Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,new to forum and this is my first question. Recently bought a 2011 Challenger R/
T with a 6 speed. My question is I parked the car on a hill and left it in reverse. Went to move the car and it took quite a bit of force to get it out off reverse. Another time it was shutoff in second and again the same thing......quite a bit off force to get it out of second. The second time she was on level ground. Both times clutch was in........Doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Paul

·
Registered
417 Posts
Were you able to start the car with the clutch depressed?

Once running, were you able to let the clutch out and move the car slightly in the direction of the gear its in, i.e. reverse or forward?

Might be worth trying. I've never had this problem, and I have parked of pretty steep hills. Usually leave it in 1st gear.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Sounds like the seller forgot to mention that tiny little detail... Well just don't park with it in gear use your parking brake...most will say it needs grease on the input splines, the only problem with that is this has been happening consistently no matter what year the vehicle is and happened to me with a lot of wasted time and no resolution, that would suggest that the fault lies inside the transmission...if they ever change transmission vendors you'll probably see the issue go away and stay away...and the plot thickens

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,
yes e-brake was on and I could start car with clutch in. At that point I let it roll forward and was able to apply enough pressure to get it out of gear. The second time while on level ground I just took off in second and I could shift into third ok. I did find a post on here where others discussed this issue. Talked about the grease and dirt on input shaft and changing fluid in trans. She is going back to dealer where I bought it for a rotor issue. I will bring it up and see where it goes.....thanks for the replies and I will let you know. Feeling is I will get the run around from the dealer.

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I only put the E brake on when parking and leave it in N.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Here's what I recommend parking a 6-speed car.

*shift to neutral (you can shu
*apply parking brake
*let off service brake (vehicle will move a bit as parking brake engages)
*push clutch pedal in, shift to Reverse or 1st

You won't have clutch bind when you need to go again.

I've experienced this just with parking in my garage and the slight roll while in gear will cause that bind to happen, so I adopted the above and it prevents it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello,new to forum and this is my first question. Recently bought a 2011 Challenger R/
T with a 6 speed. My question is I parked the car on a hill and left it in reverse. Went to move the car and it took quite a bit of force to get it out off reverse. Another time it was shutoff in second and again the same thing......quite a bit off force to get it out of second. The second time she was on level ground. Both times clutch was in........Doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Paul
I don't know if this is a major concern... may have to do with sychronizer gears. I've had this happen many times on my 2010 R/T and a few times on previous cars. It's usually when I'm parked on a hill. I just yank it out of the gear it's in and put it in the one I want (clutch depressed).

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Wrong grease issue, happened to my 2011 as well. This is not caused by improperly parking a manual on a hill. :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
81 Posts
Google STARR Online #K38556860 and take the info to the dealer. it was a issue with the 2009 challenger, but problem seems to be across the board with the 6 speed. one other symptom that occurs is when clutch is fully depressed and car is started car will creep forward due to the clutches hanging on the input shaft and flywheel. i have had this happen have not taken car in yet. will do over winter. what i have been doing is to pump clutch a few times to free it up when warm i have no issues at all just after sitting overnight and no its not a hydraulic leak!!! just clutch hanging on splines. mine is a eary 2010

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
2010 owner here and seldom park with trans in gear except steep inclines. Never had to force the trans into or out of gear. The parking brake is your friend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts