Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get some help with a few beginner questions.

I need new tires for my 2012 RT 5.7 m6. I'm wondering if this is a good time to also have the TPMS replaced even though they seem to be functional still. If that is recommended, does anyone have a part recommendation for that? The wheels I have are pictured below, if that matters for the TPMS part. Also is that an installation that pretty much any tire shop should be able to do?

I'm also wondering if I need to have alignment checked because both the front and rear tires seem to be wearing slightly more on the inside edge. is there such a thing as rear alignment on these cars? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
The average lifespan of the batteries is 7-12 years so if you want to have peace of mind you can swap them out. As for the tire wear, that is due to the camber settings on the car. The tires wear more on the inside which is perfectly normal.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Your car is a 2012, have you ever had a wheel alignment done?

Don't faint when the dealership says it's $200. I had one done last year at Christmas because the steering wheel seemed to be fighting me at times on the side roads where I'm not going all that fast. It turned out my rear was out of sorts. I guess hitting an island in a Walmart parking lot with my right rear wheel messed it up as far as alignment goes. :eek:

All has been fine since the alignment, but I have never noticed uneven tire wear. They are all pretty much bald now. :grin2:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks this is all helpful to know. The car did get an alignment at a dealership a couple years ago so maybe its time to have it re-checked... The steering wheel does feel little off center. The tire wear pattern looks relatively similar on all four tires, although some have worn a little more than others.

Are the TPMS different for different wheels or is it one-size fits all?

·
Super Moderator
13,332 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The TPMS sensors are the same for all four wheels. Make sure that you get the right ones for your car- otherwise, they will not work.

You will need Part #56029398AA, 433 MHz

Tire Rack has a good price of $38 each.

https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/results.jsp?autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Challenger&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=R/T
Thanks for that reference! So it looks like they are vehicle specific but not necessarily wheel-specific... Discount Tire said they have "oem factory" parts for $60 ea., but are those really any different from what you linked to Tire Rack?

·
Super Moderator
13,332 Posts
Thanks for that reference! So it looks like they are vehicle specific but not necessarily wheel-specific... Discount Tire said they have "oem factory" parts for $60 ea., but are those really any different from what you linked to Tire Rack?
Dodge uses Schrader TPMS sensors. Other brands are equally as good. I would trust Tire Rack. They would not sell inferior sensors for their tires.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for TPMS. I found these at a price that was too hard to pass up: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W97W0GO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are Schrader valves and I can't seem to find any info on whether or not they need to be programmed. Does anyone know? I'm going to have them installed by Discount Tire but just want to have a sense of what I'm asking them to do since it may or may not be the type they are used to installing...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
spun bearing
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing