Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta say I'm a little excited. I'm sitting at work (at the dealership) and they are putting my new Hotchkiss Sways on the 14 Plum Crazy.

Hardest part is waiting til I'm off work to be able to drive it.

Tech said it was actually not bad to do the rear one. Front one is being done now.

I didn't upgrade the end links, but figure, looking at plenty of pictures, that I can do that myself if need be. No money to do the end links in the budget right now anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
How much for the install? From what I've heard the rear is quite a job.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
What size were the stock ones on your car? Before I did coil overs I thought about doing springs and bars, but found the aftermarket rears were smaller than stock @ 19mm vs 20mm.

The front bar looks beefy. Interested to hear what you think after the first drive!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My rear was 5/8 in (16mm approx), just measured it. New rear 3/4 (19mm). New front bar is 1 1/2 in in diameter.

I work at the dealership, so I get a discounted rate, front was 1 hr install time and rear was 5.4 hrs. As I said I get a discounted rate, so I paid $371.20 for install. Took my tech about 4 hrs total including lunch.

Spoke with him about alignment, he said he could see on the bushings where everything had been and it all lined right back up, so see how it drives and if it doesn't seem right to get an alignment, otherwise don't worry about it yet.

Hardest part is waiting. I am not off work for 2 more hours, and I've been staring a my car sitting there done and ready to drive for 4 hours already.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Ok, cool. Yeah, I know some R/Ts and the SRT8s come with the 16mm rear bar, some R/Ts (like mine) came with the 20mm rear bar.

I've left the bars alone since going coil overs, those bumped up the spring rate by quite a bit so swapping bars hasn't been needed.

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
You'll definitely be pleased with the results...it was the first major mod I did on my car after it arrived.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope so. I did an intake and strut bars front and rear and the strut bars made a big difference, but she wallowed through the corners and really liked to push. I made the decision to do sway bars after an experience in Boulder Canyon.

A car was broken down halfway through a blind corner and I was cruising at about 40mph. I had to make an emergency lane change and there was a car oncoming. When I went back to go back to my lane to not have a head on, the car pushed badly and almost caused an accident.

I think the next mod is bolt in subframe connectors and a driveshaft loop as my car does get pushed hard.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the Stack Performance sway bars and they are 38mm(1.5") front and 19mm(.75") rear. They are a lot beefier than stock. The stiffness rate was 100% stiffer front and 150% stiffer rear. It flatten out the car a lot in hard turns and improved the response noticeably. There is no dramatic change in ride harshness over most roads. It's worth every penny so far.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can definitely tell you that they helped out quite a bit. Car feels much more planted.

I'm debating on the end links now, cause she does still roll some, but I don't want to lose any ride quality by stiffening the end links up too far.

We'll live with it for a bit and see. Overall, very happy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is on my short list.. I just got springs, I am looking at the big brake upgrade and thinking of doing the sways while I am taking it all apart anyway..

Let us know what you think

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is on my short list.. I just got springs, I am looking at the big brake upgrade and thinking of doing the sways while I am taking it all apart anyway..

Let us know what you think

Car definitely rolls less. Though it does have some. I don't care about body roll as much as the car pushing through corners and it definitely helped out a lot with the pushing.

It still will, as will any car, but it is so much more planted now than it was before.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
For those of you putting after market sway bar kits in your cars, be sure to measure your current bars. In my 2012 R/T plus the bars are bigger than just about every kit out there. You can put adjustable links from Razors Edge Motorsports to tune what you have. In the rear of my Challenger I put the Spohn non adjustable link that is quite thicker in diameter and has urethane bushing. This will make your rear bar stiffen up a bit. For the Front, the Razors Edge Motor Sports adjustable links are beefier and you can tune them to the feel you like without removing once you have installed them. That is if you do it right. Mine came without instructions and I installed them incorrectly. I had to remove them promptly as to not damage any thing and in the process trashed one of the bolts that came with the kit. To give you an idea of how upstanding Razors Edge is, I called Paul Riccio from the company and explained the whole situation. He backs his product to the max and is sending new ends out at no cost to me. It was not their fault really that the directions where not in the kit, I was on top of them for not getting the kit to me quickly. Well they did after I inquired, 2 day express mail. In the rush, the instructions just got missed, and the idiot who installed them (me) couldn't see that I was doing it wrong. They are a stand up group of guys in my book, and have great products. If you want good info on suspension stuff, give Paul a call. You will find their products on the internet at RazorsEdgeMotorsports. And by the way I did not damage my cars suspension as I removed them right away due to the noise after driving around the block. I knew something was not right, operator, dip shit installer error, otherwise know as me. Check em out.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Paul is a top notch guy ......... and I have their stuff on my car and love it and everything whitechally just said is true that's how all other companies should handle their customer service

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just FYI, my rear sway was 16mm stock, so the new one was an increase in size. Front was quite definitely an increase in size.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts