Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Sad part about all that beauty is that it's very difficult to see them, even in broad daylight. That's why I'm not a big fan of the dark wheels on my '15 SRT392.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Don't they look exactly almost like the wrt wheels? And congratulations!! Super car.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sad part about all that beauty is that it's very difficult to see them, even in broad daylight. That's why I'm not a big fan of the dark wheels on my '15 SRT392.
Are you referring to these Hyper Black wheels on your '15 SRT392 or do you have something different?
IMG_8228.jpg
I thought they looked pretty bright for what they are.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Are you referring to these Hyper Black wheels on your '15 SRT392 or do you have something different?
View attachment 855313
I LOVE those wheels. LOVE!!! I will go there. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
View attachment 855313
If the sun is at your back and you're looking straight on at the car, the wheels indeed brighten up a bit and are not bad. But the truth is they don't look like that most of the time. They look rather dark. I love the design, but I don't like dark anything. How I wish they were chrome. Just me: remember, I'm one of the old timers and grew up wishing I could afford a set of Cragar SS mags. Funny how whether it's music, blue jeans, or the wheels on my car, the things I loved as a teenager seem to have stuck with me all these years.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
If the sun is at your back and you're looking straight on at the car, the wheels indeed brighten up a bit and are not bad. But the truth is they don't look like that most of the time. They look rather dark. I love the design, but I don't like dark anything. How I wish they were chrome. Just me: remember, I'm one of the old timers and grew up wishing I could afford a set of Cragar SS mags. Funny how whether it's music, blue jeans, or the wheels on my car, the things I loved as a teenager seem to have stuck with me all these years.
We are a product of our environment. Really, we don't change all that much. That feeling we have for things as a youth seem to remain. My Challenger reminds me of the old days, when cars ran right. And I like it. I too wish my wheels were not dark. I like the torque thrust gray center with the chrome lip. 70s.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
We are a product of our environment. Really, we don't change all that much. That feeling we have for things as a youth seem to remain. My Challenger reminds me of the old days, when cars ran right. And I like it. I too wish my wheels were not dark. I like the torque thrust gray center with the chrome lip. 70s.
Ha: thinking about those good old days, when I was a kid. Bobby next door had a very unusual father. Whenever he got himself in trouble, his punishment was often a bowl cut haircut. Dad literally put a bowl on his head and shaved everything not protected by the bowl. We all thought it was hilarious looking. Fast forward 50 years. Now, people pay good money for these exact same haircuts.

In the 60's many cars came with cheap springs. After a few years, they sagged, terribly. The cars would be riding "on the ground" as we used to say. The general idea was:

low rider = broke driver.

Fast forward 50 years. Guys paying' good money to lower their cars. And then flooding forums like this one telling each other how wonderful it looks.

I'm not judging, all this stuff is strictly opinion. Ha.. I'm probably in the minority, even here. But from behind these eyes, it's like the whole world has turned itself upside down.

Don't think so? When I was a kid, the worst thing in the world to me was being told that I couldn't go outside to play. Staying in was torture. All the kids ran around the neighborhood like banshies. It's just what we did. Today, it's exactly the opposite. Kids sit alone in their rooms with a cell phone stuck in their face, and good luck getting them motivated. I fought this for the past 11 years as a teacher trying to motivate the munchkins to do their homework.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,064 Posts
OK, help me out. Chrome 5 spokes, more squared off and flat spokes, I have it in my head ARs, but damned if I can find them. 70's-maybe early 80's

A Guy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I came through cars in the late 50s and early 60s. We used a torch to heat the front springs to lower the car. Removed leafs from the rear for the same effect. I always ran stock steel wheels painted black with either Dodge Lancer hubcaps or beauty rings and baby moons. After the war, or my piece of it anyway, I bought a 66 Chevelle SS396. 4 speed and would smoke the tires off it. It was pretty low also and me and few friends would drive from Camp LeJeune to Cranston Rhode Island for a weekend. And we drove fast. WLS in Chicago had a DJ named Cousin Brucie and he was always broadcasting on Friday nights saying "for the fastest routes north or South follow the cars with the red bumper stickers - the Marines from Camp LeJeune NC.

Slotted mags are probably my very favorite wheels ever. But they don't fit with my car today. And I have rarely had chrome. Usually painted things by a bomb can. My kids threatened to get me a license plate that said BMBCN. Pretty funny really. I love how my wheels now fit the fender rolls and the stability of the ride. And chrome is just work. So don't feel the least bit blue for my ride. It's a fast son of a gun and I love to drive it. As far as caring what others have thought I gave that up when I came home from Viet Nam. And this car takes me back to my 66 and a 72 Olds 442 I had that would do a small wheelie off one tire on launch.

The other side is I love the little hot rods all dropped, and the 4 bys all lifted up. If it has 4 wheels and a motor I like it. It may not be my idea of what I love but it is certainly someones. And you have to respect the other guy if you expect to get respect back. Otherwise it's a pissin contest that gets no where. I can honestly say in the last 60 years I have no regrets about any of my rigs. My first was a 49 Ford that never ran! It's all good - - -

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Hey Norton, I had a 71 442. Those were some kind of cars! May have had more torque than my Scat!

Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I came through cars in the late 50s and early 60s...
Norton,
As soon as I read these words, I was "subscribed." Enjoyed the trip down memory lane. My journey started when I was 15 and I signed up in 1970 for auto shop class at Waterford Kettering High School. Too bad schools don't offer these types of classes any more. Our class did brakes and mufflers and oil changes for all the teachers, and they in turn donated money to the class for the equipment and supplies we needed to learn how to wrench. I learned a great deal in those days about performance. As a class project, I swapped out at 427 for my 327 2 barrel in my 67 Camaro. It only ran for a few days until I missed a shift and bent the valves. I've said before on this forum that I owned a muscle car for 3 days and have wanted one ever since. That's my story. But you'll like this Norton: the fella who sold me that Camaro w/80k miles on it for 350 bucks... bought himself an Olds 442. It was the fastest car I ever rode in while I was in high school. I'll never forget the thrill of being slammed back in the seat in that car. But alas, I couldn't afford one.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Norton,
As soon as I read these words, I was "subscribed." Enjoyed the trip down memory lane. My journey started when I was 15 and I signed up in 1970 for auto shop class at Waterford Kettering High School. Too bad schools don't offer these types of classes any more. Our class did brakes and mufflers and oil changes for all the teachers, and they in turn donated money to the class for the equipment and supplies we needed to learn how to wrench. I learned a great deal in those days about performance. As a class project, I swapped out at 427 for my 327 2 barrel in my 67 Camaro. It only ran for a few days until I missed a shift and bent the valves. I've said before on this forum that I owned a muscle car for 3 days and have wanted one ever since. That's my story. But you'll like this Norton: the fella who sold me that Camaro w/80k miles on it for 350 bucks... bought himself an Olds 442. It was the fastest car I ever rode in while I was in high school. I'll never forget the thrill of being slammed back in the seat in that car. But alas, I couldn't afford one.
I didn't know that. I too started with a 67 327 camaro with a stick. Then wound up with a 71 442. Yes very fast! I do believe the 69 Z-28 I got a ride in had it beat. Probably the stick, different kind of power.

You know I do but can't believe that story!!! 3 days???!!!!! I could only imagine what you were thinking while missing that gear. What rpm did you have it up to??? If it is too painful I understand.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I didn't know that. I too started with a 67 327 camaro with a stick. Then wound up with a 71 442. Yes very fast! I do believe the 69 Z-28 I got a ride in had it beat. Probably the stick, different kind of power.

You know I do but can't believe that story!!! 3 days???!!!!! I could only imagine what you were thinking while missing that gear. What rpm did you have it up to??? If it is too painful I understand.
Long story. I was 17. I had a part time job that didn't pay much. I couldn't afford the parts I needed to make the swap; it was a long struggle for every spring and bracket and etc. I had to walk a 1/2 mile to high school for 5 months through the winter while I struggled with that swap. It cost me every dime I had and for a high school boy with a busy social life, it was a terrible time to lose my car. I still had to pay my payments and insurance and etc. all that time and my parents were not happy with my needing a ride all the time. When I finally got it going, I had no alternator (too much money), no wipers (wiper motor didn't fit with the huge aluminum valve covers in the way). No hood (didn't fit as engine sat too high) front suspension was overwhelmed, stock rear end was no match for the power, and the worst problem: 3 speed shifter was shot. So I'm heading home from school, shoved it in second, stomped the pedal and VROOOM, nothing but a neutral. Dumb worn out shifter and no money to replace it. No idea how high the thing spun, but the dream died along with several of my pushrods. I didn't tear down the engine any further to assess damage as I found water in the oil that same day. Shop teacher said that my over-rev didn't cause this as the engine never ran after it happened. Apparently the motor was toast before I even started it up. I was heart broken and broke. I had traded my 327 to a local hot rodder for this engine. It had been in a vehicle that had been wrecked. Not sure what was wrong with it, but the "seller" was good enough to give me back my motor. Back to 150 hp, and even though the dream was dead, at least I had a reliable car again.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,064 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Long story. I was 17. I had a part time job that didn't pay much. I couldn't afford the parts I needed to make the swap; it was a long struggle for every spring and bracket and etc. I had to walk a 1/2 mile to high school for 5 months through the winter while I struggled with that swap. It cost me every dime I had and for a high school boy with a busy social life, it was a terrible time to lose my car. I still had to pay my payments and insurance and etc. all that time and my parents were not happy with my needing a ride all the time. When I finally got it going, I had no alternator (too much money), no wipers (wiper motor didn't fit with the huge aluminum valve covers in the way). No hood (didn't fit as engine sat too high) front suspension was overwhelmed, stock rear end was no match for the power, and the worst problem: 3 speed shifter was shot. So I'm heading home from school, shoved it in second, stomped the pedal and VROOOM, nothing but a neutral. Dumb worn out shifter and no money to replace it. No idea how high the thing spun, but the dream died along with several of my pushrods. I didn't tear down the engine any further to assess damage as I found water in the oil that same day. Shop teacher said that my over-rev didn't cause this as the engine never ran after it happened. Apparently the motor was toast before I even started it up. I was heart broken and broke. I had traded my 327 to a local hot rodder for this engine. It had been in a vehicle that had been wrecked. Not sure what was wrong with it, but the "seller" was good enough to give me back my motor. Back to 150 hp, and even though the dream was dead, at least I had a reliable car again.

UHHHHhhhhh, he sold you a bad motor. All that effort time and money!!! At least you got you old one back, I was waiting to hear that he wouldn't! So the big block upgrade from the small block isn't as effortless as advertised huh? That is truly one of life's learning lessons we seem to need to do at that age. I HAD to. Mine spent more time apart than running. Then after I and a friend rebuilt the top end and did a cam swap the rings blew. SMOKED ............... can't believe it. The even dumber guy who bought this thing thought all the smoke was tire smoke!!! I, as luck would have it went on vacation with my Dad the next week when the kid went insane. Ma was there.
What a fiasco!!!!! The list of problems in endless. Leaf spring broke away from the differential, burying itself in the middle of the street, at night, in Chicago on the WRONG side of town coming home from the stockyards. Among the many. Only when you are young.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts