Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at possibly buying an SRT8. What is the difference in an SRT8 and "392"? I'm assuming I should be looking at 2011 and newer for the bigger engine? I'm looking for a manual shift.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I'm looking at possibly buying an SRT8. What is the difference in an SRT8 and "392"? I'm assuming I should be looking at 2011 and newer for the bigger engine? I'm looking for a manual shift.
Yes, I would go for a 2011+ for the bigger, badder 392 (6.4l) engine. The 6.1l in the older SRTs is no slouch, but lacks the low end grunt that the torque monster 392 has.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,000 Posts
see the previous posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Thanks, why are some called "392" and have it on the side emblems?
That is the cubic inches of a 6.4L engine. It was the same size of the iconic 392 Hemi of the early Chrysler hemi engines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I know 392 is the cubic inches. Duh :scratchhead: What I'm trying to ask is has the 392 always been on the side? Or just since 2011? I also see it on some seats. Is this some kind of special edition?

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
392 has been on the side of all 2011+ SRT's, on the Core models it's a sticker on all others it's a 3D Chrome Emblem.

·
Registered
15,031 Posts
Core is a stripped down SRT8, cloth instead of leather, no adjustable suspension, no foglights, base radio, no auto headlights or Sirius and a few other things. All the good mechanical stuff without the fluff.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Core is a stripped down SRT8, cloth instead of leather, no adjustable suspension, no foglights, base radio, no auto headlights or Sirius and a few other things. All the good mechanical stuff without the fluff.
I like my fluff... LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you sir!

·
Super Moderator
16,204 Posts
Ok, I know 392 is the cubic inches. Duh :scratchhead: What I'm trying to ask is has the 392 always been on the side? Or just since 2011? I also see it on some seats. Is this some kind of special edition?
The Inaugural Edition 2011 SRT8s (1,392 of them in US market) all had the white/blue interior with 392 logos on the seats.
Exteriors were Blue w/ white stripes or White w/ blue stripes.
Later in the year, they had other colors and the "regular" SRT interior in the Dark Gray Slate color.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I believe the 2011 did not get the dual suspension, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I find the 2011 I.E. interior a bit much; I prefer the 2012+ model years.

The Radar Red interior appeared in 2012, but good luck finding a used one. They don't make many with that interior.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Found this on the web:

...news now comes via the folks at duPont Registry, that the high end [2012] Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 will also use adaptive damping suspension technology next year.

The two-mode system (Sport and Auto) senses a number of vehicle inputs, including vehicle speed, steering angle, brake torque, throttle position and lateral acceleration to tune the suspension’s response characteristics.

·
Super Moderator
16,204 Posts
So, does this make them more valuable?
They're more unique due to the interior, but time will tell if the IE interior versions claim a higher resale or interest in the future.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts