Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Can you elaborate on that?
Post #17

To elaborate further: Our housings were not designed for led bulbs. The housings reflect light from a single point, the center of the filament. LED bulbs have by comparison a large surface area emitting light and the pattern of light reflection is changed, and output behind the vehicle is diminished.

I've tried those bulbs in my Jeep. They were far dimmer. I've since found a much higher wattage led (single point emitter) that works with my diffuser on the lens type housing. Challenger has a clear housing (we can see the bulb) so that won't work either.

I used to work for Chrysler, am an electrical engineer, and used to sell leds on the side for fun, mostly for interior use where they have little drawbacks and no safety concerns.

·
Registered
285 Posts
To clarify, it was because those issues did not have evidence shown to the contrary, I bought a WE kit because I knew the use of the factory bulbs was solid and safe. The light output of 8 bulbs when you brake is impressive and maybe overkill. If this kit was brighter, that would actually be too much, but like I said, I highly doubt it is anywhere near as bright as stock.

As far as efficiency...we have large v8s in a 4000 lb car and I doubt they found a way to fool canbus without just using the same resistance as the stock bulbs and burning it up as heat instead of in the bulbs.

Reactions: 2BLU4U

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Post #17

To elaborate further: Our housings were not designed for led bulbs. The housings reflect light from a single point, the center of the filament. LED bulbs have by comparison a large surface area emitting light and the pattern of light reflection is changed, and output behind the vehicle is diminished.

I've tried those bulbs in my Jeep. They were far dimmer. I've since found a much higher wattage led (single point emitter) that works with my diffuser on the lens type housing. Challenger has a clear housing (we can see the bulb) so that won't work either.

I used to work for Chrysler, am an electrical engineer, and used to sell leds on the side for fun, mostly for interior use where they have little drawbacks and no safety concerns.
Ok, thanks!
Maybe it depends on the LED's. I installed LED taillights on my C5 Vette, & they are incredibly bright! Much more so than the OEM taillights. And the difference in brightness when you hit the brakes is incredible!

·
Registered
236 Posts
There has got to be a way we can makes our own (maybe not LED) using the sequential mustang harnesses... You can pick those up for $25-$100.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
285 Posts
Same type of leds in the vette? I'm not saying these can't be brighter, but the brake lights in my 300m and jeep were dimmer than stock. Running lights were possibly brighter. Speaks to the change in brightness between the two modes. Lumen ratings 10 feet behind a challenger for led and factory bulbs in running light and brake would be what I would need to see to buy these. Either a 3rd party test or a video with the test setup and lumen readings. Sure the op hates me, but you have to prove that these are safe. Don't want to be hit in a slight fog because my lights were dimmer than surrounding cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does this vendor even monitor this section of the forums? Sounds like no answers to questions asked here and 2 PMs unanswered for me.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Same type of leds in the vette? I'm not saying these can't be brighter, but the brake lights in my 300m and jeep were dimmer than stock. Running lights were possibly brighter. Speaks to the change in brightness between the two modes. Lumen ratings 10 feet behind a challenger for led and factory bulbs in running light and brake would be what I would need to see to buy these. Either a 3rd party test or a video with the test setup and lumen readings. Sure the op hates me, but you have to prove that these are safe. Don't want to be hit in a slight fog because my lights were dimmer than surrounding cars.
The LED Halo taillights for my C5 are integral units. Looking at them from the outside, I think its safe to say they are not similar to the LED's Ohio-Speed is selling. As I said, my C5 LED tails are much brighter than the OEM's, big difference in brightness when brake lights are activated, & they also light up instantantaneously as opposed to the split second delay with regular bulbs.
I also replaced my C5 DRLs with LED's, which are also very bright compared to OEM bulbs, and they do look very similar to the LED's Ohio-Speed is selling. Just a note, I also installed new reflector corner light housing specially designed for LED's which I'm sure adds to the brightness. The only LEDs I tried which were not brighter than standard bulbs were for the rear side reflector/lights, but they were single LED the size of a pin head.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Does this vendor even monitor this section of the forums? Sounds like no answers to questions asked here and 2 PMs unanswered for me.
I asked a technical question about Canbus and got a PM within hours. I failed to understand the PM'd answer. I thought, "I'm only a Mechanical Engineer so maybe I'm missing something." I asked a Controls Engineer who said the answer meant that the units work by FM (Freaking Magic).

When I stopped laughing, he said the answer didn't say anything technical and therefore didn't answer the original, technically-posed, question.

So, perhaps you are fortunate to get no replies--you saved yourself needless confusion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I just got a really cool job and it comes with some really nice pay. To celebrate I was going to get these really cool sequential LED tail lights. I went directly to Ohio Speed and was going to drop $300.00. Glad I have brembos, EEEERRRTTT!!!! Lets see what they are saying on Challenger Talk first. I read every post in both threads and now I have questions, questions I'm sure will go unanswered. 1) How hard is it to pull a box off the shelf, open it, and grab a local guy with a challenger and say "if you let us use your car for an install video we will let you keep the cool light kit that everyone wants?" Um, nope, I guess it was just the one question. Still a good question though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
led taillights

So I just got a really cool job and it comes with some really nice pay. To celebrate I was going to get these really cool sequential LED tail lights. I went directly to Ohio Speed and was going to drop $300.00. Glad I have brembos, EEEERRRTTT!!!! Lets see what they are saying on Challenger Talk first. I read every post in both threads and now I have questions, questions I'm sure will go unanswered. 1) How hard is it to pull a box off the shelf, open it, and grab a local guy with a challenger and say "if you let us use your car for an install video we will let you keep the cool light kit that everyone wants?" Um, nope, I guess it was just the one question. Still a good question though.
first off i sell these for a company so they are not on my shelf, 2nd we have contacted the mfg. and they are sending us a set of lights to put in a challenger. just waiting for the lights to show up so we can do a complete video.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can't believe the company that makes these hasn't put out any legit information. You'd think if they wanted to sell something they would. Does anyone actually have these??

·
Registered
236 Posts
"2006-2013" should throw up a red flag immediately!!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
first off i sell these for a company so they are not on my shelf, 2nd we have contacted the mfg. and they are sending us a set of lights to put in a challenger. just waiting for the lights to show up so we can do a complete video.
Can you tell me if these also sequence when brake lights are activated? And hazards?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can't believe the company that makes these hasn't put out any legit information. You'd think if they wanted to sell something they would. Does anyone actually have these??

Honestly, you're probably better moving on to something else. I've sent them emails and PMs about this product as well as the sales they supposedly have on CAIs for members of the forums and have yet to hear a peep after 2 weeks. It sounds pretty obvious to me that customer service isn't their strong suit. Heaven forbid you make a purchase and need something from them post-sale.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts