Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new member here!

I recently obtained a 2010 SRT8 50,000 miles with a locked up motor for a very low price....(This will be a little long winded!)

Pulled the motor, tore it down and discovered the connecting rod on cylinder 8 was snapped and the cylinder was full of coolant, which was the cause of the rod failure. Fortunately the cylinder wall wasn't damaged (had to replace oil pan and piston oil cooler), everything else looked good as far as the heads, valves, valve springs, lifters, etc. My machine shop verified all of this as well. I rebuilt the engine using all new components (just to be safe) except for the camshaft and crank and upgraded the connecting rods to forged Manley's.

Fast forward, the engine is now back in the car and ready to start up. Since I bought the car without knowing if it had any problems before the motor locked up I knew there would be some gremlins to sort out when I did get it running. The fact that the car has been sitting for who knows how long I decided to drain the old fuel and replace with fresh fuel and cleaned the injectors to ensure that they were not clogged and I was getting a good spray.

I have been looking through this forum for a solid day now and have learned that these SRT8 cars are prone to cylinder misfires and throttle body issues (which seem to be most common) among a few others things as well. So here's the issue I'm having, first initial start up it fired off then died immediately.......primed fuel pump a few times and cranked it again and managed to get it started by depressing the throttle a little and held it at 2,000 rpms for a while to try and get some heat built to break in bearings but as soon as you let off the throttle it will die right away, wont even try to idle! Strange thing is it runs strong above 2,000 rpms but as soon as you try to throttle down it just dies.

I had my scan tool hooked up and it a threw cylinder misfire code as soon as I started it and definitely feels like it has a miss when running.....I cleared the code and restarted and never got the code again although it still feels like it has a miss. :|

From what I gathered reading on this forum these could be my culprits:

Bad throttle body actuator ( I need to test and verify)
Dirty/clogged MAP sensor
Bad PCM

I don't think the cam/crank sensors are bad or it would even run, correct?

As far as the miss I'm sure I have a bad coil pack

Any insight from you guys will be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't run it if your sure you have a bad coil pack, you don't want to dump raw fuel into your brand new rebuilt engine without it being fired! Why would you do that!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't run it if your sure you have a bad coil pack, you don't want to dump raw fuel into your brand new rebuilt engine without it being fired! Why would you do that!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
You are exactly right! I'm pretty sure I didn't run it long enough to damage the rings, I will do a compression test for sure. I've also read that if the timing gear is off by one tooth it can throw it out of wack. I will pull the timing chain cover off and check that again just to make sure. Better safe than sorry!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts