Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Chris, from Westchester County NY. Just picked up my new car 2.5 weeks ago. Black R/T Plus with STP and 730N, exactly how I wanted it.

I already put 1200 miles on it. It so far has been the best decision I ever made, however I'm getting a little nervous. Yesterday I had a meeting in albany and the trip was 340 miles. I was pork'n it on the way back home last night. After pulling back into my house, I noticed the rear of the car had a tremendous amount of black dust, even though it was perfectly clean in Albany just 2 hours earlier (I opened the trunk and my hand became covered, thats how I know its there). Reminded me of my 1982 Camaro that drank a quart of oil every other week. After resting the car for half hour, checked the dipstick and it looked like the oil was down to bottom third of safe zone.

I broke in the car just fine. Once I hit 501 miles, I did a 0-60 time. Pushed it a little on the Merit. Car ran smooth but sounds kind of raspy this morning when I started it, not sure if I'm imagining things after seeing the black dust.

Anyone experience any oil consumption with their 5.7L auto?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I think the car just kicks up a lot of tire debris from the road and it just probably swirls around the back end do to the aerodynamics of the car. Probably some brake dust as well. If it was oil it wouldn't just wipe off. It would be more sticky

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys for the support. To follow up, the following day I went back outside and took the finger to the dust, looked at it closely, and tasted it. No doubt in my mind it is from the F1s. It was 26 degrees out on that ride, and I did rip it on a couple left turns for fun. That's what I get for buying a car with STP in the northeast before it got warm out. I'm already looking for rims and tires to replace both the plastic clads and F1s. I put a post in the tire thread, hopefully some NY/NJ/CT members post up some recommendations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts