Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't have Challenger, yet, but the plan is for TA in a year. Drove 392 Scat Pack (see avatar) at Cleveland auto show and am hooked on the new muscle.
Still would love a 68-70 Charger/Roadrunner, but new Challenger a better option.
Thanks for the add

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Welcome and good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,656 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
745 Posts
Welcome from SC. Back in the early 70"s I had a 68 GTX. Except for not being a 60's muscle car the Scat Pack is better in every way.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Welcome from SC. Back in the early 70"s I had a 68 GTX. Except for not being a 60's muscle car the Scat Pack is better in every way.
You know, IF we were given all these classic cars we pine after, even in new condition. We would soon scream for our modern Challengers. Sadly. Perhaps it is better they always stay in our minds as opposed to our garages.

Reactions: Al A

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,028 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,373 Posts
You know, IF we were given all these classic cars we pine after, even in new condition. We would soon scream for our modern Challengers. Sadly. Perhaps it is better they always stay in our minds as opposed to our garages.
Good point Scat. Truth is, the good old days weren't really as good as we seem to think they were. For example, does anybody remember the lousy stereos, the wind noise, the crummy heating/cooling systems, the road noise, and trying to deal with the choke?

I also remember that things just didn't last. New starter, spark plug wires, alternator, water pump... just to name a few. Seemed like i was always having to replace something... long before I reached 100k miles.

The good old days? I learned a lot about wrenching because I had to. Couldn't seem to get a car that would run reliably for me. At least not by today's standards. Ha... even the oil we used needed to be changed out far more often just because the additive package couldn't hold up.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You’re right, Gary. Also, bias ply tires, ho-hum wheels (why Cragars became so popular), prone to rust (although I did like the thicker gauge sheet metal), short-range headlights, body and engine that wouldn’t hold up much beyond 75k miles. A 100k car then was quite the anomaly. And of course there’s no competing with technology today that wasn’t available then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
745 Posts
Good point Scat. Truth is, the good old days weren't really as good as we seem to think they were. For example, does anybody remember the lousy stereos, the wind noise, the crummy heating/cooling systems, the road noise, and trying to deal with the choke?

I also remember that things just didn't last. New starter, spark plug wires, alternator, water pump... just to name a few. Seemed like i was always having to replace something... long before I reached 100k miles.

The good old days? I learned a lot about wrenching because I had to. Couldn't seem to get a car that would run reliably for me. At least not by today's standards. Ha... even the oil we used needed to be changed out far more often just because the additive package couldn't hold up.

You’re right, Gary. Also, bias ply tires, ho-hum wheels (why Cragars became so popular), prone to rust (although I did like the thicker gauge sheet metal), short-range headlights, body and engine that wouldn’t hold up much beyond 75k miles. A 100k car then was quite the anomaly. And of course there’s no competing with technology today that wasn’t available then.
Gary and Al, Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Reminded me of daily working on the GTX because it was required. The last 2 Dodge trucks have gone 250k and 150k miles respectively with very little maintenance other than replacing consumables and the work on the Scat Pack is discretionary rather than obligatory. I would still like to have that GTX but it just doesn't compare to the new technology.

Reactions: Al A

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,373 Posts
Gary and Al, Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Reminded me of daily working on the GTX because it was required. The last 2 Dodge trucks have gone 250k and 150k miles respectively with very little maintenance other than replacing consumables and the work on the Scat Pack is discretionary rather than obligatory. I would still like to have that GTX but it just doesn't compare to the new technology.
250k... imagine that. Just try that on your typical 60's muscle car. We've come a long way, BABY. For those of you young fellers who don't know where that saying came from, it was the slogan for Virginia Slims cigarettes back in the 60's before cigarette commercials became illegal CLICKY

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
250k... imagine that. Just try that on your typical 60's muscle car. We've come a long way, BABY. For those of you young fellers who don't know where that saying came from, it was the slogan for Virginia Slims cigarettes back in the 60's before cigarette commercials became illegal CLICKY

Little known fact. Four years after this commercial aired, the skinny blonde died a horrific death from lung cancer.
I swear I’m making this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
745 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I waited 3 days to see who would bite, never dreamed it would be Gary:laugh2:

I saw it, figured you were bating.... haha.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
When was the last time you:

Patched a fender with a Maxwell House coffee can or old license plate (with pop rivets(, and covered it with tiger-hair and bondo?

Bypassed a starter solenoid with a screwdriver to start your car?

Pounded a hubcap into place on the heel of your hand?

Replaced a worn or broken V-belt?

Replaced a heater core after it dumped anti-freeze on your feet and fogged up your windows?

Taped a door key under the hood (that released without a cable from inside) so you could get in your car if you locked the keys inside?

Unlocked your car door with a coat hanger (when the key taped under the hood fell out somewhere)?

Yeah the good-old days weren't always that good, were they?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Back to the T/A talk. Before you drop the dime on the T/A, be sure to search this forum (and others) for everything you might want to know about the 6-piston Brembo Brakes and the maintenance/care of the satin finish on the hood/roof/decklid on the T/A.

I've been lusting after a T/A 392 for some time. However, the issue with the finish maintenance, brake dust, and expensive rotor/brake replacement cost had me looking at other options....like taking an R/T ScatPack (392 with the 4-piston brakes), and then adding black vinyl wrap (gloss instead of satin) to the hood/roof/deck lid. Add hood pins. You can get the T/A look without some of the higher maintenance/cost issues associated with the T/A's standard features. I'm not a fan of the T/A stripe and letters, but you could add those if you wish.

Just some stuff to think about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts