Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2014 R/T for a few years now.
I did buy this vehicle used (had 2k miles on it from Florida, guy traded it in for the MOPAR orange) and it appears to have an aftermarket or upgraded exhaust, however, I don't have any I don't have any paperwork on this. I did swap out the air intake with a K&N system, but that is far as my upgrades have gone. The warranty on it is finally going to done soon so I will be able to do more upgrades to it.
My list of things I plan to do...in order...is...
1.) Oil Catch Can (seems pretty important, but like to hear people's views/opinions)
2.) Shifter (for the linkage issue with stock shifters and having issues hitting third gear)
3.) Tuner (looks like the Diablo Trinity 2 is what I should get, but again, would like to hear others views/opinions)
4.) Bore my throttle head out
5.) Replace headers
now this list is to be done in the next couple years...since I'm not made of money and have other hobbies I have to split my money with.

Let me know what ya'll think for my list...did I miss something that I should do before others on the list do I not have something on the list?

IMG_7094 (2).JPG

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,644 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum, best of luck with your modding. Great car!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Welcome from NC! Once you get bitten with the modding bug you can't get rid of it! I know...I tried!

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What are you doing with the car?
Just for daily fun or plan on racing?
Really want a hp bump or just looking to tinker?

I would do the catch can but people will debate otherwise. Then the shifter. Do longtubes then a tune together. Forget the ported throttle body unless you plan to modify beyond that, they don’t do much of anything on a stockish car but whatever you do, get a true bore throttle body if you pursue that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you doing with the car?
Just for daily fun or plan on racing?
Really want a hp bump or just looking to tinker?

I would do the catch can but people will debate otherwise. Then the shifter. Do longtubes then a tune together. Forget the ported throttle body unless you plan to modify beyond that, they don’t do much of anything on a stockish car but whatever you do, get a true bore throttle body if you pursue that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's pretty much a daily driver that I will have fun tinkering with. Doubt I'll ever really race it. Loved how the retro style looked and came across a deal I couldn't pass up.
I want HP, but don't have the cash to do major upgrades...yet...
Looking to try and get some basics done like what I listed, unless there are better things to do. Eventually I would like to do the camshaft and in the far future a super charger!

I have never heard about the oil catch can until I started researching upgrades to do to my car and it seems like it might be a good fit for me with how I typically drive my car. It's a daily driver that's only driven in the summer, but with this car...I can't just "drive" it, I feel a need to gun it whenever I can! LOL

I am unsure if I will have enough cash to do both tuner and long tubes in the same season (need to split my extra money between this and my lifted truck and other hobbies I have) so figured I would get tuner first before any "major" upgrades to be able to adjust engine for them.

I didn't know if the engine gets enough air which is why I thought I would need to do the throttle body, but if it can breath then I won't worry about it.

Also thought a tuner might help since I did do the cold air and it appears the car has an aftermarket exhaust (I bought this car used with 2k miles on it).

So...
Sounds like I'm on the right path with the shifter and oil catch can, then tuner, skip TB and get long tubes.

Any recommendations on models I should be getting? This is all pretty new to me and any info would be helpful, I have been researching them, but of course everyone says they have the best and there are always mixed customer reviews.

Are there any upgrades that I'm missing that would be good to do (looking to spend like $500ish per season-depending on what else I do with other hobbies).

I saw something in another post or somewhere about a throttle response unit. I understand it doesn't increase HP, but seems like everyone that gets it is really happy with it. Is this more something for automatics vs manuals or would manuals benefit from it as well?

Thanks again for your quick response and I can't wait to hear back thoughts from everyone!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also thanks to everyone welcoming me here!

This is the first time I joined one of these and am still figuring everything out.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
47 Posts
Old thread, but just wondering if OP did any of his said upgrades and where you are at with your build? I am in the upgrade phase as well and wondering what my next one should be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old thread, but just wondering if OP did any of his said upgrades and where you are at with your build? I am in the upgrade phase as well and wondering what my next one should be.
Hello srbecker58,
Unfortunately, with the economy, I had to push back anything I would do with my car right now.
I did look into the catch can further and it didn’t seem like something I need, at least yet (I put less than 1,000 miles on it a year right now).
My first upgrade I’ll be doing would be the short throw shifter, but like I said, I have to wait until money situation gets better...but I’m in no hurry, car is great like it is!

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
47 Posts
Hello srbecker58,
Unfortunately, with the economy, I had to push back anything I would do with my car right now.
I did look into the catch can further and it didn’t seem like something I need, at least yet (I put less than 1,000 miles on it a year right now).
My first upgrade I’ll be doing would be the short throw shifter, but like I said, I have to wait until money situation gets better...but I’m in no hurry, car is great like it is!
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I did the Barton in mine and I must say I do love it. Looks good, feels good, shifts amazing! I started up my own thread too about upgrades and I think I plan to do the Kenne Bell supercharger based on a few peoples recommendations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts