Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Jim.

Killer Greg, I was going to call and make sure it got there, but thought you were history. Everything get there in good shape????.

BTW, I'm in the shop this morning, looked over and low and behold the damn filler plates were still on the bench. :headbang:

I'll send you those pictures and the measurements in the morning so you can trim the plastic. And get them shipped tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
so whats the deal with these cam? Can I get one installed when I'm down for spring fest?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Subscribed.....

I think I can use one of these, waiting on the price and IAT results.....

PM Sent..

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you need a Maggie unit maybe we can work something out. PM me if you want.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Any word on availability and prices, Im very intrested. Shot me a PM when you get a chance...Thanks in advance.

Jason

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well everyone, my sincere apologies for my absence over the last several weeks. But we were absolutely buried in projects getting ready for SF and a couple other events.

And as of this past weekend, I have some great news to report back for this particular product.

One of our esteemed members from this board reported that at 16lbs of boost, he was recording 144 degree IAT temps. I can tell you from first hand experience that exact same blower was on a build I was highly involved with. And at that same amount of boost with the ice box stuffed full, IAT's ran between 180-200+. All thought this members build does have a ice box, the unit was not filled with ice and the only adavantage would be the capacity of the system which was no different than on Trojans build were that blower started life.

Also for you guys on the fence and just to prove with solid numbers what this brings to the table. Arrington has in their shop a 14lb 3.6KB making 756rwhp build that is tuned and ready to go. A system is heading out the door tomorrow for this ride and testing will be completed by the end of the week if not sooner.

And for you gents that have already purchased these units unproven and trusted in me.

You have my eternal gratitude............................and my first born if you like too.

No really, take her, she's a pain in the a$$ :bigthumb:

If you need a Maggie unit maybe we can work something out. PM me if you want.
If you wouldn't mind just sending me the measurements and a couple pictures, that would be great.

Please email too: [email protected]

BTW, I've been thinking about how to handle the existing IC units and the retro-fit kit. At this time, I'll only be building limited runs of housings for both the Maggy, KB and Techco.

Also recently I was informed that some talk was brought up that this unit was designed only for the KB unit. Sorry guys, I know this might be a huge disappointment, but it will work with every postive displacement unit out there. And on every LC/LX line including the Jeeps. All that needs to happen is change out maybe one or two of the coolant lines or extend them as needed.

Installation time for a decent wrench should be about 3-4 hours at the most.

Any word on availability and prices, Im very intrested. Shot me a PM when you get a chance...Thanks in advance.

Jason
Thanks again for the order Jason.

·
Registered
289 Posts
HE

Cam,
Look forward to receiving this, it looks like a great addition to my ongoing project, Im sure my KB will be happy as well given the Hot temps down here in Louisiana.........:thumbsup:

One question, in the attached pic, what did you use for the lower grill, it looks almost like the factory mesh but is opened up all the way, (the factory opening is a lot more restricted).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
CAM,
Love this CTP Skunk Works Heat Exchanger set-up!!!! After an hour of testing (Driving the Car Solid) With IAT's in the 120 range for the entire time....I pop'ed the hood...Opened the res and stuck my finger in the water....Water temp was about 60 Deg. I think my Fav part of the system is the fact that I can run the fans....anytime I want!! I have them wired to trigger with the radiator fans as well as to a manual switch inside the car (I have The Blower Water pump wired the same way) Great cooling during the wait for the next run down the 1320.
On another Note.....CTP's Skunk Works 8 Rib Stand anlone Belt system is the $hit!!!!!!!! I can't say enough...... No belt slipage, No wear-N-Tear on the motors Aux systems, Easy Uper Pulley Swaps...(About 5 Min) and just enough room on the crank for the 8" LWR pulley as our base pulley! I'll Get some better pics....Now that I have the Engine bay all cleaned and Pimped out!

CAM,
You Are The $hit.....Keep building all the trinkets that keep you awake at night......Good Stuff Bro!
G.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Cam,
Look forward to receiving this, it looks like a great addition to my ongoing project, Im sure my KB will be happy as well given the Hot temps down here in Louisiana.........:thumbsup:

One question, in the attached pic, what did you use for the lower grill, it looks almost like the factory mesh but is opened up all the way, (the factory opening is a lot more restricted).
Well originally I was using the upper grills that I modified to fit. But last year at SF out here, the SRT engineers were looking over that car and wondered why I did this. After explaining to them what I had found with forced induction Challengers, I guess they liked it so much they decided to make the changes themselves. :notallthere:

A little pat on the back would have been nice, but I guess they figured differently. :pimp:

So to answer your question and with Gregs help. I'm now suppling the new lower grill with this kit. What's nice is with a minor modifcation, they snap right in verses mine required some drilling and plastic pins to make work.

And Greg, again thanks to both you and Allen for everything. At the time I put this kit together, I didn't have a stock Challenger here to verify fitment, only the original measurements off the black car, which were really close. So a couple of very minor changes have been made as per Greg's input and expertise.

Also Greg, I ordered the thermostats that will work perfectly with these and allow adjustment as low as 32 dgrees. But I think having the fans come on at 100 will be the ticket. I'll be sending you up a couple next week after they come in.

One more thing guys. Today I found out the IC units are out of stock. the manufacture is expediting me a couple right now at a small one time nominal fee. They explained for the time being it would take them 4-5 days to manufacture them. So expect shipment upon order to be appx 3 weeks.

Jason, you're fine, I'll have yours by the middle of next week.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
sorry I couldn't find where to order from

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Cam,
I can't thank you enough for all you help, Killer Products and really coming thru for us during our tuning with Bob....You truly are the $hit!!
Thanks bro!!

Looking forward to your snout seal and thermo>
G

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
sorry I couldn't find where to order from
LOL, better talk to yur cuz about getting it on the site. :thumbsup:

Cam,
I can't thank you enough for all you help, Killer Products and really coming thru for us during our tuning with Bob....You truly are the $hit!!
Thanks bro!!

Looking forward to your snout seal and thermo>
G
Glad I could help Greg. Hopefully you do a write up about the results soon. Plus I want to see that vid of the rookie driver fishtailing down the track and still ran a 10.8. :smokin:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ctp he

Just installed my CTP heat exchanger today, I have to get the facia back on tomorrow and take it for a test drive to see how it performs......Very heavy duty quality unit compared next to the factory KB HE.....

Attachments

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Nice, give us some before and after IAT comparisons. I'm curious how much difference it makes on a good long pull.

On my tune my timing starts to drop a bit once I hit about 115-120° IATs. If I can shave 40-50 degrees off those and stay below 120 I'll make quite a bit more power over the run.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just installed my CTP heat exchanger today, I have to get the facia back on tomorrow and take it for a test drive to see how it performs......Very heavy duty quality unit compared next to the factory KB HE.....
Killer Jason, I'm glad you like it and am looking forwards to your results.

Nice, give us some before and after IAT comparisons. I'm curious how much difference it makes on a good long pull.

On my tune my timing starts to drop a bit once I hit about 115-120° IATs. If I can shave 40-50 degrees off those and stay below 120 I'll make quite a bit more power over the run.
It's not just about what happens during the run, it's all about the consistancy it brings to the table as well.

And a update is long over due. I've kept quiet about this for a few weeks now. But the manufacture that was making these for me closed up shop. I can no longer get the same exact heat exchanger. Since this time, I've purchased a couple other units that fit the dimensions for testing with no luck. They just don't bring to the table what I had with this one. Randy will be the owner of the last of these ever made I'm sad to say.

But there is hope. I have found another HE unit that matches and looks like it may even exceed the efficiency of this unit. But it is larger and will not work with the stock/modified fascia support. I'm also waiting on pricing back from two other manufactures for custom units that will. And what I have done in the mean time which just got completed the other day is develope a entirely new fascia support to allow for a larger HE unit. And provide mounting for additional coolers as well. Now that I know it will fit the larger HE, I'll bring one in for full blown testing next week.

So for those that have been waiting on me, my appologies. Building the jig and deciding on a universal mounting system was a very labor intensive project. My test guy will be getting his dual pass unit very soon, so we'll have some great feed back shortly.

And for those of you that haven't seen this comment about our unit....well here you go:

For those thinking about running a PD blower this Heat exchanger is a HUGE win. I recently put one through its paces. The candidate was a 426 with a 3.6 KB running in the 17 lb boost range, a tough customer no doubt. Its pretty routine to see IATs at or over the 200 range and it usually limits me to 5-7 pulls before the heat soak on the blower makes it difficult to keep the temps consistent. So I started with a 4 inch pulley making about 13 lbs of boost for a pump gas tune. IMMEDIATELY I saw a nearly 50 Deg temp drop in Iat's over the standard supplied heat exchanger. Super happy with that so I worked on making my pulls. The unit performed flawless and after each pull the fans reduced the IATs back to the START OF PULL temps with little to no effort and 10 pulls later IAT's still stable. So off with the 4 and down to the 3.5 upping the boost to 17.5, here is the absolute deal maker NO DIFFERENCE IN IAT's Over the next 10 Pulls. The unit is so efficient it kept up with the demand and then some. After Pull results were as impressive with the temps stabilizing after each hit. here are 2 datalogs one with the standard Heat exchanger and the other with Cams Unit. I also want to mention that On this combo we employed a Rule 2k Pump to handle the water flow and a 2.5 gallon tank to keep the capacity up. If your Serious about the efficiency of your PD combo do your self a favor and invest in a great cooling system for it. You can't lose. Below is a data log for a KB with the standard vs the upgraded heat exchanger system. The first log is after 1 pull the second is after 5.

Thanks
A.J.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I'll be the test guy Cam, give me a shout, can't wait to have one.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Wow, that's a significant drop in temps. Good point about consistency as well.

I'll keep my eye on this thread to see how the new exchanger works out. Too bad about the original.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
anybody have one of these they want to sell pm me.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts