Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drag races start up this Friday at the local strip here in Abilene, and I plan on being there to try out my new strategy for drag racing in 2021: accentuate my positives and minimize my negatives.

It’s not going to be easy though. I have little to no advantages to accentuate, and there are so many negatives...so, so many...

Nevertheless, I will forge ahead and give it my best shot.

1) stop leaving so late!
Seriously, a cursory glance at all my previous time slips shows one thing for sure: with the exception of 1 really good hole shot, I suck at leaving anywhere close to the green light. Almost all my reaction times are over 0.5 secs!

But here’s where my new strategy comes in. I know there is 0.5 secs between the last yellow and the green, so if I mash the gas as soon as I see the last yellow light up, I should be very close to leaving right on the green!

2) adjust the auto-upshift RPM of 1-2 and 2-3 to eliminate the 2-3 shift completely.
It’s an 1/8 mile track and I have the 5 speed NAG1, so I should be able to get my shifts set to completely cut out the last shift right before the finish line. It won’t help a lot, but every millisecond counts.

3) datalog every run, and use the data to make tune adjustments before the next run
I should have already been doing this, but I haven’t been very consistent about it in the past. That will change in 2021!

That’s enough for now. I don’t want to get too fancy the first weekend. Let’s just see if I can do better than my 50% win/loss average and then see what works and what doesnt. 😎

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, I’m still just doing test and tunes. But in my head it’s the Funny Car finals and I’m lining up against John Force himself. The title is on the line, and my kids ain’t ate in two weeks so I could afford a new new parachute for The Bacon Hauler.

Now, in real life, I don’t have any kids and The Bacon Hauler wouldn’t know what to do with a parachute if she was born with one, but I’ve never let a little thing called reality get in my way!

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
But here’s where my new strategy comes in. I know there is 0.5 secs between the last yellow and the green, so if I mash the gas as soon as I see the last yellow light up, I should be very close to leaving right on the green!
Yep, whatever you do, even if you red light, do the same thing over and over, then see how you average out.

2) adjust the auto-upshift RPM of 1-2 and 2-3 to eliminate the 2-3 shift completely.
It’s an 1/8 mile track and I have the 5 speed NAG1, so I should be able to get my shifts set to completely cut out the last shift right before the finish line. It won’t help a lot, but every millisecond counts.
I assume you mean eliminate the 3-4, right?
I forget where my 2006 Charger R/T shifted, also what do you think your trap speed will be in the 1/8?

3) datalog every run, and use the data to make tune adjustments before the next run
I should have already been doing this, but I haven’t been very consistent about it in the past. That will change in 2021!
Interesting stuff, other than shift points, what all can/will you adjust?

Reactions: Nuke

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume you mean eliminate the 3-4, right?
I forget where my 2006 Charger R/T shifted, also what do you think your trap speed will be in the 1/8?
I’d have to look back at some of my old datalogs to be sure, but I was thinking I could cut it down to only one shift in the 1/8 by getting creative with the AutoUpshift RPMs.

IDK, I’m a little bummed at the moment. Just got word they cancelled the races tonight. Evidently word got out that I was planning on attending, and they didn’t want the other racers to be discouraged at the thought of losing to me, so they just shut the whole thing down.

Either that or it was because of the rain, but how likely is that???

Interesting stuff, other than shift points, what all can/will you adjust?
I mainly watch for repeating KR spikes and try to adjust the WOT Fuel and Spark to mitigate it. If there is none, then I’ll adjust the spark until I see some and back it off a little.

The gas here in Abilene is only 91 octane, so certain sacrifices have to be made unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it’s no 7 second eighth or anything, but 23 MPG at 200K miles w/out using MDS feels like a moral victory

·
Registered
2017 Challenger T/A 392 A8
92 Posts
I always leave on the last yellow. This drive by wire crap takes a bit get moving (or I'm just slow with reacting, lol). The tricky part is, do you go right when it comes on or do you wait a little bit?

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always leave on the last yellow. This drive by wire crap takes a bit get moving (or I'm just slow with reacting, lol). The tricky part is, do you go right when it comes on or do you wait a little bit?
Funny you should mention the drive by wire element. I’ll be driving my 2012 the next time I make a run and will have the throttle “boosted” by the tuner I’m using. And while the throttle on these cars is notoriously slow to respond, I’m wondering how that Throttle Boost will change that, if at all.

Worst case scenario is it actually makes it respond quicker and I fed light while applying my new found ideology. But hey, that’s why they it call test and tune!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts