Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just brought home this 2012 R/T with 33K miles. My first Mopar (other than minivans, which don't really count) and I really like it. I just joined the forum, so wanted to say hello. I'll soon be digging for threads on performance mods and such.

Welcome and congrats! I too have a '12 RT with 39k road tripping miles.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Congratulations!!! Get ready for a summer of fun!

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Congrats, nice looking car. How is it optioned? Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,027 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm new to Challengers, having come from Mustangs and a Corvette. I always loved the look, nearly bought one before the last Mustang, but price and condition led to a different choice. I'm not entirely clear on all the options/packages and how they are named. Such as this being a "Classic" - but it has manual trans, leather, sunroof, and navigation system. I was looking for a manual trans and leather above all else, and I nearly bought an 09 SRT8, but the price of this car was right. In terms of power, there's always a desire for more. So I am exploring the course of incremental mods. CAI, headers, a tune, etc. There's a lot to digest on the forum, but the mods and process are not much different than they were for the Mustang or Corvette. Get more air and fuel in, get exhaust out faster.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yours is a "Classic" because of the scripted badges on the side, the dual R/T stripes (homage to the 70's R/T Challengers), and some other options, like sun-roof, red-leather were only available in the "Classic". If you see other R/Ts from 11/12/13/14, many of them will have the two, what I call "war-paint" hash marks on the tops of the front fenders. Underneath, all R/Ts are the same, "Plus" and "Classic" are just option/badging packages.

What I did with my '13 R/T Classic, was add some additional badging to make it even more like a 1970 (DODGE letters on the Hood, red 345 numbers on the scoops, and red R/T badges below the "Challenger" badges on the side. I'm going to add hood pins and some retro-styled wheels this spring.

I'm not a fan of chrome, so I replaced my chrome fuel door with a black one. If you ever decided to go with black aftermarket wheels on your Red/Black car, a black fuel door would look great too.

Enjoy your R/T Classic, and be prepared for a lot of smiles, nods and "nice car" reactions wherever you go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I'm on the fence right now about the stripes and RT letters - may take them off. The only concern would be any difference in paint condition since the paint is 6 years old. I don't usually like chrome but I think it sits well with the retro style. But I have seen different wheels and finishes that look great too. I'm probably going to pursue power over appearance first anyway.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Those wheels are definitely patterned after the Cragar SS which was a staple on 60's/70's Muscle/Pony cars. Great look. I'm not sure what you might find if you remove those stripes. Best look around the forum for someone who's done it on a car that's seen some sun. Also, the best advice I've heard on "performance" is to research "Bang for your buck" options. Some performance mods are really expensive and (and cool) but don't give you a big performance boost. Others are less expensive and less glamourous (like a maybe computer-tune) but may give you better payback. Since mine is a daily driver, I've kept it bone stock, and opt for minor appearance mods. I did replace my spark-plugs just yesterday (yours and mine came with 30K mile copper plugs, and I let mine go until 65K). The electrodes were pretty worn down. I put the 100K mile Iridium tip NGKs in. If you don't know if/when your plugs were changed, you might pull one or two and take a look. 16 plugs at $8.99 might be a good start for you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have looked at some threads on removing the stripes and I am concerned about potential differences in paint appearance after I pull them off. I'm probably just going to pull off the R and T letters, and hit it with some compound, polish, and wax. If there is any ghosting I will probably just leave the stripes. Other users have reported ghosting, some have said compound/polish/wax addressed it, some have said it did not. So I'll do a little experiment and see how in plays out on my particular car.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I'm new to Challengers, having come from Mustangs and a Corvette. I always loved the look, nearly bought one before the last Mustang, but price and condition led to a different choice. I'm not entirely clear on all the options/packages and how they are named. Such as this being a "Classic" - but it has manual trans, leather, sunroof, and navigation system. I was looking for a manual trans and leather above all else, and I nearly bought an 09 SRT8, but the price of this car was right. In terms of power, there's always a desire for more. So I am exploring the course of incremental mods. CAI, headers, a tune, etc. There's a lot to digest on the forum, but the mods and process are not much different than they were for the Mustang or Corvette. Get more air and fuel in, get exhaust out faster.
Yep, all the basics of the internal combustion engine. Just that Dodge does a LOT of the work for you when you first get it.
At least with the 392 variation. Just SCREAMS!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Funny R/T story. I had someone ask me what the R/T letters on my car stood for, and I told them it was my initials, and made up a fake name "Rod Turner", and shook the young man's hand while saying, "Hi, I'm Rod Turner".

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm on the fence right now about the stripes and RT letters - may take them off. The only concern would be any difference in paint condition since the paint is 6 years old. I don't usually like chrome but I think it sits well with the retro style. But I have seen different wheels and finishes that look great too. I'm probably going to pursue power over appearance first anyway.
No! Keep the stripes and wheels, they're iconic.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, and the R/T...... I WISH I could have those wheels. Wear that R/T like a badge!
I am keeping the wheels, for sure. I like the throwback look on this car. I'm taking off the RT and maybe the stripes. I have seen this color with the chrome wheels and stripe delete and really like the look better.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
So we have some R/T fans on this thread. I want to replace my Mineral Gray ENVY (OEM original) wheels with some black aftermarket wheels Here's what I'm looking at. Leaning towards keeping with the classic 5-spoke style, but there are some more modern ones I'm attracted to. Chime in on which of these wheels would look best on my Black R/T (Red Interior). Sorry to hijack your thread misterg, but I want your input too!

They are:
1. Hurst Missle
2. Centerline MM6
3. Touren TR60
4. TSW Valencia
6. American Racing VN506.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts