Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In an effort to constantly improve our product line, we have been working with Wiseco to bring a better product to market for the late-model Hemi crowd.

We no longer use a generic round dish. By taking a mold of the combustion chamber, we can apply a dish that is a mirror image of the chamber. This forces all the fuel/air to the center of the combustion chamber where the spark plugs are for a more complete burn. Also, you can see that we now shave down the crown of the piston at the intake relief and exhaust relief in order to minimize the thin area that would normally be there due to the valve reliefs.

The skirt now extends further and the wrist pin area also extends out further.

We shortened the rod from a 6.200" to a 6.125" so that we could increase compression height and get the wrist pin out of the oil rail. This increased compression height aids in piston stability in the bore.

We are also now using .180" wall wrist pins instead of .130" wall wrist pins. Still Chromoly but 9310 tool steel is still optional.

That should cover all the new changes. Our standard offering now includes the most advanced set of pistons that we have available. The only upgrades to these pistons would be coatings and tool steel wrist pins.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Man... would I ever love to have a set of those. :)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me ask you something. When did you use them in your Snowmobile and motorcycle and why were they junk?

Also, Dodge makes a crappy mid-size car, but that doesn't mean the LX/LC is. I know you specified that you couldn't comment on the Hemi since you haven't used them but you must have felt that there was some relevance otherwise you wouldn't have brought it up.

·
Banned
903 Posts
I would like to hear the reason behind that post myself because I have used many Wiseco piston and never had an issue caused by the piston itself. I ran them in many 2 stroke dirt bikes that were raced regularly with not one issue. The only time I had an issue related to Weisco piston's was in a Polaris 3 cyclinder 780 Jet ski and the issue was not because of the piston's themself, the problem was the local machine shop was boring the cylinders to tight and they galled the skirts. I ended up sending the cylinders & pistons to Wiseco and they honed the cylinders,fitted new pistons and the only thing I paid for was the pistons at there cost. Personally I don't think they were liable for any of the issues I had but they took care of me, great customer service in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Had Wiseco in my snowmoblie and motorcycle, THERE JUNK. For the Hemi I cant say.
That's an awful broad statement without any facts to back it up.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I think that looks like a very nice design. Makes sense to me to mirror the two for a more efficient combustion.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Im not sure I understand your question. Compression ratio can be anything between 8:1 up to 15:1.
More likely I was confused.. the piston shape, dish / dome valve relief etc. would effectively determine the compression in an otherwise stock motor.. I was thinking this was 'the' piston option that was available. But now I'm guessing these are available in different compressions, so somewhat slightly different 'designs' .... So.... never mind.... question answered..

Thanks Andy.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
nice work Andy, always looking out for the Hemi guys

·
Registered
435 Posts
Those pistons look real nice,a lot better than the Mahle pistons I've seen.Do you keep the piston to wall clearances the same with a forged piston, compared to stock?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A 2618 forging requires between. 004-.0045 clearance. Cheaper 4032 pistons can run tighter tolerances but they give up some strength compared to 2618.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These new revised pistons have been working out really well for us. InferAl has them in his car and just became the first Challenger in the 10's NA. I dont attribute all that success from the piston alone, but it certainly isnt hurting. :)

Supercharged 393 motor.

NA 440

NA 426

1 - 17 of 17 Posts