Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2010 R/T, 6 Speed Manual, this is my first Challenger. Fortunately the car already has a lot of upgrades leaving the factory, but I am trying to decide what else should be added/changed. So far I want to:

Eliminate the skip shift feature
Add a CAI
Look into a new exhaust (a little more noise/power)

Any ideas on these mods or suggestions for others would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I was told that A CAI isn't going to gain much if any power over a K&N drop in filter. It does look better but what they told me on here was "unless you are driving around with your hood up a CIA is a waiste of money". I know your mainly looking into power but My lockpick with camera is nice and I think hood struts are needed.
Rick

·
Registered
630 Posts
Congrats on the new car.

I don't know if your state requires a front license plate, but mine does. The dealer didn't install the front plate holder on my bumper, so I bought the manually operated "Show N Go" plate holder which screws to the bottom of the front spoiler. No holes in the bumper. They also sell a motorized version that's pretty cool. I bought mine from Yates Performance.

The Challenger door sill covers are really nice. I agree with itzrick on the hood struts, too. I also like the MOPAR t-handle shifter, but you have a 6 speed.

Several guys on C/T have gotten paint chips from rocks kicked up from the tires. I added the MOPAR splash guards just in case.

These aren't performance goodies, but nice adds.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome to the forum, congrats, very nice car, if you scroll down the front page of the forums you will find Performance Modifications. There is a ton of info in there. If you have the money there is a long list of mods you can do. If you like CAI go for it. Not a lot of hp but they look great. Many opinions on exhuast here, I like MBRP cat back , If you want a lot of power there is the sc option. Many like the Tuners like Predator or Trinity

Have fun!!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I see you are looking for some more noise/power in an exhaust. Since you have a manual 6spped, research first at removing your big/heavy rear resonators and replacing them with either straight pipes ($100) or glass packs ($200). Blastin Bobs has a great mod for this. Autos have a big suitcase style middle muffler and MSD so a $700-$1400 full catback exhaust works better on them for sound and flow. Manuals have better flowing middle bottle mufflers and really they don't need replacing with an expensive catback exhaust. Just an FYI before spending hard earned money.

I have the glass packs and it is just an awesome awesome mod.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Congrats on your new ride.

Welcome to the forum. Search is your friend, do an advanced search using google or ask.com and put key words in, then in domain put Challengertalk.com, happy reading. A TON of good info in here.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My recommended R/T 6-speed manual modification considerations:

The skip-shift is truely annoying and can become a safety hazard when entering traffic.
On most R/T's the ride height is way too high.
The rear mufflers are heavy and keep the exhaust noise too low for most muscle car enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I really like the idea of getting just straight pipes or the glass packs, and save some money.

It seems that the CAI doesn't really add much to the performance, probably drop that upgrade.

Thanks again to everyone.

Anthony

·
Registered
237 Posts
welcome to the forum. If you have super track pack dont mess with the suspension(research that). hood struts are a must have for 50 bucks or so. CAI looks cool doesnt add much performance over a good drop in but it does add some good intake sound especially since you have the functional hood scoops. You have the classic I assume. Sweet ride congrats

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
welcome to the forum. If you have super track pack dont mess with the suspension(research that). hood struts are a must have for 50 bucks or so. CAI looks cool doesnt add much performance over a good drop in but it does add some good intake sound especially since you have the functional hood scoops. You have the classic I assume. Sweet ride congrats

Please excuse my ignorance but what are hood struts? Is this a performance addition? Thanks

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Hit my website and you'll see what path I took. I started off with small things and ended up with a built motor and a supercharger.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance but what are hood struts? Is this a performance addition? Thanks
They are the little gas powered cyliders that hold up your hood replacing the prop rod-your trunk has them-Mopar has a kit for about $50.00-the hood even has the little balls already on the hinges for the install-I think they cheaped out on them at the factory and gave us a Mazda prop rod instead:notallthere:
Kit contains:
1 ea Part#6803556AA Cylinder
1 ea Part#68035557AA Cylinder
2 ea Part#6507889AA Ball Stud

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Stuff I put on my 09 R/T Auto.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Congrats on the car. I would put the skip-shift eliminator at the top of my list. Its one of the cheapest mods you can do and eliminates a potential hazard in traffic.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 R/T, 6 Speed Manual, this is my first Challenger. Fortunately the car already has a lot of upgrades leaving the factory, but I am trying to decide what else should be added/changed. So far I want to:

Eliminate the skip shift feature
Add a CAI
Look into a new exhaust (a little more noise/power)

Any ideas on these mods or suggestions for others would be appreciated.

Thanks
Aria CAI, Corsa catbacks, Moroso catch can and Diablo Sport Predator for a tune. Just switch the tune back to stock before taking it in for service. 30 hp gains (thereabout). You can run with SRT8's.

Supercharger, heads, cam, pistons, pushrods, transmission, driveshafts, half-shafts, wheels, tires...

and 426 ci engine. That should do it.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Not a performance mod, but one of THE best mods I do to every vehicle is get my windows tinted. Moreso for night driving than anything -- bright lights at night blind me. Plus it just improves the looks of any vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts