Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a scat pack wide body and while I love everything about the car and the power is just enough for me, I still have an itch for the supercharger whine. I’ve read countless of forums talking about what the car candle handle as far as wheel horsepower boost and needing new internals I guess my questions is while I want the horsepower boost I am mostly doing this to have the super charger whine (I’m aware it sounds stupid but that’s What I’ve come to terms with) do I still need to have new internals if I’m not looking to push the car sah past 500-510hp and just looking to hear the whine when I accelerate

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
you will probably get 50 percent saying its safe and 50 saying its not. Most from those who have never even had one. My take on it is if you have it done right by some place like Arrington that does lots of them and knows how to tune them precisely its probably safe at 6psi. But i wouldnt do it to my car in my back yard and rely on a canned tune. But then your taking advice already from someone that hasnt drove a single mile with a supercharger on my 6.4.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
If you are serious, and you will have to convince me of that, you should go with a Magnuson set up from Steve White Motors. You may even find that for boost you might want a 5.7L instead. You should wind up a little more than Scat Pack level power with no other mods and it will handle boost better than a 6.4L.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,201 Posts
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a scat pack wide body and while I love everything about the car and the power is just enough for me, I still have an itch for the supercharger whine. I’ve read countless of forums talking about what the car candle handle as far as wheel horsepower boost and needing new internals I guess my questions is while I want the horsepower boost I am mostly doing this to have the super charger whine (I’m aware it sounds stupid but that’s What I’ve come to terms with) do I still need to have new internals if I’m not looking to push the car sah past 500-510hp and just looking to hear the whine when I accelerate
That's a lot of money for the whine.

With my Hellcat the supercharger whine was present but only at lower speeds. I really paid little mind to it. I didn't add any real value to the car and the noise was not loud enough to be an irritant.

While I have not supercharged or turbocharged an engine at one time I wanted to and looked in to this subject extensively. One reference book I used was Automotive Supercharging & Turbocharging Manual, A Technical Guide, by John D. Humphries.

Full of a lot of charts and stuff this before turbocharger/supercharger kits were available.

As with any engine mod which raises the engine's output there is a risk the extra output will find the "weakest" part in the engine.

The loads involved do not go up linearly. A "10%" increase in HP is not a 10% increase of loads the various engine hardware must withstand.

My advice is if one wants a "hot rod" and one that comes with a supercharger for the whine the factory in this case already has you beat with the Hellcat and its supercharger. The supercharger is very nicely integrated into the car and the rest of the car is designed with presence of the supercharged engine in mind mainly I'm referring to its output. But fuel supply, engine cooling, oil cooling, supercharger charge cooling, supercharger drive, etc and so on and so forth appear to be quite good.

What you would spend on a Scat Pack plus the supercharger kit and what you would do to the car's warranty and its resale value you would be money ahead if not buying a new Hellcat a good used one. They exist. My 2018 was traded in last November with 33 months and 27.4K miles but in excellent condition. Good service history -- better than what the factory called for (and all documented). No mod's. No accidents.

A good one is not going to jump out and bite you on the butt. You need to look for one. But I daresay shopping for a good used Hellcat would be a much more pleasurable experience than lying night after night under your new Scat Pack trying to sort out the added supercharger.

With a Hellcat you get the whine but not the worry that comes from trying to replicate what the factory has done.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you really, really only want the sound, just make the sound and keep the hood shut in public.
No more than a grand, and keep the warranty.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
For the Whine? I hate SC whine. To me that is bizarre in itself.
For the same cost for what you want to do I would get a newer used HC with low miles and be done with it.
If you can swing a new HC, even better.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
HC does not have the whine of a Blown old school 55 Chevy you can hear a mile away. It’s barely detectable. It says “I’m here if you need me. Addictive and THE sweetest sound when rolled on.
i put the 2.8 Kenne Bell twin screw liquid cooled blower on my M6 RT. Sweet. Made me want more. Bought the Redeye within one year. New owner of the RT is very happy.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,901 Posts
you will probably get 50 percent saying its safe and 50 saying its not. Most from those who have never even had one. My take on it is if you have it done right by some place like Arrington that does lots of them and knows how to tune them precisely its probably safe at 6psi. But i wouldnt do it to my car in my back yard and rely on a canned tune. But then your taking advice already from someone that hasnt drove a single mile with a supercharger on my 6.4.
Buy as much factory HP as you can afford.

You're not going to save any money by buying a WB Scat Pack and adding a SC.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,309 Posts
Turbos or Superchargers Produce a Whine / Howling and all Super Chargers have a bit of a Whine to them when your pushing the Pedal.
Only the B&M's were the least noise one I've heard. How ever if the Noise is too much truthfully you dont want to add a boost unless
you go with a Hellcat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Put a 3.6 Kenne Bell blower with correct pulley (psi), conservative tune, switch to E85 or add Torco on every fill up (don't sweat orange plugs). Run 91 octane or better gas from the station that turns it over the fastest. Enjoy whine.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you want a supercharged car, I'd just buy a used Hellcat. You can even find a few used Hellcat wide-bodies for the same price as a new Scat Pack WB. Unless you're really intent on having something unique that you've built yourself. In which case I might go with a stroked and/or cammed 5.7 with a Maggie or Whipple, or a Whipple on the Scat Pack on low boost (6-7 PSI) TUNED BY AN EXPERT. Tuning is really the key in supercharging a 6.4 without changing out the pistons. Same goes for trans tuning.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,309 Posts
If you want a supercharged car, I'd just buy a used Hellcat. You can even find a few used Hellcat wide-bodies for the same price as a new Scat Pack WB. Unless you're really intent on having something unique that you've built yourself. In which case I might go with a stroked and/or cammed 5.7 with a Maggie or Whipple, or a Whipple on the Scat Pack on low boost (6-7 PSI) TUNED BY AN EXPERT. Tuning is really the key in supercharging a 6.4 without changing out the pistons. Same goes for trans tuning.
Upgrade the Drive Shaft as well....

·
Registered
421 Posts
I put a Magnuson supercharger on my 2012 R/T back in 2017. If I would have bought a car after 2015 I would just get a used Hellcat but my car is just driving for pleasure so it only has around 23,000 miles on it. My original price was $36k after tax for a loaded RT, the supercharger and other upgrades ive added to my car to make it work are probably around $10-12k in parts. No labor since I did everything myself. That's a new 3-row radiator, racing brakes, supercharger, cai, pump, ps cooler, wheels, tires, shifter, strut bracing (front/rear) and pushrods. To make any more horsepower safely and effectively I still need to redo the entire exhaust, get a dyno tune and upgrade my springs and camshaft and then i'll probably grenade the getrag. If I'm being honest, power isn't the issue, tire is the biggest issue on this car. 245s in the front just aren't effective at keeping grip in a 4000 pound vehicle, it really could uses something like a 305 but without fender flares the biggest tire I can fit will be something around 275 since I have RT knuckles and don't want to add them.

Buying a used Hellcat on the other hand makes more power and is overbuilt to handle it for around $50k. The brakes aren't as good as mine but still effective. No brainer for anyone who isn't as deeply invested as someone like me. The only positives i've got are, I had the satisfaction of doing the work myself and my car is still lighter and faster than a Hellcat so on local tracks that are technical, granted Miatas and Focus RSs are faster than any Challenger at Waterford Hills and I've passed Mustang GT350s that I never should have (bad drivers).

I think in the end it just depends on what you want out of the car. Do you want a project? Do you want to drag race? Do you want to road race? Do you want something just to go fast in bursts on the freeway?

Reactions: bad13

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
Yeah OP at 1 post asking about a blower, and never replied back. I knew he/she/it wasn't serious!

·
Vendor
13,246 Posts
Put a 3.6 Kenne Bell blower with correct pulley (psi), conservative tune, switch to E85 or add Torco on every fill up (don't sweat orange plugs). Run 91 octane or better gas from the station that turns it over the fastest. Enjoy whine.
:ROFLMAO: that motor wont last long, may not even get off the dyno

·
Registered
421 Posts
Oh my God, I hope my Whipple sounds better than that when it gets done. I either want it to sound like the old GM type or I want it silent.
Whipples are noisy, Magunsons are quite. 10 years of feedback in the forums on that

Reactions: Frank Julian
1 - 20 of 41 Posts