Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are other posts about this...i just didnt feel like digging. Could someone give me some resources and tips about this subject. I want a lil more pep and im not sure what all it involved. Links, suggestions, and knowledge would be greatly appreciated ^^:guiness:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
From what I have read, your best bet is to find an entire pumpkin setup.

You will need the 198mm rear with either 3.64 gears or 3.90 gears.

I think the LX cars with the 2.7L V6 used the 3.90 geared rearend.

Also, the 09 SE's came with 3.64 gears, so finding a 09' Chally donor car (good luck) would be the easiest. 2010's came with 2.87 gears. The 2010 then is easy to just reprogram the speedo with a Predator.

I'd suggest finding a yard donor LX car with the 198mm rear end and either 3.64's or 3.90's. I hope you are a good mechanic or know someone who is, sounds like it could be a couple day affair to yank the rear cradle, swap pumpkins and get everything back together.

A couple people here have done it and sounds like it could be a really nice improvement.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
yeh hemiwoman's husband did it to her car. I don't think details were provided but it did take a lot of effort.
Something I want to do in a few years when I retire my car from daily driver status since I don't want to take the hit in MPG.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
yeh hemiwoman's husband did it to her car. I don't think details were provided but it did take a lot of effort.
Something I want to do in a few years when I retire my car from daily driver status since I don't want to take the hit in MPG.
It is not as hard to change as you think. Laying on your back in the garage for 2 days is a killer. I got the rearend from S/S Dodge. Read all the threads on here and asked questions. I didn't really take a hit in MPG. We just drove from Atco, NJ to the Ohio line on 1 tank of gas. I have a custom tune, 71 mm throttle body and it still doesn't drink gas. What you have to get used to is the increased rpms when cruising. With the 3.64 gears I run 2600 rpms at 70 mph. Before it was 2000 rpms at 70 mph.

·
Registered
711 Posts
does anyone have a part# for the 3.64 (198mm) pumpkin. I want to order a new unit so the install will be seamless. any and all help would be appreciated.... just want to get this done.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
I might be able to get my husband to crawl under the car tomorrow and get the part# off the tag on the rear end. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
711 Posts
^ that would be super awesome, I may also have comlpete 3.91 from and ST8, axles, shaft, the whole works for cheap, out of a 2010 SRT8

uggh sooo many desicions, I really want the 3.64 though, I feel that would be the better setup to run, if I go the 3.91 I lose some top end, but being a daily driver is that a bad thing?? let's see what we can come up with for the 3.64, i'd prefer to order a brand new carrier to eliminate any issues, and all seals would be preloaded.

thanks gang

·
Registered
711 Posts
got it guys, after Google searching for hours, it dawned on me that the dealer should have my 2009 info on file and bam they did, found the 3.64 carrier and ordered that up, should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to drive the car when we get a good break in the weather.

·
Registered
56 Posts
X, would you be able to give me that part number for the 3.64 carrier?

Thanks

·
Registered
626 Posts
If anyone has gone from the high gears to 3.64's or 3.90's, I'd love to see before and after MPG numbers, and 1/4 mile times and speeds.

Someone said LX cars (Chargers only?) with the 2.7 V6 came with 3.90s, is that for all Charger model years?

If it is the same 198mm rear end, just with different gears, I'm guessing it'd be just a simple bolt-in, although with all the fancy BS rear independent suspensions these days I can see how it'd be a complex job.

How much power does it take to break a 198mm? Has anyone done that so far?

And what idiot "engineer" decided to make it 198mm instead of a nice even 200mm? Was it really that much of a problem to add 2 extra mm's? :)

·
Registered
2009 V6 Challenger
465 Posts
X, would you be able to give me that part number for the 3.64 carrier?

Thanks

I have one from my 2009 s/e with about 1000 miles on it I could sell ya?
$200 plus shipping from 55055:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 V6 Challenger
465 Posts
I'd be interested in getting in line. You'd ship to a business address in 85281.

Can you post pic's and a part number please.

Thanks,

-Scott
Here you go. I don't know how you would ship it though. this thing way's a lot!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Here you go. I don't know how you would ship it though. this thing way's a lot!!
For shipping....
Make sure it's drained as best as possible. Stuff a rag in each side. Put it in 2 trash bags. Then put it in a cardboard box packed full and tight with packing peanuts. Tape the crap out of it...lamination style. UPS or FedEx ground will send it.

The 2nd pic is of casting info not part info. This is what the part info tag will look like.

I am very interested it getting it from you as long as you are 100% sure it's 3.64 or 3.90 gears. Hence the part tag.

I'll PM you my cell number. Please call when you get a chance.

Thanks,

-Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts