Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,877 Posts
Sure, some folks did. Didn't want a stripped Road Runner, enter the GTX. All the go and all the stuff.
Wasn't referring to the trims, but more to the build combination non-sense.

What do you consider a blue collar price for any new car?
$20k or under? That's entirely my opinion, but I know $40k is not blue collar pricing.

Ahhh.......praiseV8. A person who has nothing good to say.
"Thou are black."

Quoth the pot, to the kettle.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,223 Posts
$20K, that WAS the average price for an average new car. When I bought my Intrepid. IN 1993!
Sorry, cars cost more now, period. Thank your government for all the mandatory crap now. Rear defrosters, MANDATORY, TPMS Mandatory for 12 years now, Back up camera, MANDATORY. Along with all the other things. Personally I blame boomers too. It is a shame all of us (I make it by months, my wife doesn't) decided to work for a living, and 30-40 years later actually can buy something like others did when we were kids. Just to hear some numbskull label it. BOOM

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
92 Posts
Bring back the days of individual options rather than packages.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Wasn't referring to the trims, but more to the build combination non-sense.

$20k or under? That's entirely my opinion, but I know $40k is not blue collar pricing.

"Thou are black."

Quoth the pot, to the kettle.
Well, as usual, you know what you're talking about!

I'll stop now. Lol

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack WK
66 Posts
Dodge has always been confusing things....
just from memory -
SRT - 392 (6.4L) 2015-2018
SRT Hellcat - 378 S/C (6.2L) 2015-2020
SRT8 - 370 (6.1L) 2009-2010
SRT8 - 392 (6.4L) 2011-2014
SE - 219 (3.6L) 2009-2011
SXT - 219 (3.6L) 2012-2020
R/T - 392 (6.4L) 2015-2020 Scatpack
R/T - 345 (5.7L) 2009-2020
R/T can also be an SXT w/ R/T package (few early 2015's)
T/A can be either 345 or 392
Daytona (charger models) can be 345, 392 & now for 2020 a 6.2S/CC
I think you only missed the GT. V6 only, option of RWD or AWD. Not sure what the other option are that make this trim different than the SXT.

·
Registered
425 Posts
$20K, that WAS the average price for an average new car. When I bought my Intrepid. IN 1993!
Sorry, cars cost more now, period. Thank your government for all the mandatory crap now. Rear defrosters, MANDATORY, TPMS Mandatory for 12 years now, Back up camera, MANDATORY. Along with all the other things.
^This x1000000000

·
Registered
425 Posts
Google: 20 Best Vehicles Under $20,000
  • 2019 Honda Fit.
  • 2020 Kia Soul.
  • 2019 Kia Forte.
  • 2019 Honda Civic.
  • 2019 Chevrolet Cruze.
  • 2020 Toyota Corolla.
  • 2019 Hyundai Kona.
  • 2019 Hyundai Accent.
^see any similarities in those choices?

If any manufacturer could sell a 'performance' vehicle for $20k dollars and make money they'd probably be worth more than Tesla.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,877 Posts
$40k is hardly blue collar, but at least attainable in the used market after a few years.
What do you consider a blue collar price for any new car?
Google: 20 Best Vehicles Under $20,000
  • 2019 Honda Fit.
  • 2020 Kia Soul.
  • 2019 Kia Forte.
  • 2019 Honda Civic.
  • 2019 Chevrolet Cruze.
  • 2020 Toyota Corolla.
  • 2019 Hyundai Kona.
  • 2019 Hyundai Accent.
^see any similarities in those choices?

If any manufacturer could sell a 'performance' vehicle for $20k dollars and make money they'd probably be worth more than Tesla.
Only @19johned53 said new, I meant $20k or under, new OR used. Hardly matters when you're working with a sub $40k yearly wage where a $20k car is quite the luxury. There's no such thing as a performance car for cheap anymore. You have sport-ish cars, but not actual performance cars.

Sorry, cars cost more now, period. Thank your government for all the mandatory crap now. Rear defrosters, MANDATORY, TPMS Mandatory for 12 years now, Back up camera, MANDATORY. Along with all the other things. Personally I blame boomers too. It is a shame all of us (I make it by months, my wife doesn't) decided to work for a living, and 30-40 years later actually can buy something like others did when we were kids. Just to hear some numbskull label it. BOOM
Again, I didn't say new, @19johned53 did. I couldn't give a rat's ass if new cars cost more. If the average new car price went up to $100k, and people still only made $40k a year, $20k is STILL about all they're going to be able to afford, which lands it in the blue collar price range.

AND AGAIN, this is all my opinion and will obviously vary wildly from person to person. For example, I was able to afford my car in California since I was living with my parents and only paying for our groceries and some utilities. There's no way I would have been able to afford that, or even an SXT with my initial wages, if I also had to pay rent near Silicon Valley.

·
Registered
2019 RT Scat Pack 6MT Sublime Green
57 Posts
The part you're missing is easy to point to.

You may be looking for "bragging rights" to owning a higher trim level or maybe you just like the idea of knowing without any real effort required what trim level a model is by looking at it.

That's OK.

How-ever Dodge is far less concerned with any of that. The priority at Dodge is selling Challengers, as many as they can.

The newest Scat pack with it's formerly Hell Cat only hood and wide body appearance package, available does muddy the water if you want to easily identify models but for Dodge these are things they've come to understand will help them sell more cars. That's all there is to this. It's all there ever was or ever will be.
I am among the minorities who prefer the subdued regular R/T hood, chrome accent instead of the blacked-out one in the front grill (thankfully, the R/T badge is not blacked-out), regular chrome fuel cap, and do not even want the splitter. Personally, I think Dodge has made the right move making what counts the most, the engine more affordable to more people. Mine is a barebone stock with no options (well, gas guzzler tax was added as an "option", but it does not do good to me) and I would have never been able to afford a 392 engine otherwise. So, I do not care if it is called R/T or SRT. I like the 392 Bee Badges and the bee showing up in the start-up screen, though :)

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,877 Posts
I am among the minorities who prefer the subdued regular R/T hood, chrome accent instead of the blacked-out one in the front grill (thankfully, the R/T badge is not blacked-out), regular chrome fuel cap, and do not even want the splitter. Personally, I think Dodge has made the right move making what counts the most, the engine more affordable to more people. Mine is a barebone stock with no options (well, gas guzzler tax was added as an "option", but it does not do good to me) and I would have never been able to afford a 392 engine otherwise. So, I do not care if it is called R/T or SRT. I like the 392 Bee Badges and the bee showing up in the start-up screen, though :)
Me too, my only gripe is that I wish the nostrils were actually chromed to match the fuel door.

Still debating if I should black out both or take the nostrils out and having them chromed in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Did anyone care about that crap back in the day?

I feel like that's all a recent phenomenon that came about once a large majority of boomers started retiring and trying to one up each other.
It clearly bothers more people now than it did back in the day.... Likely because when the performance angle 1st started you could pretty much order any motor in many cars... such as sticking anything from a /6 to a Max Wedge in a Station Wagon... or from a /6 to a 426 hemi in a plain jane Belvedere or Coronet... even a 4-door. So by the time the fancy names showed up... SS, GTO, GTS, GTX. Charger, Road Runner, Super Bee people just took the engine combo's in stride. And an awful lot of classic performance cars were ordered as striped down sleepers. I'm sure somewhere, some Gramps got certain amount of personal satisfaction blowing the doors off some yougn dude in a optioned out GTO Judge with his 66 white 4-door hemi Belvedere. 😀

Sure, some folks did. Didn't want a stripped Road Runner, enter the GTX. All the go and all the stuff.
But clearly not many...
80,000 383, 440+6 & Hemi 1969 budget Road Runners VS only 15,000 440 & hemi upscale GTX's
26,500+ 383, 440+6 & Hemi 1969 budget Super Bee's VS only 7000 440 & Hemi upscale Coronet R/T's
77,000 1970 Challengers built, but just 3750 were the high option RT/SE, + another 16,000+ RT's & TA's

Also back in the day there was A WHOLE LOT MORE engine swapping going on....
So what ended up under the hood, was of more interest than what came under the hood.
Hence so many classic cars missing their original motors. I used to swap motors in and out of my cars like the wind... it's too much of a pita & costly to do that on modern cars. As an example there was a guy near me that swapped a 340 INTO a real factory A12 Road Runner (Factory 440+6)... At 1st everyone thought he was nuts... until we quickly found out it was a 340 with W2 heads and was blowing the doors off everything in sight.

I find it funny how some SRT & Hellcat owners seemed to get butt hurt as soon as FCA offered "lower models" that included parts from their car... be it the hood, engine or tossing the whole front end on a v6 car.
I thought that kind of petty shit was reserved for Corvette owners. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
About the only change I would like to see is them divorce the stereo from the rest of the car, making a head unit swap an easy thing, but that's not going to happen.

On my own car, other than my unending unhappiness with the HK stereo, I wouldn't change a thing. Everything on it is used, and not ignored. If I had big $$$ to blow, I would take it to some car audio guru and tell him, "Impress me!", and let him do it.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,223 Posts
Only @19johned53 said new, I meant $20k or under, new OR used. Hardly matters when you're working with a sub $40k yearly wage where a $20k car is quite the luxury. There's no such thing as a performance car for cheap anymore. You have sport-ish cars, but not actual performance cars...
$20K can buy just about any 5 year old type of car you want used. From a nice Mercedes C Class, a 5.7 Charger/Challenger, Miatas, just about any segment you want. Unless you start combing dreams like Luxury and Suv, or Luxury and Sports car.
Heck $20K can get you a Cadillac ELR, those were $65K new. $40K per year ain't bad money, go find some of those lazy evil rich people and get them to pay you to do stuff for them.
$20K can get you a couple of wrecked Mustangs, just find 2 that hit the crowd from different angles, so you can make 1 complete car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,917 Posts
$20K can get you a couple of wrecked Mustangs, just find 2 that hit the crowd from different angles, so you can make 1 complete car.
So you have to crowd source them?

A Guy

21 - 34 of 34 Posts