Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just completed searching the forums for recommendations on what brand and p/n spark plugs to install in my '09 R/T w/ the 5.7...car is stock except for CAI. My last Dodge, an '06 Charger R/T, I replaced plugs at 30,000 miles since the book said so and went back with the standard Champion copper ones, which seemed to be fine. That was several years ago and I wondered if we were still looking at the same thing or if someone found a much better option....run better and last longer, would be nice! Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I just replaced mine with the oem ngk plugs. Hard to find..no part houses could find the right numbers, and neither could our dealership, finally found them online at moe's performance

·
Registered
153 Posts
So the factory is using NGK as the OEM plug? Are they platinum? What is the plug number?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I too am about due for a spark plug change and I am curious as too what would be a good lasting plug I don't want to replace them with the sam OEM plugs (not that their is anything wrong with them) just I would prefer a better and longer lasting spark than 30,000 + miles.

Although stock plugs are good plugs for (mostly) stock engines. Platinums or Iridiums will last longer than copper, but are expensive and will not add power or mileage... Has anyone shown better MPG or power thanks to more expensive plugs. (Granted expensive doesn't always mean better.)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've been thinking about this, too, since I'll probably be changing mine come Spring. I'd like to go with platinum plugs and not have to change them again for a while, but my R/T has the lifetime powertrain warranty, and to keep that, I'd have to change them every 30K miles no matter what kind I use (so I may as well just use copper). I imagine Champion plugs would be fine, though.

I'll likely end up putting in more copper plugs and just doing it again every 30K. I enjoy doing stuff with this car, so no biggie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts