Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
For those wondering: If you have the Demon crate PCM or Scat Pack stage PCM, the recall service info has been updated to include swapping the stock PCM back in, and doing the flash update only to the stock PCM. So if you're going to get the recall done, provide your stock PCM or swap it back in before you go.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
For those wondering: If you have the Demon crate PCM or Scat Pack stage PCM, the recall service info has been updated to include swapping the stock PCM back in, and doing the flash update only to the stock PCM. So if you're going to get the recall done, provide your stock PCM or swap it back in before you go.
You have to do a throttle relearn when you swap PCMS so you would not be able to just swap it back in your driveway. @DodgeCares should know if a solution is being worked out.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Now on to a something I was thinking about last night. What if your car is tuned? You put it back to stock, get the update, when you reload your tune does it undo the recall? Is the PCM locked when the dealer returns your car? What if you swap a locked PCM for an unlocked one through Diablo? Does the replacement PCM have the Cruise Control Update? Why don't dealers make a copy of your tune and adjust it to only fix the problem? I want to know how @stevewhiteparts is handling this with the supercharged cars they built. I am sure they have this all figured out by now. Can the dealer open your steering wheel, remove the control for the cruise control and then put a cover over the opening where it was? Wouldn't that comply with the recall?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Got my notice for my 16 RAM yesterday. RAM Forum is full of horror stories on how the cruise control recall (firmware update?, software update?)...whatever-the-hell they do... is messing up all kinds of other functions of the truck. I'm on the fence on whether I'm going to have this one done or not.

From the description in the recall notice, it seems like IF the malfunction actually happens, and you're actually paying attention to your driving, not twiddling on the NAV or smart phone, all you do is tap the brakes and the cruise control is disables, no problem. I might just take my chances on this one.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That's not the case. The "worst case" is the inability to brake to a stop, much less being able to tap to disable. Shifting to neutral would obviously defeat the throttle, however.

It's just a PCM update, and I've yet to see anything about a Challenger having issues.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
If you hold in the start button won't that kill the engine? Throw it in neutral, get to the side of the road and put it in park and shut it off, throw in in neutral, park it on the railroad tracks in front of an oncoming train and go order a 2019 Super Snake, seems like an easy solution to me. Sticking a "For Sale" sign in the window, since I owe less than 13k, sell it for 20k and put the 7k into my (Late B Body), sounds sooo tempting right now.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
That's not the case. The "worst case" is the inability to brake to a stop, much less being able to tap to disable. Shifting to neutral would obviously defeat the throttle, however.

It's just a PCM update, and I've yet to see anything about a Challenger having issues.
That's perfect. If I can shift to neutral to get out of a jam, I'll take my chances. Not sure of the differences between the vehicles, but the RAM users are getting screwed on this recall. Lots of examples of intermittent loss and inconsistent operation of other PCM related functions after the update.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Only if you're under 10mph (double check that number) or so. Probably not using cruise at that speed. ;)

That's perfect. If I can shift to neutral to get out of a jam, I'll take my chances. Not sure of the differences between the vehicles, but the RAM users are getting screwed on this recall. Lots of examples of intermittent loss and inconsistent operation of other PCM related functions after the update.
Well, one's a RAM with a different setup entirely, so...apples and whatnot.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I checked my RAM recall notice. Instructions state that if the Cruise Control can't be disable by tapping the brake or the normal control buttons, shift to Neutral (there's no speed restriction....I can do this at any speed), and apply the brakes.

Some RAM owners are avoiding this recall because apparently, the update also includes some new "Auto-Park" functionality that puts the truck in park if you open the door. This prevents you from backing your truck up, while looking out the door to ensure you're not going to clip a rock or stump (stuff we truck users need to avoid when off-road).

I haven't heard anything about this "auto-park" thing on the Challenger update, so you guys with the affected Challengers may be ok.

·
Vendor
12,085 Posts
Now on to a something I was thinking about last night. What if your car is tuned? You put it back to stock, get the update, when you reload your tune does it undo the recall? Is the PCM locked when the dealer returns your car? What if you swap a locked PCM for an unlocked one through Diablo? Does the replacement PCM have the Cruise Control Update? Why don't dealers make a copy of your tune and adjust it to only fix the problem? I want to know how @stevewhiteparts is handling this with the supercharged cars they built. I am sure they have this all figured out by now. Can the dealer open your steering wheel, remove the control for the cruise control and then put a cover over the opening where it was? Wouldn't that comply with the recall?
perform the software update and then tune the vehicle

the original vehicle software is used when creating tuning for a supercharged or in reality any application requiring custom tuning.

start by downloading the original calibration and using that calibration the modifications are added and reloaded into the pcm

Luke

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
perform the software update and then tune the vehicle

the original vehicle software is used when creating tuning for a supercharged or in reality any application requiring custom tuning.

start by downloading the original calibration and using that calibration the modifications are added and reloaded into the pcm

Luke
I appreciate that, I was referring to all the tuned cars that are out there right now. If they do the recall won't the PCM come back locked after the dealer "fixes" it?

If it does come back locked, will they not have to send the PCM out to be unlocked or swapped for an unlocked one?

If it is swapped for an unlocked one then the recall fix will probably not be on the unlocked one sent to the end user.

That's all I was curious about.

·
Vendor
12,085 Posts
I appreciate that, I was referring to all the tuned cars that are out there right now. If they do the recall won't the PCM come back locked after the dealer "fixes" it?

If it does come back locked, will they not have to send the PCM out to be unlocked or swapped for an unlocked one?

If it is swapped for an unlocked one then the recall fix will probably not be on the unlocked one sent to the end user.

That's all I was curious about.
locked, no, software lost yes,

will require retuning after software flashed, more to it then that

Luke

·
Vendor
12,085 Posts
when we tune we use the original calibration and modify it to suit the purpose, hence after the recall flash has been performed, the vehicle would need to be re tuned
Luke

·
Registered
353 Posts
I feel fortunate...I checked and my 2015 is not on a list...I even stopped by the local dealer and the gal in service checked there...Nothing...

Breathe easy but also beware when I use Cruise Control...
I have a 2016 SP and I have yet to receive anything about this recall. I checked the site and it said my car was good. We'll see! My cruise works fine so far, however.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Got my notice for my 16 RAM yesterday. RAM Forum is full of horror stories on how the cruise control recall (firmware update?, software update?)...whatever-the-hell they do... is messing up all kinds of other functions of the truck. I'm on the fence on whether I'm going to have this one done or not.

From the description in the recall notice, it seems like IF the malfunction actually happens, and you're actually paying attention to your driving, not twiddling on the NAV or smart phone, all you do is tap the brakes and the cruise control is disables, no problem. I might just take my chances on this one.
From the actual recall notice of history on the NTSB site this recall is 1. Only for Auto cars. 2. Can be defeated by putting the car in park.

So going say 70 on the highway this happens and you step on the breaks, nothing happens, throw your A8 in park and the CC disengages, put it back in drive and continue on your way.
This issue is not possible on M6 cars.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
From the actual recall notice of history on the NTSB site this recall is 1. Only for Auto cars. 2. Can be defeated by putting the car in park.

So going say 70 on the highway this happens and you step on the breaks, nothing happens, throw your A8 in park and the CC disengages, put it back in drive and continue on your way.
This issue is not possible on M6 cars.

Ron

My recall notice says to put vehicle in neutral, apply brakes, pull over then put in park.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My recall notice says to put vehicle in neutral, apply brakes, pull over then put in park.
Thats what it says you can do that. The notice also states to not even use CC until you get it resolved?? You wont have to worry about any procedure if you dont use CC in the first place. I read the reproduction and history from the NTSB site and it noted the reproductions from the engineer that did the work said putting the car in park releases the CC and defeats the can C 0's error(error causing the CC to continue to request positive torque).

Ron

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,861 Posts
Can't imagine the transmission would appreciate being put into park at 70mph...

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,861 Posts
In the "old days" I know it made a godawful sound. Today I think it would likely not destroy the transmission as the parking pawl appears not to engage. You'd be able to satisfy "shifting to park" apparently

That guy won't be allowed to drive my car BTW :D

A Guy

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
In the "old days" I know it made a godawful sound. Today I think it would likely not destroy the transmission as the parking pawl appears not to engage. You'd be able to satisfy "shifting to park" apparently

What happens if you put your transmission in PARK while driving 65 mph ? (NOT Recommended !) - YouTube

That guy won't be allowed to drive my car BTW :D

A Guy
we have a new ram at work I had to take one day, it has the dial transmission. I was driving it and was curious what would happen if it was accidentally turned it park while driving, sooooo, well it does not do anything. Glad to see their engineers were thinking

61 - 80 of 95 Posts