Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
2018 Billet Silver SRT 392 (1 of 2)
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of a 2018 SRT 392 about 8 days ago and I absolutely love the car! I do have a question for you Challenger owners. When I sit in the car at idle at a stoplight, I noticed the car "moves" a bit when idling. It's just a sort of vibration or sensation. I'm thinking it feels like the normal vibration a car with a big ol' Hemi would have. I've never owned a car with such a powerful engine nor have I ever owned a muscle car so I don't have anything with which to compare. I can certainly tell you it doesn't feel like any of my previous cars where you weren't even sure the engine was running. I really don't think there's anything wrong. It doesn't sound like the engine is missing or that there's any kind bad vibration. The tach stays steady. Personally, I think I'm just feeling the heartbeat of the beast within!

I was just curious to hear your thoughts and to find out if I'm describing something you may feel in your cars. By the way, I do realize it's very difficult to convey a feeling via the Internet!

Thanks,
saint 0:)

Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
Like not a rumble/vibration but more like the engine wants to jump out feeling?

I get that with SRT pages on while using ECO mode at a light. Seems to happen when it idles at 500 RPM.

EDIT: I lied, It's more like ~750 RPM, and tends to do it more while cold.

Reactions: saint

Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
I think it can be felt more in the 6 speeds and not at as much in the autos as the autos have softer engine mounts.

Registered
A bit of it could be the engine is still pretty "stiff" or "tight" and may smooth out a little as it gets broken in.

Registered
20k on my SP, and yes, at start up, it does still idle a little "rough". It does smooth out when to temp, but it's not a Honda or Toyota "smooth"..............thank God! lol

I've noticed that different brands of gas can make a difference in how smooth the idle can be, Make sure that the octane rating is at least 91, and if you can get alcohol free, it'll run even smoother.

Best of luck and enjoy the beast.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Second this! Love it as my SP vibrates a bit while at a red light. Knowing it's ready to take off like a racing horse at the starting gate waiting for the gate to open.
Yes! That's a good way to describe it!

I also enjoyed this: "it's not Honda or Toyota smooth...thank God!"

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
A bit of it could be the engine is still pretty "stiff" or "tight" and may smooth out a little as it gets broken in.
Good point since I have a whopping 150 miles on the car!

Super Moderator
That's normal for the 392 - long duration cam, you'll get a more lumpy idle - compared to the 5.7 or V6.

Registered
I think it can be felt more in the 6 speeds and not at as much in the autos as the autos have softer engine mounts.
Really???!!! This is interesting, what is your source for this information that autos have softer engine mounts, according to the parts catalog they are identical.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
Really???!!! This is interesting, what is your source for this information that autos have softer engine mounts, according to the parts catalog they are identical.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I was surprised myself.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/motor-mounts-36089/?36089=#post513611

Mopar Motor Mount Kit 05-10 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum 5.7L, 6.1L

https://www.highhorseperformance.com/Mopar_OEM_5_7L_6_Speed_Challenger_Motor_Mount_p/5180406ae.htm

Rockauto shows a hydraulic mount for my 2015. But Mopar parts only shows one type.

Attachments

Registered
When idling, esp on cooler days, it almost feels like the ac compressor is clicking on and off (with AC off). I get an abrupt "bump" in the idle but its very inconsistent. Happens every few seconds or so. Off-idle it couldn't be smoother. I know what a big cam feels like, but this is different......

Registered
I just took delivery of a 2018 SRT 392 about 8 days ago and I absolutely love the car! I do have a question for you Challenger owners. When I sit in the car at idle at a stoplight, I noticed the car "moves" a bit when idling. It's just a sort of vibration or sensation. I'm thinking it feels like the normal vibration a car with a big ol' Hemi would have. I've never owned a car with such a powerful engine nor have I ever owned a muscle car so I don't have anything with which to compare. I can certainly tell you it doesn't feel like any of my previous cars where you weren't even sure the engine was running. I really don't think there's anything wrong. It doesn't sound like the engine is missing or that there's any kind bad vibration. The tach stays steady. Personally, I think I'm just feeling the heartbeat of the beast within!

I was just curious to hear your thoughts and to find out if I'm describing something you may feel in your cars. By the way, I do realize it's very difficult to convey a feeling via the Internet!

Thanks,

I was worried about the vibration with my first car good to know it鈥檚 normal. Hey Saint did you post any pictures of your new car yet I was looking forward to taking a look. I started a thread with some pics of mine. The weather was been crappy and I鈥檝e been busy but finally I just decided to take them regardless before it snows haha.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/my-new-2018-srt-392-a-622442/#post7942530

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I was worried about the vibration with my first car good to know it鈥檚 normal. Hey Saint did you post any pictures of your new car yet I was looking forward to taking a look. I started a thread with some pics of mine. The weather was been crappy and I鈥檝e been busy but finally I just decided to take them regardless before it snows haha.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/my-new-2018-srt-392-a-622442/#post7942530
Yes, I posted some pictures in a few threads. Here's a link to my first posted pics (post #17).

Your car looks fantastic! What a unique color combination with that Octane Red and silver stripes! What do you think of the new 5-spoke wheels? Do you like them better than the Hyperblack "slingshot" wheels that were on the 15-17 models? I really liked those but have gotten a lot of compliments on the 5-spokes. The other good news is they're pretty easy to clean.

Enjoy that beautiful car of yours. I've kinda babied mine so far - only 330 miles.

Registered
Yes, I posted some pictures in a few threads. Here's a link to my first posted pics (post #17).

Your car looks fantastic! What a unique color combination with that Octane Red and silver stripes! What do you think of the new 5-spoke wheels? Do you like them better than the Hyperblack "slingshot" wheels that were on the 15-17 models? I really liked those but have gotten a lot of compliments on the 5-spokes. The other good news is they're pretty easy to clean.

Enjoy that beautiful car of yours. I've kinda babied mine so far - only 330 miles.

Thanks for the compliments.. I just took a look at yours and love it. It鈥檚 like my old car only better. And what a solid choice of back round scenery..looks like a ****in SRT post card or something..good luck I only have about 500 miles on mine but since this is your first powerful car I don鈥檛 blame you taking it easy at the start until you have a better feel for the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts