Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to Dodge cars but have really admired the new Challenger. Now I have an opportunity to buy and found a nice 2019 black SXT Pentastar V6 with 40K miles at a good price. I've read many good things about the Pentastar being durable and reliable, port injection, decent hp and tq. good highway mpg.

After test driving the car I noticed a loud ticking sound from the engine during idle, like the sound of a direct injection engine. So I held off my purchase to research.

Come to find out the ticking is known mechanical issue, but haven't found a definitive answer.

I'm very concerned and a bit disappointed as I don't want to buy if the Pentastar isn't manufactured correctly and will be a problem.

What causes this ticking sound?
Is it inevitable to happen?
How reliable is the Pentastar?
What can you tell me are some of the known issues of the Challenger?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,457 Posts
First I want to say you showed good sense in putting off your purchase. Sad to say some would have bought the car then come asking about the noise.

Have no direct experience with the Pentastar engine. There have been posts on this engine and ticking in particular. But there have been posts on other Dodge engines and ticking. And I can tell you ever since there have been car forums (or even before the "net") car BBSs there have been posts about engine ticking.

Not to put too fine a point on it "we" traded solid lifter engines that ticked -- well those of us old enough to remember when engines came with solid lifters -- when time to adjust the valve lash for engines that while for the most part are quiet from new and remain quiet for some miles can develop a ticking that can only be dealt with by some level of work on the engine if only to replace the noisy lifters. In some cases even more is required. And in the worst case -- not saying what you heard was this worst case -- engine replacement.

Almost certainly you will not receive a consenous here (or any where) on the subject of valve noise, ticking of the engine in question. Some will state the problem is way over blown (and it might be as that is the nature of car forums to magnify the problem) while others will state the the engine will tick at some point.

But read the posts and see what you value you can get from them.

I think it safe to say that car you looked at is not for you. You need to keep looking. This might provide you with some good info. If a fair number of cars manifest the ticking it might be a sign the choice of Pentastar engine is not the best choice.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
532 Posts
The pentastar is a very good motor. Been out for some time,tbey put them in a lot of rigs. I have one in my jeep, but it is very quiet. Don't be discouraged from the v6 completely, but maybe just this one specifically.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Yes, drive several as 40k on one will not be like 40k on another.

Also, if possible, buy from an enthusiast. You car will (most likely) have service records, along with history and the general "feel" for how the car was taken care of. You go to a private dealer and they will have no information as they most likely bought it from auction only days earlier. A franchise dealer is a better option-- you could probably get a warranty as part of the deal.

good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the encouraging words.

Yes, I know the lifter tick very well, and was my first thought. I bought new a 2003 first gen Sorrento (when it was made like a stout truck) that was real good to me and worked hard for 15 years. Alongside my meticulous care developed a lifter tick at 140k miles when I sold it. That wasn't concerning as it lived a long, and hard productive life with a lot more life left. Therefore I was a bit shocked to hear it on the Pentastar at only 40k miles..

The Challenger in question was a rental car, that the franchise dealer was selling. I think there are a lot of base models that were rentals.

I will keep looking and post updates as things progress.

If anyone else has thoughts please post.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Challenger R/T Destroyer Gray
173 Posts
The ticking could well be normal injector noise, or it could be lifter noise - can't tell from a description. It should not be making noise - but is it serious? We don't know. If you want the car, perhaps have it professionally assessed.

That said, the concept of this car is a V8-powered grand tourer. I think you miss out on the whole concept of the car with the V6. They are popular enough, drivability is good, but no exhaust note, which is half the fun of this car.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
776 Posts
The Pentastar engine is a good, durable engine, but some do develop a "ticking" noise in the valve train. If the noise is addressed when it first starts, it is usually just a matter of replacing some rocker arms. If allowed to run long term with the noise, cam damage can result. I would recommend comparing to other Pentastar engines to hear if the noise is normal or not.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
776 Posts
I agree, the 3.6 Pentastar engine is a good engine. They have excellent performance when paired with the eight speed transmission. My wife is has a Charger with that powertrain and we actually drive it more than my Challenger. It has been a rock solid, reliable and fun to drive car, and when we replace it, the replacement will be Pentastar powered.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I agree, the 3.6 Pentastar engine is a good engine. They have excellent performance when paired with the eight speed transmission. My wife is has a Charger with that powertrain and we actually drive it more than my Challenger. It has been a rock solid, reliable and fun to drive car, and when we replace it, the replacement will be Pentastar powered.
If you buy a 3.6, stick with the eight speed transmission. I wasnt impressed with the 3.6 and five speed in a 2011 rental. Drove a 2015 Charger 3.6L 8 speed, it is the best V6 powertrain combo for LX/LC vehicles. I daily drove a 3.5L 4 speed auto for ten years

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack; 2018 SXT
87 Posts
The 3.6 is a great motor like everyone says sitting at 300hp.
My advice is do not drive a 5.7 or a 6.4 if you are thinking about buying a 3.6.
Nothing you can do to that 3.6 to make it sound like a Hemi.
You could play the ticking sound of type writer in the background and then you could call it a 3.6 Hemi 😀

409 Posts
First I want to say you showed good sense in putting off your purchase. Sad to say some would have bought the car then come asking about the noise.

Have no direct experience with the Pentastar engine. There have been posts on this engine and ticking in particular. But there have been posts on other Dodge engines and ticking. And I can tell you ever since there have been car forums (or even before the "net") car BBSs there have been posts about engine ticking.

Not to put too fine a point on it "we" traded solid lifter engines that ticked -- well those of us old enough to remember when engines came with solid lifters -- when time to adjust the valve lash for engines that while for the most part are quiet from new and remain quiet for some miles can develop a ticking that can only be dealt with by some level of work on the engine if only to replace the noisy lifters. In some cases even more is required. And in the worst case -- not saying what you heard was this worst case -- engine replacement.

Almost certainly you will not receive a consenous here (or any where) on the subject of valve noise, ticking of the engine in question. Some will state the problem is way over blown (and it might be as that is the nature of car forums to magnify the problem) while others will state the the engine will tick at some point.

But read the posts and see what you value you can get from them.

I think it safe to say that car you looked at is not for you. You need to keep looking. This might provide you with some good info. If a fair number of cars manifest the ticking it might be a sign the choice of Pentastar engine is not the best choice.
Yeah good call, at least you got the peace of mind now instead of buying it first then dealing with it.
Although Pentastar's not a bad engine at all. The noise is pretty normal for engines in general (Either injectors or valvels really)
Although some might say theirs is quiet, you still can't tell if you and the others would refer to that level of sound the same way. They might hear yours and say its quiet & you might hear theirs and you might still say the sound is there.

So better see and hear another one of the same yourself (if there's a will, there's a way 😉) and better if that one you'll check out would have higher (if not the same) mileage.

Mention You Are From The Forum For The Best Deals
Check Out The*All NEW BD-F25

Phone: (818) 362-2300
E-Mail: [email protected]

Click here and visit our pages
IG: @BDWheels
FB:
/BlaqueDiamondWheels

1 - 20 of 53 Posts