Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the owner of a brand new 22 manual Scat Pack in Pitch Black and have a general question for the forum:
Are 392's noisier in the valvetrain area than 5.7's? Or do the manuals clutches make some kind of mechanical sewing machine kind of noise vs automatics that don't? I'm hearing more noise than my 5.7 and it's not a tick or knock. It's very mechanical and could I guess even be the injectors making normal noise. I hope this is just normal noise and that I don't have a problem. I'm at 3300 miles and would just appreciate hearing if 392's just make more noise and also maybe manuals in general. Thank you Challenger Talk!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,851 Posts
Reactions: MyRTnMe

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I've owned both manual and A8 Scat Packs as well as manual 5.7 R'Ts. The 392 has a different sound than the 5.7 and the active exhaust for the 392 is deeper than the 5.7's. Some times the clutch pedals on our cars can give a vibration noise under heavy acceleration if your using quick throttle alternation between shifts (not talking about a full blown power shift here).

Reactions: MyRTnMe

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,508 Posts
I'm the owner of a brand new 22 manual Scat Pack in Pitch Black and have a general question for the forum:
Are 392's noisier in the valvetrain area than 5.7's? Or do the manuals clutches make some kind of mechanical sewing machine kind of noise vs automatics that don't? I'm hearing more noise than my 5.7 and it's not a tick or knock. It's very mechanical and could I guess even be the injectors making normal noise. I hope this is just normal noise and that I don't have a problem. I'm at 3300 miles and would just appreciate hearing if 392's just make more noise and also maybe manuals in general. Thank you Challenger Talk!
Generally the bigger the engine the noisier it is. The hardware is just bigger and whatever components in a smaller engine make noise their counterparts in a larger engine are going to be noisier.

A manual transmission in neutral can make a mostly irregular clattering noise. This arises from the less than Lexus smooth idle of the engine and some gear rattle caused by the rough idle. In my experience stepping on the clutch pedal quieted this noise. As long as the noise is not that loud it is normal.

If you think your car's engine is (too) noisy have it in for this. Get a pro tech's opinion of the level of noise.

·
Registered
2022 Scat Pack Challenger
172 Posts
A manual transmission in neutral can make a mostly irregular clattering noise. This arises from the less than Lexus smooth idle of the engine and some gear rattle caused by the rough idle. In my experience stepping on the clutch pedal quieted this noise. As long as the noise is not that loud it is normal.
I noticed the same thing and if you read the whole owners manual carefully, they mention this noise in neutral and say it's normal. Also the engine itself isn't mechanically whisper quiet like my Honda civic is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses! I drive trucks and have very little free time so taking it in unless completely necessary is a waste of valuable time. I changed oil to amsoil signature series w/srt filter after the 500 mile break in period and again at 3000 and it does sound like a well lubricated complicated machine.
The clutch noise in neutral described above answered that question well and as far as the other sound it seems to me that is just the normal valve train noise of the 392.
I absolutely love this Scat Pack and it's exactly how I was going to order it, minus a sunroof, towards the end of the year. It was ordered by a fella 6 months ago who in that time ruined his credit and could not pick it up. I just happened to be doing my weekly Sunday cruise around the lots checking what they got when a salesman I know pulled me aside and offered me a deal that I couldn't refuse. No markup and $3000 off for 4th of July event plus $1000 off Mopar cash. Sticker was $47745 and after those discounts and markups plus tax and fees it was 49k out the door! 10k less than my build and order was going to be with tax and fees! Not happy that the guy ruined his credit but also very pleased that he did in a sense 😎👍

·
Registered
18,607 Posts
The 392 is usually quieter than the 5.7L.

And yes, there's more noise at idle with the M6.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
had both, the 392 is more noisy than 345 the hellcat imo is more noisey than both..(brand new car oil chng soon have it checked out)..more HP more noise...have had all 3 (hellcat presently)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a 21' Gold rush T/A with the 6M. Loved the car, hated the paint can rattle at neutral. Traded it for a new 21' A8 Scat Pack. While I really miss the Gold Rush, I don't miss the M6 noise at all.

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
882 Posts
I had a 21' Gold rush T/A with the 6M. Loved the car, hated the paint can rattle at neutral. Traded it for a new 21' A8 Scat Pack. While I really miss the Gold Rush, I don't miss the M6 noise at all.
I love manual transmissions when in the days you could actually out-shift an automatic (BION) Believe it or not; but since there's no way to out-shift a present day automatic trans I can’t see why people buy manual trannies anymore:unsure:

I do have a manual in my 4X4 truck but I also believe all 4X4 trucks should be manuals, JTOL :)

·
Premium Member
2022 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker WB A8
856 Posts
Generally the bigger the engine the noisier it is.
That's what I've experienced... a big difference in my '15 R/T and '22 Scat... and the R/T had dual flowmasters with res delete and still isn't as loud as the stock '22.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I love manual transmissions when in the days you could actually out-shift an automatic (BION) Believe it or not; but since there's no way to out-shift a present day automatic trans I can’t see why people buy manual trannies anymore:unsure:

I do have a manual in my 4X4 truck but I also believe all 4X4 trucks should be manuals, JTOL :)
in mopar land the automatics were always faster than chrysler 4 speeds..(at new england dragway back in early 70's pure stock auto did not race 4 speeds they were all a step quicker.(727 torque flites.) just a little faster..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed a Barton short throw shifter in last weekend and the chattering type sound upon acceleration seems to be more amplified now. Took it in to the dealer and they said that's just normal sound of a manual 392 Scat Pack so I hope that is true.I put 6500 miles on it in 3 months so it should be well broken in and of course I followed the 500 mile break in procedure too.
I guess I really should track down a manual Scat that's for sale and test drive it just to ease my mind. That will tell me if it's normal

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

BTW, here is a picture of it on its break in voyage

1 - 13 of 13 Posts