Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Developed for our transmissions by the company that designed and manufactured them. First I have heard of it. But it does interest me. Makes me wonder what's different about it vs ATF+4 for our application.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
Well at ~$22 per quart I am more inclined to try Amsoil. I have read guys switching from RP to Amsoil to reduce notchy 2nd gear shifting.

Amsoil - 1 quart $16.15
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30/

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2329718 -- interesting, according to Amsoil site they recommend ATF not syncromesh.

Not much info on the Tremec oil from BTOG.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4872587/tremec-hp-mtf-no-more-atf

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Just looking at the specs, this is some thick stuff compared to ATF+4.

Kinematic viscosity
Tremec MTF: 12.1 cSt @ 100°C, 71.6 cSt @ 40°C

ATF+4: 7.5 cSt @ 100°C, 34.4 cSt @ 40ºC

Not sure I'd want to use that in winter, unless I had a heater for my trans fluid. I bet it just turns to molasses at -40. Even the ATF + 4 does. Might be a good thing for summer though!

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looking at the specs, this is some thick stuff compared to ATF+4.

Kinematic viscosity
Tremec MTF: 12.1 cSt @ 100°C, 71.6 cSt @ 40°C

ATF+4: 7.5 cSt @ 100°C, 34.4 cSt @ 40ºC

Not sure I'd want to use that in winter, unless I had a heater for my trans fluid. I bet it just turns to molasses at -40. Even the ATF + 4 does. Might be a good thing for summer though!
Somewhere I read that its not recommend for winter, but thats ok, I have other vehicles for winter.
I'm just glad to see Tremec actually publish GL4 and 75/85. Now that gives me some options to try.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
BTW for RT/SP owners the fill capacity is 3.4 quarts, for HC owners it is 4.2 quarts per the service manual. Be careful of other sources as they make no distinction between the fill levels, such as the info from american muscle (they also state the synchronizer material is carbon particle paper...I though they were bronze)

Also apparently the MTF is a synthetic blend. And one of guys on the SVT forum makes it sound like it's not work the money.
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/tremec-now-has-their-own-brand-of-manual-transmission-fluid.1166800/

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
Is this their final answer to the notchy, crunchy, awful second gear pull that's been plaguing TR-6060 owners for the last 15 years?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Is this their final answer to the notchy, crunchy, awful second gear pull that's been plaguing TR-6060 owners for the last 15 years?
Gosh I could only hope. I have driven manual trans vehicles for 49 years now. Up until 2 years ago all 4 of my vehicles were MT. But getting close to 65 I decided I'd better get an auto for my daily driver.

My 57 Chevy with M22 always handled it
My 66 Ford with 335,000 miles never ever missed a shift
My 1974 VW Camper Bus still shifts fine at 45 years old
My 2000 2500 Ram Cummins, to this day shifts flawlessly, even when its -10 outside, and or with a 10,000 lb boat attached

This Challenger tremec MT has me spooked. The grinding into second at times is embarrassing, especially when it happens in front of your neighbors :-(

I have changed the way I drive, when I first leave the house, I just start off in 2nd. Actually works out well, saves a shift before the stop signs. After 10 miles once she is warmed up, then there is no issue.

Syncro transmission technology is not a new thing, so to experience this problem today is odd. I think I may end up installing some better syncs rings?

:icon_cheers::icon_cheers::icon_cheers:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've never had any issues with stick shifts either and have beat the absolute hell out of A-833's.

I don't miss shifts in my car since installing the Hurst shifter and linkage and deleting the CDV. The crunchy feel going into second at normal speeds is just annoying to me. I literally was reading about it yesterday and ordered 4 quarts of Amsoil to try out when I take the car out of hibernation to change the rear end fluid as well. I saw this today and couldn't believe the timing. I'll let everyone else try it first.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
I've never had any issues with stick shifts either and have beat the absolute hell out of A-833's.

I don't miss shifts in my car since installing the Hurst shifter and linkage and deleting the CDV. The crunchy feel going into second at normal speeds is just annoying to me. I literally was reading about it yesterday and ordered 4 quarts of Amsoil to try out when I take the car out of hibernation to change the rear end fluid as well. I saw this today and couldn't believe the timing. I'll let everyone else try it first.

Which Amsoil? Amsoil recommends 2 different flavors of ATF and not their sychromesh...but the sychromesh is what some chevy guys have switched to.

I have been running RP and I swear the 1-2 crunch is worst and now I feel a 3-4 notch at low speed shifts. I have read one guy swore his trans shifted worse with RP which has me wondering if I should just try plain old ATF4 again?

·
Registered
834 Posts
The one I bought was the signature series multi-vehicle synthetic automatic transmission fluid. I read several threads about it yesterday and decided to give it a try.

I bought Royal Purple gear oil (can't remember the exact name) for the rear end based on reviews from others. My car has 15k on it and I rarely ever drive it, but second gear has felt like that since it was new.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Which Amsoil? Amsoil recommends 2 different flavors of ATF and not their sychromesh...but the sychromesh is what some chevy guys have switched to.

I have been running RP and I swear the 1-2 crunch is worst and now I feel a 3-4 notch at low speed shifts. I have read one guy swore his trans shifted worse with RP which has me wondering if I should just try plain old ATF4 again?
I swithced to the Amsoil signature ATF and it there was an improvement. However after looking at the data sheet on the tremec HP MTF fliud and comparing it to the Amsoil synchromesh, I may try the amsoil synchromesh to see if there is more improvement to be had. I live in michigan so its colder weather at least 6mo out if the year making me think the Amsoil is probably better suited over the Tremec.

I also contacted Tremec and asked them about using Amsoil and he said he couldn't advise whether to use it or not because they haven't tested it, but didn't say it can't be used. They have tested Dextron III ATF, Mobile-1 synthetic ATF, and Tremec HP MTF. He also stated that the sychro package of the TR-6060 was designed around the break away characteristics of automatic transmission fluid. That leads ne to believe the synchromesh MTF has been developed to meet the ATF breakaway properties while maintaining a higher viscosity.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He also stated that the sychro package of the TR-6060 was designed around the break away characteristics of automatic transmission fluid. That leads me to believe the synchromesh MTF has been developed to meet the ATF breakaway properties while maintaining a higher viscosity.
That is interesting point.

I think I'll wait until I get a $20.00 off Summit coupon and go buy a 4 pack of the Tremec oil and see how it performs?

The ATF route isn't working for me, maybe a GL4 spec oil will be the ticket. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
Well if the ATF doesn't help, and the RP synchromesh doesn't seem to work as well...I don't think this new MTF will be any different...at least that is what one of the guys at SVT forum says:

"Ok here is the update after 400 mile road trip.

The Tremic oil started out even better than the G.M. synchromesh and on the first 100 miles of my trip it was really smooth in all gears---upshift or downshift, like around 60% smoother and I thought it was too good to be true, even when cold it felt good, Well after about 150 miles it started to degrade just like the G.M. stuff did and now its back to almost where it was before. At the end of my trip it was holding at about 15% better than before but that is nothing to write home about and not acceptable to me. I do not understand how an oil can make such an initial difference but fades out in a short time---which is a frequent complaint about the G.M. stuff."

·
Registered
834 Posts
The bottom line is Tremec sucks. I wish New Process would go back to building our transmissions.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Well if the ATF doesn't help, and the RP synchromesh doesn't seem to work as well...I don't think this new MTF will be any different...at least that is what one of the guys at SVT forum says:

The Tremic oil started out even better than the G.M. synchromesh and on the first 100 miles of my trip it was really smooth in all gears---upshift or downshift, like around 60% smoother and I thought it was too good to be true, even when cold it felt good, Well after about 150 miles it started to degrade just like the G.M. stuff did and now its back to almost where it was before. At the end of my trip it was holding at about 15% better than before but that is nothing to write home about and not acceptable to me. I do not understand how an oil can make such an initial difference but fades out in a short time---which is a frequent complaint about the G.M. stuff."
I'm probably going to give the Amsoil synchromesh a shot this spring. I just need to figure out a good way to flush the ATF out to there isn't any cross contamination. I'll post the results if I go that route. I have a feeling based on Your post it won't make much of a difference, but it won't hurt to try.

·
Registered
834 Posts

I'm probably going to give the Amsoil synchromesh a shot this spring. I just need to figure out a good way to flush the ATF out to there isn't any cross contamination. I'll post the results if I go that route. I have a feeling based on Your post it won't make much of a difference, but it won't hurt to try.
You're not going to have enough left inside to make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
I've used the Driven brand (Joe Gibbs Racing) they formulated a fluid, STF - specifically for Tremecs

I've used in both my Challengers over the years and improved the shift feel / shift quality - I recommend it.
-can find it online at Summit, eBay and look like Walmart also carries it.

It helped the most with the '09 as it had the cold drive off 1st > 2nd notchy shift. The '16 shifts better than the '09 did overall to start with

1 - 20 of 60 Posts