Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Scat Pack with A8. It is used as a fun car and a little drag racing, not a daily driver. My short term goals are to get what I can out of it while keeping the warranty intact, meaning mods need to be easily reversible. Long term, who knows where this journey will go. Current mods are Tazer, Catch Can, ported intake manifold to remove steps between components of composite manifold. As well I have a high quality 180 T stat that is not yet installed. Best run so far is 12.6 @ 112 with MT P305/45-18 Street R tires on Bravado 10” wheels. (Track was slippery and driver sucked)

Next step is tuning, trying to decide between Diablo or HP Tuners. My impression is Diablo my provide an easier entry to tuning with package deals including tuner, unlocked PCM, canned tunes and email tunes while HP Tuners has access to more PIDs, better analysis and editing tools at the cost of a steep learning curve before being able to make improvements without scattering engine and/or transmission parts. I’ve also noticed that some forum members that appear to be accomplished tuners have changed from Diablo to HP Tuners.

Any advice to help understand the pluses and minuses of these tuners or correct any misconceptions I may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
Most shops use HP Tuners for most of the reasons you mentioned.
I would say HP Tuner would be your best bet especially if you want to get a professional custom tune on a dyno which would be better then any canned tune from diablo.
With the mods listed any tuner is going to be fine, long term with a more complex build and high hp I would say HP tuner.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input crusher, your comment makes sense. I noticed some good times in Timeslip data from folks using Diablo. Does Diablo have advantages for the novice?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,513 Posts
What I like about the diablo trinity is you can log an program (fuel and spark in percentages though) without a laptop. Unfortunately, the diablo CMR software which allows for more tweaking than the trinity can do is usually not available for the average DIY'er.

I have been looking at HP tuner because the average guy can make a lot more tweaks, provided you know what you are doing but you still need a laptop to make in vehicle changes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Hptuners trans. tuning etc... looking to get my 2017 Scat Pack A8 tuned by OST dyno this spring.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
Thanks for the input crusher, your comment makes sense. I noticed some good times in Timeslip data from folks using Diablo. Does Diablo have advantages for the novice?
Basically what ChallyTatum said, for your novice who deosnt care that much and has simple mods a Diablo will do what you want. You'll get good times and notice a difference with a Diablo
If you're looking to do fine tuning and tweaking and try to do the best by yourself, then a HP tuners is it. All be it you will need to do some research and have some basic understanding

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My short term goal is a best run in mid to upper 11 second range in 2018. Diablo and mail order tunes is probably the shortest and most efficient path to that goal. Since I haven't defined further goals maybe it ends there. However, I'm 69 and come from a time when Hot Rodders did everything themselves or with help from friends. The thought of sending a data log and a check to someone every time I change something or get some hair brained idea just doesn't feel right. As crusher said, if you want to do it yourself HP tuners may be a better choice.

I ordered Engine Management: Advance Tuning, it should be her tomorrow. Will continue studying HP tuners help pages as well. I'm thinking it would be good to get a custom mail order HP tune to bridge the gap until I'm capable of some tuning on my own but I'm not aware of anyone that can provide me with that option.

Thanks to ChallyTatum and Crusher for their input. Very helpful. It would be great to hear from other forum members as well.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Tuning School is developing a Dodge course but I have no idea when it will be available.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
mail order tunes is probably the shortest and most efficient path to that goal.
Mail order tunes IMO aren't the quickest and most efficient path, as it can take multiple data logs and time spent waiting for a new tune and then you having to upload and data log again.
Going to a shop with a dyno and having it tuned on a dyno will make sure its tuned to its best and it'll be done that day.

But you'll get 11 seconds no problem, if you put on a tire you'll see great times at the track!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts