Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site and was hoping to get some input from people out there that have these cars. I have been looking for a modern muscle car that seats 4 people. I have always been a die hard Chevy fanatic and have never had any Mopar product other than a Sport Satellite and Plymouth Fury years ago. I really like the look of the new Challenger and don't think there's anything that compares to it on the market for the price.. I looked at the new ZL1 Camaro, Boss Mustang and keep coming back to the Challenger. I haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet but am trying to decide on which model to set my sights on. I'm leaning towards the 392 Scat Pack car. I'm probably going to get one with an automatic transmission. How do they perform? Any complaints or advice? I'd ultimately like to get the Hellcat, but think I may get weird with the car and not drive it unless the weather is perfect. I've been saving for a long time and want to pull the trigger but would like to hear the pros and cons about these cars from people that have them. Are thereperformance mods that can get the 392 to Hellcat status? Any advice would be appreciated and valued. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 392 Scatpack. You'll get a fantastic looking car that will perform in the 12s at the drag strip.

Also, since the Challenger is a muscle car, and not a pony car, you will enjoy the extra room in the interior and trunk space over the smaller Camaro and Mustang.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The only thing I will add is this. The Challenger is "retro" in design. It looked original when it came out. It looks original now. It will continue to look original 10-20 years from now. There's nothing like it on the road. There is a joy of ownership and feel when you are driving it.

Since you mentioned 392, Boss, ZL1,etc, you must be into performance. I see my Challenger as a luxury cruiser. It takes me back to my first car (1978 Buick Regal). Big, heavy, big doors, coupe. There is a Challenger for everyone at every budget.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Are thereperformance mods that can get the 392 to Hellcat status? Any advice would be appreciated and valued. Thanks!
Ok, stop right there. If Hellcat status is your goal then do not buy a Scat Pack or anything else, go buy a Hellcat. Seriously. Trying to get a Scat Pack to reliably run with a Hellcat will leave you disappointed with a much thinner wallet and no powertrain warranty. Really, if you want Hellcat performance you have to buy a Hellcat, it's just that simple.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
There's no point in even mentioning that these cars have 4 seats. Those back 2 seats are entirely useless unless all of you are under 4 feet tall. It says it seats four it really seats 2. If having four seats means anything at all to you in any way shape or form then just get a charger because the back 2 seats are not going to fit normal human beings in the Challenger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
There's no point in even mentioning that these cars have 4 seats. Those back 2 seats are entirely useless unless all of you are under 4 feet tall. It says it seats four it really seats 2. If having four seats means anything at all to you in any way shape or form then just get a charger because the back 2 seats are not going to fit normal human beings in the Challenger.

Well, I guess my car was built differently than yours. I've ridden two real, normal human adults in the back seat of my car on two different short road trips. I did have to relinquish a couple of inches by moving the front seats, but the rear seat was quite adequate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I mean it could just also be how I sit. I sit decently far back because I'm relatively tall and I have a manual. It'd be too much leg room to give up if I had someone sitting behind me

·
Premium Member
321 Posts

The OP has been looking at Mustangs and Camaros too. Compared to those cars, there is ample room to drag people around in. Maybe not for a 3,000 mile trip, but it's not bad back there. Not everyone is 6 foot 5. But, you are right about the Charger. Problem is, if he has his mind set on a Challenger, and gets the Charger, he'll always want the Challenger. (From experience.) Kinda like the other comment above. If you're longing for a Hellcat get it. I saved up for some time for a Scat Pack and ended up with a T/A. I couldn't afford a Hellcat and I am totally happy with my 392.

And Welcome OP! Another reason to get a Challenger. "US!" We are so awesome here in this forum, we even get Yugo and Prius owners here just to be able to rub elbows with us. :bang:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
The thing is, it's a dollars to HP trade. The Hellcat is awesome, don't get me wrong, but it IS the 707 HP you pay for, you can get all the rest pretty much on less expensive models. How often will you use the 707HP? If you have the money, then sure, get the Hellcat, have the big stick for whenever you may want it. But drive a 392 and see if it isn't everything you'll ever need. A Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for all the input. I really love the look of the Challenger even though the Charger has more rear seat leg room. I agree that buying the Charger, will always leave me feeling like I wish I had the Challenger. I think I'm going to go for the 392 Scat Pack car. The Hellcat would be awesome, but do I need 700+ hp? The hp of the 392 is impressive as well, and probably more than enough power. As far as the rear seat goes, I'll be the only one in the car 90% of the time. The wife's car is what we tend to drive when we go out or take an occasional road trip. Any idea if there are going to be any major changes coming with the 2018 model? Any word of a convertible release?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I really love the look of the Challenger even though the Charger has more rear seat leg room. I agree that buying the Charger, will always leave me feeling like I wish I had the Challenger. I think I'm going to go for the 392 Scat Pack car. The Hellcat would be awesome, but do I need 700+ hp? The hp of the 392 is impressive as well, and probably more than enough power. As far as the rear seat goes, I'll be the only one in the car 90% of the time. The wife's car is what we tend to drive when we go out or take an occasional road trip. Any idea if there are going to be any major changes coming with the 2018 model? Any word of a convertible release?

I think you'll find it has more than enough horsepower my RT is 375 and is a lot of fun. A point of reference early 90s vetts were around 230 hp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I drove around to four different Dodge dealerships today. I figured they were closed and it would give me a chance to really take a look at the cars up close without getting hounded right away. Would you believe, 4 dealers, approximately 30-35 cars, and not one with a hemi, scat pack option, or hellcat? They were all GT / 6 cylinder cars..... six cylinder or not though, beautiful car. Any idea if there are plans to release a convertible in the near future?

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts

Really? I sit closer driving a stick so I can put the pedal to the floor easier without over reaching and can grap the shifter better as well.
If I was driving an auto trans then I could stretch out like at home in a recliner.
I've had three adults in the rear and have had zero complaints.
I've also had 2 modern mustangs and an older camaro and rear seat is mostly non existent.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Really? I sit closer driving a stick so I can put the pedal to the floor easier without over reaching and can grap the shifter better as well.
If I was driving an auto trans then I could stretch out like at home in a recliner.
I've had three adults in the rear and have had zero complaints.
I've also had 2 modern mustangs and an older camaro and rear seat is mostly non existent.
I just feel to enclosed if I sit too far forward, and I wear boots to work so that added footing makes it harder if I sit too close. But I also like to sit so when I hit that sweet spot on the clutch my leg is perfectly comfortable so I hit it every time. I can still easily slam it to the floor if I need to without any problem though. As for the shifter if I'm gonna be banging gears I'll leave the back a little more forward than normal for my arms. And I know how small those back seats are, I have Co workers with a mustang and a camero and they're terrible with space. The Challenger absolutely has the most back space. I can sit three easily, but I also don't really care if my passenger is a little cramped as long as I'm good lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts