Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just picked it up. WOW! Even dealing with break in it’s like a caged animal!
That said I noticed when I take my foot off the gas the feels like it drops to a lower gear. It doesn’t like coasting. Is that normal?
I was in street mode but not eco mode.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What was the transmission set to? If it’s in track mode that thing will always be downshifting. Ready for you to mash the gas again. Yeah she angry to say the least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
my HC feels similar at times.
I do think its mode related. I drive mine in track mode for the trans most times and it certainly likes to be in & maintain the lowest gear that the car decides is optimal for the rpm range. Ive learned to trust it.
....besides having to down shift in 65/1000th's of a seconds is such a waste of time... ;):cool::p:geek:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
how much more do you have until break in is over?
Its hard to keep out of it. I just left mine in 500hp until 1000miles which corresponded with its 1st oil change.
Tip: never, ever jump the gas all out while changing lanes (like on the freeway) or going around someone. even when dry, she'll want to swap ends on you. For some reason that much HP combined with even a small amount of weight transfer & directional change makes the cats loose composure. Its a known issue.
Ive never even put in mine in 'monster' mode, as its called..lol. most Ive ever done is track traction and that was loose enough for me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Congrats! ^and like he said^, even in widebody form the HC hasn't met a tire or surface it won't make smoke on, and will break loose at highway speeds. I've self-puckered a few times during that exact maneuver. The good news is traction control & ESP is gonna be your friend (and/or savior) ;)

FYI the trans may not be all that smooth/might hunt at times until you get at least several hundred miles and the adaptives are learned. 500 miles is the milestone for SRT App/full engine power, as the semi-official break in period. But also keep in mind there's still some 'break in' going on until the first oil change, give or take.

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
336 Posts
That is correct. If punched at any speed and you are putting a majority of the weight on half the tires, prepare to start to slide.

This brings us to the first problem you must solve. Those tires are a joke. Get rid of the things ASAP. I got some replica wheels in 11” configuration. Looks the same but now I can put a proper tire in there. I started with 305’s and now and at 315’s. Best hook I have gotten to date in the car. She sticks now, but this was done with Nitto NT05R’s. For those keeping track at home, same tires that come on the Demon, and for good reason. They are sticky as you can get and are the best burnout protection you can buy. But know they aren’t going to last long.

Just know putting this much tire in the back wheel wells is going to make you trim the plastic, it’s plastic dont lose any sleep over it. Trim till it don’t rub and then trim a little more. Because when your fat buddy gets in the back and compresses the shocks, it will get lower.

I might try something in the wear rating of 100 next, as these are 0. But for my safety and this much power, it’s the right call. This is my second car and I drive it for fun only, but if this is your daily I can see you doing something with more longevity. Dealers choice.

Good luck, be safe and we will see you out there.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
1st hellcats 2015-2016s had 3 wake ups, of my memory serves me correct.
500, 750 & 5000 miles. full power at 500, fuel adaptives being one I thought was 750 and everything was all in at 5000. I dont know if that has changed or not in more recent editions of if i have that confused with my previous viper.
I didnt feel my cat had really settled in & sorta 'refined' itself until after aprox 1500.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine was at 1500 or 1000 miles certainly not 5000. I have a 2016

·
Registered
79 Posts
So just picked it up. WOW! Even dealing with break in it’s like a caged animal!
That said I noticed when I take my foot off the gas the feels like it drops to a lower gear. It doesn’t like coasting. Is that normal?
I was in street mode but not eco mode.
Congrats on the purchase drive safe brother. Isnt the exhaust popping amazing after a pull?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I've got about 250 miles on it now, so I'm "allowed" to go 70- - - .

I've played around with the different settings, ECO, STREET, SPORT, TRACK- - -well I haven't gotten to track yet honestly but they make a huge difference in how the tranny behaves, as well they should! Anxious to get to 300 this week, weather permitting.

Come on, warm weather!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Turn off the traction control and learn the car! eventually you’ll know where the line is drawn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts