Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. Proud owner of a new '11 Challenger "Rallye." I was coming from a '07 Charger SXT.

I just picked the car up on Sunday. The sales guy I worked with told me that the stripes on the vehicle were just put on a couple days before.

Well, today I was getting ready to use BND's cleaner and protectant on the interior and couldn't resist making a walk around the vehicle to take in all of its glory. Thats when I noticed something on the hood - the stripes appear to be cracking/chipping/peeling - after less than 2 days of ownership and less than a week of being put on.

So I contacted the dealership - sales guy is on vacation for a week. I called back to service/detailing - shared my story. Yep - they aren't interested in helping me at all. They are blaming it on wear and tear from mother nature. Now granted it has been raining the past 2 days - but the car remains in the garage; has not been out in any type of heavy wind, storm, etc.; and is even parked in a garage at work.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and if so what are your recommendations? It has been escalated to the service manager, whom does not seem to care, either. It's like "sale has been made, moving on" - but they did offer to repaint the stripes at my cost. :disgust:

Here is the cracking on the hood:

Here is a bubble I found on the roof:

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Wow I'd be careful about any further dealings with the service department.

Is there a way to contact the dealerhip owner? He/She may not care, but may get you help so as not to be bothered by peons. About a week after purchase, I was contacted by telephone for a satisfaction survey, then a written survey a few weeks after that - if that happens, make your displeasure known.

I'd be finding numbers for the business, Dodge, and become a PITA til they made it right.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's brand new? The stripes are "painted"?

Attorney time.
Well, thats how they refer to it. It looks more to me like the stripes are the stick on kind. Ive seen them bubble before - but never crack like they are on the hood.

Just saw the pics. There's definitely something wrong here.

Don't give up the fight.
Not planning to - was just hoping for an easy solution. This is my 2nd Dodge and was hoping for a more pleasant experience. Toward the end my Charger was having a lot of issues - tranny leak, shifter locked out, windshield wipers stopped working, etc - all right outside of the 3yr/36k.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Well, thats how they refer to it. It looks more to me like the stripes are the stick on kind. Ive seen them bubble before - but never crack like they are on the hood.

Not planning to - was just hoping for an easy solution. This is my 2nd Dodge and was hoping for a more pleasant experience. Toward the end my Charger was having a lot of issues - tranny leak, shifter locked out, windshield wipers stopped working, etc - all right outside of the 3yr/36k.
This sounds like a dealer issue, not a Dodge one.

I had the tranny leak, shifter lockout and cooling fan problems with my Charger. Still loved it! ;)
The Challenger is getting a lifetime Maxcare warranty.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Most dealer installed striping is vinyl, not painted. Not sure if they outsource the striping or not, but I would want to talk to the General Manager of the dealership, not the sales manager, not the service manager.

Also, what looks like 'cracks' is actully torn and re-applied. Someone either failed miserably at the install, or tried peeling it back for ?? reason.

·
Registered
630 Posts
No doubt, it is poor workmanship. I have been installing striping for 30+ years and the install is done incorrectly. Talk to the dealership manager. If you do not get the answer that you need, call Chrysler! Believe it or not they can make the dealership listen if they want to keep their dealership.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also, what looks like 'cracks' is actully torn and re-applied. Someone either failed miserably at the install, or tried peeling it back for ?? reason.[/QUOTE]
Exactly- looks like it tore during install and the installer tried to pull a fast one

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Also, what looks like 'cracks' is actully torn and re-applied. Someone either failed miserably at the install, or tried peeling it back for ?? reason.

Exactly what I said when I saw the photos.. Whomever did these stripes obviously put them on "dry" that's a no-no... They should have been saturated with a mixture of soap and glass cleaner (no-tack) and once in place, squeegeed out.. Instead it looks like they put them on dry and when it stuck in the wrong place, they tried to peel it back and ripped it.. This stuff isn't very thick..

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd contact Dodge customer service and write them a very long letter. I would explain your situation, and tell them a complaint to the BBB and a call to your attorney is going to be your move if the problem is not resolved. You can also explain to the dealership that you belong to a lot of automotive forums and you plan on writing multiple reviews of your experience with that dealership.

I had a bad experience with a certain dealership in my area a year ago. I wrote multiple online reviews on a bunch of Mopar based forums explaining my awful experience with them. The title of the threads said the name of the dealership followed by sucks big time. Every time someone googled the dealership, all of my threads were in the first page of the search results. I can only hope that cost them a few sales.

When Dodge customer service called me back, they told me to take it to the dealer again. And wouldn't you know, all of my issues were fixed no questions asked. I then had the mods of the forums delete the reviews. Good luck with your issue, I'm sorry to hear about your new car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the support and tips, everyone. I will heed the advice and let everyone know what the end result turns out to be.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well everyone, have an update.

The dealer decided to make good on everything and have the stripes replaced. The best part about all of this though? When i took it in and the technician that was going to work on the car saw it he said "oh, i remember this car. you're probably back for the hood defect, huh?"

As I am sure you can imagine, I was floored. He knew about it the whole time which means the dealer sold it to me that way and I just didnt notice it. Before bringing the car out to me they got too close with the pressure washer and cracked the stripe. When the technician that was cleaning it told the stripe guy he tried to "fix it" AKA "hide it."

While I cant complain too much because the dealer gave me a great deal on trade in of my Charger and sold me the Challenger under invoice + extras... it still boggles my mind. Before I left the dealership I made mention of this to the manager that was in sales and the manager that was in the body shop. They both apologized for the inconvenience and I was on my way. My thoughts as I left? I didnt get the feeling that anything would be done to prevent this type of behavior in the future.

Oh well - shes back and I gave her a thorough walk before leaving the lot. Shes good to go.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
they are scum. they tried to pull a fast one on you. they knew it was damaged and knew it would be their dime to fix it and hoped to hell you wouldnt notice it for a while so they could claim it wasnt them. i hate scum like that

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thats outrageous. They should definately help you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
yeah looks like they covered it but it might be time to look into another dealership that you dont have to argue and fight with to fix a problem they admitted was there own. there are way to many dealerships out there to have to fight with them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
they are scum. they tried to pull a fast one on you. they knew it was damaged and knew it would be their dime to fix it and hoped to hell you wouldnt notice it for a while so they could claim it wasnt them. i hate scum like that
I am afraid I have to agree, they are scum. They are the lowest form of life. It's all about the money. And they hire dumb focks who ruin a brand new car! Incompetant low lifes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another update - however unrelated. Picked my Challenger up from its 4TH visit to the dealer today. What a pain in the ass this has been.

1st: Passenger side door not responding to keyfob
2nd: Stripes "cracked"
3rd: Passive keyless entry not responding (part ordered)
4th: Part replaced for passive keyless - still not fixed (ordered new door handles)

So sometime next week I will have to go back in for my 5TH trip to the dealer to get the door handles replaced. Whats also awesome is I had to leave my vehicle there last night because they jacked my keyfobs up and couldn't get them reprogrammed. They had to put me in a rental.

Went to pick it up today and not only did I find out that the issue wasn't fixed and Ill have to come back for a 5th time... they fixed my keyfobs but now cant get the push button starter to work.

Not asking for much, other than it to work. A gas card or something sure would be nice. 5 trips there and back in 2 weeks for issues is a little ridiculous to me.

/rant :notallthere:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts