I find something I like better.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
If you have the space and budget for a second car I would recommend getting a nice used Focus or Fiesta ST as a nimble small great handling DD. I had a 2013 Focus ST for 4 years and loved it. I only traded it in on my Challenger GT because I wanted to try an AWD car as my DD that looked and had the same interior and control lay out as my Challenger Scat Pack and just did not have the parking space to keep it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts