Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 10 days of making up my mind, a couple of test drives and lots of dealer negotiations I traded in my 13 month old R/T 6sp for the last 2010 SRT 6sp on the lot (yesterday). After 100 miles the biggest difference is the brakes, the SRT definitly has brakes (No safe way to truely test acceleration/handling at this time of year in Alaska). I am unsure which seats I like better although I can say the SRT's certainly hold you in place. The SRT steering feels much lighter/faster then my R/T for some reason. I made the trade for the brakes/suspension and to an extent the engine. The time was right because of the rebates, no way could I upgrade the R/T to match the performance for the current cost of the SRT.

Side note, once the salesperson, sales manager and myself came to an agreement they arranged better financing for me then I arranged from USAA, saved a half point. Thanks Anchorage Dodge

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
I've had my 09 SRT since Aug 09 so I know you will enjoy it.

Does yours have the F1 or RSA tires?

Mine has the F1s which are sticky as heck in the warm weather but it you plan to drive it in cold and bad weather, you will need some winter tires.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had the F1's and it was part of the long negotiations problems. The first test drive took 3 people to push the car out of it's parking spot. I could find no winter tires in state or 18 inch wheels that would clear the front brakes. The dealer was able to locates four 245/45/20 scorpian ice/snow for the car. The back tires are smaller then the standard 255/55/20's so the speedometer will be off until I can get it in to reprogram. I loved my R/T and I am sure I will find this even more fun.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to spend a lot of time by Albright WV.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Congratulations on the upgrade. :)

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I hope the R/T guys don't see this, lol.

Congrats. SRT is a beast.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Congrats John! You know word on the street is Sarah Palin loves Harleys and Dodge Challengers.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
Congrats on the new SRT! I'm thinking of making a similar move myself (from my R/T). Keep us posted once you have a chance to really "drive" it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Great move, congradulations, you will love the differences.
The R/T's are a nice ride, but an SRT is still an SRT.
Enjoy & be safe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did the same today,traded my 09 R/T with 7500 miles for a 2010 B5 blue SRT8 6 speed. Traded for 10,000.00 plus tax!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Traded in a titanium and got black. The R/T was more subtle and better at hiding dirt, but a clean black (it never will be but for the first 10 minutes after I wash it) is indeed brilliant. The hat is for when I am running my dogs, it should be a conversation starter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did the same today,traded my 09 R/T with 7500 miles for a 2010 B5 blue SRT8 6 speed. Traded for 10,000.00 plus tax!
Was thinking of doing the same thing. I have a B5 Classic six speed. Just found a SRT B5 six speed. The price this SRT is being advertised is lower than the employee price. Will call them on monday, I really hope this car was not a demo or been in any little fender bender.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another Valley Challenger!

Greetings from a fellow Valley Challenger owner. I have had my 09 SRT for about 6 months, unfortunately it is put away for the winter. I haven't seen many Challengers around the Valley. There is a Plum Crazy RT I have seen in Wasilla and a Black SRT in Palmer. Any others you know of? I have no comparison between the RT and SRT to offer, but from what I understand they are very different animals. It kills me to see it sitting in the garage. Are you going to try and drive it all year? Congrats on the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In my short time of SRT ownership I would say not as different as some would like to think and more different then others would like to think.
I try to use it as daily drive as much as possible. My R/T was a more practical Alaska car, sat a little higher and 18 inch tires. I have not seen any challengers since winter.
I have not seen the PCP out here. I have seen a couple of black SRT's, hemi orange both R/T and SRT and I saw and spoke with the owner of a Blue SE who lives out here and through an obvious labor of love fabricated his own shaker hood and several other less obvious body mods. Some one was driving a early 1970's barracuda around that had custom purple paint this summer.

Quite the warm spell, eh?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Brakes and Suspension are a good upgrade from the R/T. However in my own two vehicle run off my 09 Challenger RT auto would out run my 06 300C SRT-8 (probably did this a half dozen times). Never took the RT to the track but the 300C SRT-8 would knock off 13.4's with a intake and tune and really poor traction! When they redesigned the 5.7 and added the VVT life got much better. Can wait to get my IA 392 to become the undisputed driveway king. My 10 truck with a 5.7 is no slouch either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts