Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did Dodge screw with the trim levels? It’s always been that if someone said they had the R/T you knew it was the 5.7 and if they said SRT you knew it was the 392. Now you can have an R/T with the 392 if you get the scat pack... should have just left it alone. Just my .02c

·
Super Moderator
13,605 Posts
It's all about profit. FCA wanted to sell more Challengers, so they offered the 392 SRT engine in a less expensive model, the R/T, and called it the Scat Pack. Basically, they look a page out of the classic muscle car days when you could order a stripped down model for pure performance.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Why did Dodge screw with the trim levels? It’s always been that if someone said they had the R/T you knew it was the 5.7 and if they said SRT you knew it was the 392. Now you can have an R/T with the 392 if you get the scat pack... should have just left it alone. Just my .02c

That's funny! Lol

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Dodge has always been confusing things....
just from memory -
SRT - 392 (6.4L) 2015-2018
SRT Hellcat - 378 S/C (6.2L) 2015-2020
SRT8 - 370 (6.1L) 2009-2010
SRT8 - 392 (6.4L) 2011-2014
SE - 219 (3.6L) 2009-2011
SXT - 219 (3.6L) 2012-2020
R/T - 392 (6.4L) 2015-2020 Scatpack
R/T - 345 (5.7L) 2009-2020
R/T can also be an SXT w/ R/T package (few early 2015's)
T/A can be either 345 or 392
Daytona (charger models) can be 345, 392 & now for 2020 a 6.2S/C

Ive probably missed a few of the more obscure change ups.

It could be argued though, that the individual trim levels are more of a "package level" designation which may (or may not) carry with it a certain engine, than solely a powertrain identifier. 1st Gen charger/challengers are just as confusing, with 1970-71 R/T being 440, 440+6, 426Hemi, and having R/T-S/E, V8 SE & Rallye versions 1972-74, etc.

Its almost like we need decoder rings! :oops:

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,877 Posts
It's all about profit. FCA wanted to sell more Challengers, so they offered the 392 engine in a less expensive model, the R/T, and called it the Scat Pack. Basically, they look a page out of the classic muscle car days when you could order a stripped down model for pure performance.
If we could go even more stripped down, that's be great.

A 392 with no brembos, no power seats, regular or STP R/T suspension.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

1320 model maybe as close as dodge will come in a production car, outside of the no-vin drag pack.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
412 Posts
Back in '70 and '71 the R/T was the top of the Challenger performance ladder. And, you could get an R/T with a 383, 440, or 426 HEMI.

In '72, the Dodge Challenger R/T became the Challenger Rallye and a 340 was the top engine (I think.)

Since 2003, the SRT name has represented the top of the performance ladder and was even a stand alone brand for two years. Now, FCA uses SRT to designate the model at the top of the performance ladder for a particular model. My theory is that's why they dropped the 392 down to R/T status since the Supercharged 378/6.2L is at the top of the Challenger horsepower chart.

Note that the 392 still holds SRT status in the Dodge Durango as there's not a supercharged engine for that vehicle --- yet.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts

Believe me, you want Brembos with the 392.

I used to think the same as you, before I bought one.

FCA made the right call with these brakes and the 392.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The part you're missing is easy to point to.

You may be looking for "bragging rights" to owning a higher trim level or maybe you just like the idea of knowing without any real effort required what trim level a model is by looking at it.

That's OK.

How-ever Dodge is far less concerned with any of that. The priority at Dodge is selling Challengers, as many as they can.

The newest Scat pack with it's formerly Hell Cat only hood and wide body appearance package, available does muddy the water if you want to easily identify models but for Dodge these are things they've come to understand will help them sell more cars. That's all there is to this. It's all there ever was or ever will be.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,877 Posts
The part you're missing is easy to point to.

You may be looking for "bragging rights" to owning a higher trim level or maybe you just like the idea of knowing without any real effort required what trim level a model is by looking at it.

That's OK.

How-ever Dodge is far less concerned with any of that. The priority at Dodge is selling Challengers, as many as they can.

The newest Scat pack with it's formerly Hell Cat only hood and wide body appearance package, available does muddy the water if you want to easily identify models but for Dodge these are things they've come to understand will help them sell more cars. That's all there is to this. It's all there ever was or ever will be.
Because the average man doesn't give a ship what badge is on the outside, and the ones that do either can't afford it or they're buying Ferrari/Lamborghini instead.

The very niche demographic that can both afford it and doesn't buy higher status brands can go pound dirt for all Dodge cares. Obviously they'd never say that, but that's clearly what their business practices show.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,223 Posts
Geez, they give buyers options and it is bad?
You can get any of the 4 engines with just about any interior and tech. I call that a win.
Also, 2009/2010, the base engine was the older 3.5. And on the Chargers they had another engine at the low end, the 178hp 2.7. How many engines are available in an Impala, or a Avalon?

·
Super Moderator
14,848 Posts
Once the Hellcat models came along - buyers tended to gravitate towards that model - there had been comments about why the SRT models were typically loaded up with many features as standard and were expensive. the 222 - 312hp difference among the Hellcat variants and the 392 was enough to attract buyers to spend that much more.

By 2017 things began changing and from '18 onwards, that a lot of items formerly standard equipment on SRT trim became optional with lower MSRP pricing on base equipment levels.
The SRT8 has sold in low volumes, even when it was the "top" level model during the '09 - '14 run. Once the Hellcats were on sale, the SRT392 models remained a low volume seller which led to the end of the SRT392 trim level after 2018.

back in 2014 planning for the '15 model production, an 11th hour decision with FCA product planning and marketing came up with the R/T Scat Pack designation to offer the 392 engine with the range of minimal equipment (cloth interior, 5" radio, base audio) with the suspension / brakes / powertrain that the '11 - '14 SRT8 (with 392) had. Its been a sales success beyond what FCA anticipated.

any major auto manufacturer is out to sell in volume to recoup development, tooling and marketing costs - they aren't a boutique builder.

any of those companies that have that niche - look at the prices. Most of us on this forum aren't that demographic of buyer.

·
Super Moderator
14,848 Posts
$40k is hardly blue collar, but at least attainable in the used market after a few years.
the '08 SRT8 started at $39.9k and optioned up was $44k - almost 12 years ago.

Granted today's Scat Pack starts at that same price this many years later with 60hp / 50ft.lb more than the 6.1 engine.

with inflation $39.9k is worth nearly $48k today

·
Registered
2015 SubLime Pearl, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
56 Posts
OH BOY........this discussion will bring out all kinds of "points of view". And of course, I have one too.

When you have a tiger by the tail, you better hang on for a hell of a ride. That's what FCA is doing with everything Challenger or Charger. A PR/sales/profit bonanza. It's a fantastic generator of enthusiasm like we've never seen before.

When it's all said n done, any owner will be able to say,............."with this combination of options, I have the rarest of rare Challenger or Charger ever made". Look no farther than the 1970-1971 builds that captivate buyers today.

But that was then, certainly not today...........yet.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,877 Posts
Did anyone care about that crap back in the day?

I feel like that's all a recent phenomenon that came about once a large majority of boomers started retiring and trying to one up each other.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Did anyone care about that crap back in the day?

I feel like that's all a recent phenomenon that came about once a large majority of boomers started retiring and trying to one up each other.
Sure, some folks did. Didn't want a stripped Road Runner, enter the GTX. All the go and all the stuff.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts