Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe we'll get lucky, and those earthquake fault lines will run all the way from CA to Vancouver and everything west of AZ, NV, ID will fall into the ocean, and float over to Hawaii where they can all smoke legalized dope while driving silent electric cars and handing out free needles to all the dopers.
You are a very angry person.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agree with it or not, it's about Modified exhaust, so stock exhaust is not included. I can imagine you might have to prove that the exhaust is not modified, which would suck.

J1169 was not measured at 75 feet however, and

Only the lawyers are winning...

A Guy
I don't think it's specific to modified exhaust.

Subchapter IV - Motor Vehicle Sound Levels

25.08.430 - Sounds created by operation of motor vehicles
It is unlawful for any person to operate upon any highway any motor vehicle or any combination of motor vehicles under any conditions of grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in such a manner that the motor vehicle's exhaust noise or engine noise:

A. Exceeds 95 decibels as measured by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998); or

B. Can be clearly heard by a person of normal hearing at least 75 feet away from the vehicle.

https://library.municode.com/wa/seattle/codes/municipal_code?nodeId=TIT25ENPRHIPR_CH25.08NOCO_SUBCHAPTER_IVMOVESOLE_25.08.430SOCROPMOVE

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,412 Posts
Yes, but all OEM exhaust have to meet these levels, so no stock exhaust should exceed. If a stock, completely working as designed OEM exhaust should net you a ticket, a referee station would certify you. Otherwise a State would be deeming illegal completely stock, legal cars because they wanted them quieter. Imagine trying to make that fly legally. I can imagine a cop giving you a ticket, because he's just making a judgement your car is too loud, not performing the test. But once the referee sees no mods at all, no way they won't certify you.

This is all targeted at people with straight pipes, fart cans, etc.

Here's where the Mustangs with the quiet active exhaust modes can skate :)

A Guy

·
Registered
863 Posts
A lot of West coast bashing here when the issue at hand is what collectively we see as an unfair law.

Let’s just take a moment to review:
Seattle just passed a noise ordinance. Cities have been doing this all over this continent since at least the 70s.

It is the Police that are trying to enforce the 75ft rule, regardless of what exhaust. Police all over do many things like this because as everyone knows the police is never wrong.

In Texas they banned Dune buggies, including ones that have been on the road for decades. Boom, suddenly illegal. Imagine if this happened in Seattle?

I’ve heard in some East Coast and Southern states, you pay property taxes each year on cars you own. Even if you don’t drive them. What?! I pay taxes when I buy a car. Not every year just for owning it.
If I want to own a 98 pickup that sits in my property for when I need it, that’s my business. I paid my tax when I bought it.

Drugs are a problem in all cities.

Homelessness can be seen in most places too if you look, but maybe it’s better not to and just rant on how bad it is in Seattle because the cops are threatening to ticket cars “they” deem too loud.

Anyways, diesel trucks and motorcycles are way louder than cars most of the time. It’s just because most people drive cars that they go after us.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
382 Posts
Not as ridiculous as saying it is illegal to work on a car in your own garage. :dunno:

"Sacramento County Is Saying It's Illegal To Work On Your Car In Your Own Garage"
https://www.overlawyered.com/2019/07/sacramento-county-says-its-illegal-to-work-on-your-own-car-in-your-own-garage/

Let them try and enforce that here, have WAY more bullets the cars here !!!

If I can't work on my car, the then the dealer should be free or cheaper then they are now...……………….

·
Registered
163 Posts
So I travel back to Seattle a few times a year for work... and I think I may have even commented in this thread that my car couldn't be driven there with the mid-muffler delete. But, one night about midnight, I was able to understand a little about what's going on there. Keep in mind, it's not just Amazon that's growing the city crazy, there is a metric shit-ton of residential going up there. So anyway, there I was, on the 28th floor of the Cosmopolitan in my buddy's apartment, when I heard the ferocious roar of Italians screaming up and down a few streets. Then I heard them again, with some other more bassy exhaust notes. From inside, I watched them running up and down Westlake, all the way down to Mercer... which is like 10 blocks away. I could still hear them a bit. I can imagine, that noise like that on a Tuesday night has a lot of the residents screaming and going out of their minds that they moved to the Emerald City with city-life in mind, walking to and from, using only rent/borrow car services and Uber when driving was necessary and never did they imagine that PD would allow such chaos.

During the day, same week. Tons of big trucks, Porsches, motorcycles and even some muscle cars running around. With that much traffic, no way could hear them distinctly from much of a distance unless the person was trying to be heard... and I think that's where this rule comes from. Look, a lot of us like the sounds of our cars... do you like how it sounds when you go under a bridge? Do you give it just a bit more gas to hear it really purr? It sounds at least as good bouncing off of all of these buildings... and inside, I guess people are pissed. But I think it's the people trying to be heard during the day, and the ones breaking the near-silence at night that cause reaction enough for a noise ordinance. The 75ft rule is kinda arbitrary, and I don't think it will hold up with a stock exhaust and a decent attorney, but those that really cause the issue, probably can't defend the noise they make on those grounds.

I'm just saying.

I think it's a kinda silly ordinance... but I'd be mad if I were woken a few times a week by GT2s and the like, or worse... kids woken. I can see that being a problem if it happens as often as I was told it does, and I'm a car guy.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
382 Posts
Every state has its issues.

Me:

WA from 1980-2009
MT from 2009-2015
ID from 1015-present

Trucks from the last two states are WAY louder then anything I own now, so why is that being ignored? not mentioning all the chips and windshield chips from these mud trucks (no mud flaps) on the road !

Um, my 65 Shelby KIT is the loudest on the planet, just saying !! LOL

·
Registered
685 Posts
So I travel back to Seattle a few times a year for work... and I think I may have even commented in this thread that my car couldn't be driven there with the mid-muffler delete. But, one night about midnight, I was able to understand a little about what's going on there. Keep in mind, it's not just Amazon that's growing the city crazy, there is a metric shit-ton of residential going up there. So anyway, there I was, on the 28th floor of the Cosmopolitan in my buddy's apartment, when I heard the ferocious roar of Italians screaming up and down a few streets. Then I heard them again, with some other more bassy exhaust notes. From inside, I watched them running up and down Westlake, all the way down to Mercer... which is like 10 blocks away. I could still hear them a bit. I can imagine, that noise like that on a Tuesday night has a lot of the residents screaming and going out of their minds that they moved to the Emerald City with city-life in mind, walking to and from, using only rent/borrow car services and Uber when driving was necessary and never did they imagine that PD would allow such chaos.

During the day, same week. Tons of big trucks, Porsches, motorcycles and even some muscle cars running around. With that much traffic, no way could hear them distinctly from much of a distance unless the person was trying to be heard... and I think that's where this rule comes from. Look, a lot of us like the sounds of our cars... do you like how it sounds when you go under a bridge? Do you give it just a bit more gas to hear it really purr? It sounds at least as good bouncing off of all of these buildings... and inside, I guess people are pissed. But I think it's the people trying to be heard during the day, and the ones breaking the near-silence at night that cause reaction enough for a noise ordinance. The 75ft rule is kinda arbitrary, and I don't think it will hold up with a stock exhaust and a decent attorney, but those that really cause the issue, probably can't defend the noise they make on those grounds.

I'm just saying.

I think it's a kinda silly ordinance... but I'd be mad if I were woken a few times a week by GT2s and the like, or worse... kids woken. I can see that being a problem if it happens as often as I was told it does, and I'm a car guy.

Try living in downtown Chicago! Noise huh?? Its what we expected when we moved downtown. So not sure what the Seattle folks expect.

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Revenue collection. It's all about damn revenue collection.

Do these wing nuts in politics remember WHY the US was born? Taxation without representation. If you're taxing people and you're not doing what's in their best interest, what is their purpose in government? Keep taxing us, go ahead. I probably won't be the one storming government offices and forcibly removing "representatives" from office at gun point, but I'm sure as shit not going to stop whoever does.

If only politicians were as concerned with making government more efficient as they are with spending my damn tax dollars on virtue signaling,

For the record, I don't advocate for anarchy, I don't trust my fellow man to police themselves into being decent folk and I sure as shit don't stock enough ammo to do it for them. I only need to look at this thread to find some people don't make good neighbors. If you have a problem with your officers, blame your local government. Sure, some might have a god complex, but the root of the problem lies with the paper pusher giving him laws to enforce.

Also, if you think either political party has your best interests at heart, you're either naive or dumb. The left might be more self destructive, but the right has its share of flaws that are only being shadowed by the left's utter lunacy.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The real problem is the people that are putting these people into power to begin with... I swear - about half of this country is more concerned about illegals than they are about our own citizens. It's absolutely crazy what is going on nowdays.

Unfortunately, I've found that you'll never change anothers mind about politics anyway - people will support their "party" until they are blue in the face - no matter WHAT their party does. It really is crazy. The whole "two party" system is silly, IMO - it casues people to support someone even if they don't support any of their policies - or even have any idea what their policies are. I'd rather that there weren't any "parties" at all - just "people" running for office - you vote for the person you think will do the best job - not vote for people just because they are in your "party".

I swear that half the people that vote have no idea what they are even voting for. They just vote for the person in their "party" because that is what their parents/spouse did.

Anyway, since we're definitely now clearly into "politics", I'll stop posting on the subject before something "bad" happens. ;-) Gotta respect the rules...

41 - 55 of 55 Posts