Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was time to have some necessary work done. With 27,500 miles on the R/T, I needed new pads and figured i would just go with new rotors too since the originals had already been turned once before. I had all this work done last night by a new tenant I moved into a commercial property that I manage. They have multiple locations and service many of the dealerships in the Phoenix-Metro area. These guys are the true motorheads you want working on your car.

I decided to go with EBC blanks instead of EBC slotted/dimpled because of the ease of cutting and I couldn't justify the "extra" performance that I would receive. To me, it's an upgrade where i can easily apply the law of diminishing values given how much I drive (partly for my job) and how I drive. I then chose to go with EBC Yellow Stuff pads because they should cater to the extra weight of the challenger as well as my desire for some better stopping grip. I also was trying to avoid some squealing some have with the EBC Red Stuff.

In my quest for improvement I also upgraded the brake lines with StopTech stainless steel braided lines to improve brake pedal feel and performance. Brakes are crucial to me and if i had the money, I'd throw on some brembos or baer brakes but I don't and i wanted to keep things simple and make and improvement from stock. This was an interesting endeavor since Goodridge seemed to be the only company to have SS lines for 2012's. Well, I had to actually call stoptech and they guided to me as to the ones that I needed since they are similar tot eh charges and 300's as the lines are same lengths and fittings.

My last upgrade was a last second decision and I had the shop put on magnaflows for me because i wanted a bit more grunt than i had before but nothing over the top, i wanted a muscle car grumble that is tolerable as a DD and is great for long trips that won't drive someone insane. This has been a debated subject for me for a while because of the drone issues. Already have the STP and louder exhaust, i still wanted a deeper grumble but no drone. It is somewhat counter-intuitive if you think about it. Louder exhaust but no drone? Well, this is what happens when you increase volume and have an engine that purrs and you cruise at certain RPM's. Well, needless to say, I am quite happy the magnaflows. I also want to mention, I kept the resonators in line and figured i could always remove them if I wanted. This is something that most seem to NOT do. Most seem to remove the resonators and just have different mufflers. I wanted to approach this project more scientifically. What i found is that i have more grumble and slight drone when the MDS kicks in but really no different than . Overall, the cars seems to run smoother. The switches between MDS and full bore are less noticeable and transition far smoother. The grumble is there when i want it and for the most part is as quiet as the original mufflers were if not quieter sometimes or louder. I am still evaluating it carefully, running it through the paces and all different kinds of driving. I am not jumping to any conclusions but so far I am very pleased and feel its a beneficial upgrade over stock at minimum just for improvements with smoothness.

Pictures are attached of some of the goodies!

O yeah, beautiful job.....One of the front rotors fell out of the box as i was taking it out of my trunk, hit the bumper, left a scuff/scratch and then fell on my big toe. The guys at the shop laughed at me and then karma struck and it fell on one of their feet. Justice served!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My rotors are pretty badly warped and between the potholes and just crappy roads in general, I think I'm going to be doing the same thing pretty soon, along with buying tires. My car just hit 36K and if I make it through summer before I need tires, I will be shocked. I was looking at the same rotors you got, I don't seem to have much luck with OEM rotors on any car I've had in a long time, so I think I'll go aftermarket. I had some braided hoses on my old Trans Am and I really liked the pedal with them.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'm looking at R1 for a brake set up.

As far as the brake lines, how much that run you?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ss brake lines were just over $200, ebc rotors and yellowstuff all around was $500 and mufflers and install was $410.

I am still wearing the new pads in so I cant give you a firm hard answer but so far I am very pleased. I was expecting the brakes to be more touchy with the ss brake lines but they dont really, maybe not yet. I was expecting it touchy as soon as I touched the pedal but I still the pressure build up before the pads catch but its probably normal. I remember when I first got the car, the brakes caught faster but that may be because the oem pads were thicker with the STP upgrade.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also bought all my brake stuff frok ebcrotors.com and ss brake lines from buybrakes.com

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Thanks Ian, will def be buying the lines but going the r1 concept route this summer for an brake set up along with 3.92 LSD rear end.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any reason you are going R1 in specific? Just curious!

3.92 lsd on the 6 cyl??? You can do that?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Of course you can and the reason I'm going the R1 concept route I've been following them awhile on Facebook and reading there post and comments from customers and I'm sold.

Since they aren't a vendor I'm not allowed to post link but do google what they offer for our challengers.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sure will, just ordered brake pads, rotors and SS brake lines from R1 concepts! Great service and can't wait for the setup to come in!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
My set up came in, I don't see me installing it til march or April.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sweet!!!! Are you installing yourself?

My yellowstuff pads squeal like a ***** and it's driving me nuts. That and the fact that i have to depress the brake pedal rather far before it catches is peeving me. It could be air so I'm going to have the system bled.

Besides squeal, I'm not sure how I'm liking the yellowstuff. Still need to drive with them some more.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
A local bud of mines just installed my set up today.

Beautiful set up and beautiful job done, no squealing, no leaks and a firm pedal!

It's only day 1, still have to feel it around alil but it's an awesome "upgrade".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts