Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with Dodge extending the $4850 incentive for Scat Pack until the end of the month, it's been pretty much a simple choice to go with new vs used. At least in my area. FYI I would be buying a '19 Scat Pack w/ 6 speed. I honestly don't care about any of the options.

So I like I posted in another thread - a local dealer that I've bought from before has given me what I feel is a very good price. '19 Scat Pack, 6 speed, only option is Nav.
MSRP $42535

Their offer was $35484 + TTL

I have to wait a few days anyway, so I've been looking around and found a local dealer (not a Dodge Dealer) who has a '17 Scat Pack Shaker, 6 speed in Go Mango.

Less than 10K miles.
Scat Pack 23Y package (Shaker)
Driver Convenience Group
Sound Group II
Power Sunroof
Nav
20x9 Hyper Black II wheels

Car is mint.

With zero haggling they offered it to me at $33K. They've had it on the lot for quite a while. This isn't exactly a "High performance" dealership. Smaller, local dealer that mainly sells trucks, sedans and SUV's. I'm on the fence about the color. I need to see it in the sunlight.

But the price is pretty damn good - considering Black Book value (What dealers actually use) is:

Clean Trade in $38200
Average Trade in $36400

I really like the shaker.
Benefit to new - full manufacturer warranty (not a huge deal - I do all my own mechanical work regardless).

Cons - I'll be about $2K under trade value once the '19 is driven off the lot.

Opinions?

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
615 Posts
That '17 sounds very tempting and it's basically new with that low mileage. Since you don't really care about a new car warranty that's a moot point then for you although the '17 would still have the powertrain left on it for a few more years.

If they don't budge on the '17 price then I'd go with new because the price difference is minimal in the end. Especially if you're not sold on the Mango.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Depends on how much like the Shaker option. If it's not that important then I'd go new especially if there is another color you would rather have. Plus if you ever trade it in you would have a 2 year newer car.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah - that's the way I'm leaning. Really like Destroyer Grey. But I did see a T/A Scat Pack in F8 green and I couldn't decide if I loved it or hated it. LOL.

Just called my guy I've dealt with for years. They've always done me right. The only 6 speed he has is a B5 Scat Pack that's pretty highly optioned. He's going to search for a Destroyer Gray 6 speed Scat Pack for a dealer trade.

Hell - he offered to sell the '19 Scat Pack B5 6 speed to me for $38K + TTL. It stickers at $48179. If it was Grey I'd likely be signing papers LOL.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Personally, I hate buying used for a car like ours because I have no idea how the bonehead before me took care of it. Did they break it in properly? Did they hammer on it while it was warming up? Did they redline it four times within a minute of parking it in the hot sun? Did they run shit oil? Shit gas? Etc etc. If its 50k+ now you have to worry if they replaced ANY other fluids than oil. Anyways. My feeling on it - if I buy it new - at least I know some shit-heel before me didn't beat on it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah - that's the way I'm leaning. Really like Destroyer Grey. But I did see a T/A Scat Pack in F8 green and I couldn't decide if I loved it or hated it. LOL.

Just called my guy I've dealt with for years. They've always done me right. The only 6 speed he has is a B5 Scat Pack that's pretty highly optioned. He's going to search for a Destroyer Gray 6 speed Scat Pack for a dealer trade.

Hell - he offered to sell the '19 Scat Pack B5 6 speed to me for $38K + TTL. It stickers at $48179. If it was Grey I'd likely be signing papers LOL.
Also - I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention it - really consider Widebody man. The traction difference for a scat is insane. If you can find one, or if you can order the car and still get the incentive (some dealers are doing this), worth considering. When I'm trying for a near full torque launch, I barely have to try to keep traction, even in these shit All Season tires the dealer accidentally gave me (that's being amended soon here).

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,676 Posts
So with Dodge extending the $4850 incentive for Scat Pack until the end of the month, it's been pretty much a simple choice to go with new vs used. At least in my area. FYI I would be buying a '19 Scat Pack w/ 6 speed. I honestly don't care about any of the options.

So I like I posted in another thread - a local dealer that I've bought from before has given me what I feel is a very good price. '19 Scat Pack, 6 speed, only option is Nav.
MSRP $42535

Their offer was $35484 + TTL

I have to wait a few days anyway, so I've been looking around and found a local dealer (not a Dodge Dealer) who has a '17 Scat Pack Shaker, 6 speed in Go Mango.

Less than 10K miles.
Scat Pack 23Y package (Shaker)
Driver Convenience Group
Sound Group II
Power Sunroof
Nav

Car is mint.

With zero haggling they offered it to me at $33K. They've had it on the lot for quite a while. This isn't exactly a "High performance" dealership. Smaller, local dealer that mainly sells trucks, sedans and SUV's. I'm on the fence about the color. I need to see it in the sunlight.

But the price is pretty damn good - considering Black Book value (What dealers actually use) is:

Clean Trade in $38200
Average Trade in $36400

I really like the shaker.
Benefit to new - full manufacturer warranty (not a huge deal - I do all my own mechanical work regardless).

Cons - I'll be about $2K under trade value once the '19 is driven off the lot.

Opinions?
Maybe just me but I'd be a bit leery of a low miles Dodge available from another brand of dealer. That a dealer appears to be selling the car under book value is another flag. Dealers are pretty savvy when it comes to car values and they don't purposely discount cars unless there is a reason. The dealer could have disposed of this car easy by just running it through a dealer to dealer auction. (There's one around 20 miles from me that moves around 90,000 (that's 90 thousand) vehicles a year.)

By selling the car at auction the dealer gets most of his money back and he can then use this to buy another vehicle or two that stand a better chance of selling quicker and making him some money.

IOWs, there's a concern about why the dealer has held on to this car so long to the point he's having to apparently sell it at a loss (though I really wonder if he really is selling it at a loss).

You really need to be quite thorough in your checkout of the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally, I hate buying used for a car like ours because I have no idea how the bonehead before me took care of it. Did they break it in properly? Did they hammer on it while it was warming up? Did they redline it four times within a minute of parking it in the hot sun? Did they run shit oil? Shit gas? Etc etc. If its 50k+ now you have to worry if they replaced ANY other fluids than oil. Anyways. My feeling on it - if I buy it new - at least I know some shit-heel before me didn't beat on it.
I get you. The '17 has less than 10K miles. (Not sure where the 50K came from?) All dealer (local Dodge place) service records - zero mods.
My guy is checking on being able to order a Destroyer Grey '19 right now. He said for some reason the color wasn't showing available for order. He's going to talk to his GM and will call me back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe just me but I'd be a bit leery of a low miles Dodge available from another brand of dealer. That a dealer appears to be selling the car under book value is another flag. Dealers are pretty savvy when it comes to car values and they don't purposely discount cars unless there is a reason. The dealer could have disposed of this car easy by just running it through a dealer to dealer auction. (There's one around 20 miles from me that moves around 90,000 (that's 90 thousand) vehicles a year.)

By selling the car at auction the dealer gets most of his money back and he can then use this to buy another vehicle or two that stand a better chance of selling quicker and making him some money.

IOWs, there's a concern about why the dealer has held on to this car so long to the point he's having to apparently sell it at a loss (though I really wonder if he really is selling it at a loss).

You really need to be quite thorough in your checkout of the car.
I understand. I grew up in the car business - so I know what you're saying. I had a buddy call their Used Sales Manager. Word is the car was a trade in on a Corvette. CarFax is clean - full service records.

As for price - the new prices on '19s are causing used prices to drop. Also - at least around here - 6 speed high performance cars simply don't move well off the lots. Case in point - the brand new B5 Scat Pack M6 at my other local place (friends of mine from way back) the GM mistakenly ordered this one as 6 speed. They only have 2 Challengers total. Their focus is Jeeps and they move a TON of them. He told me he could do more on this one - cause it's on his lot and has been for months. He's at $38K on a $48K + sticker.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
My guy is checking on being able to order a Destroyer Grey '19 right now. He said for some reason the color wasn't showing available for order. He's going to talk to his GM and will call me back.
I would think the order banks for 2019 are closed by now. They start taking 2020 orders on the 18th and Detroyer is discontinued for 2020.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yeah that's what I was betting on.
LOL- figures.
I would go new with the power dollars rebate going on. Some really great prices to be had. It's what swayed me to buy now than wait for 2020MY.

I ended up traveling 3 hours away on Sat. to buy a scat pack. I saved over 8K off MSRP by buying now. Very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,676 Posts
I understand. I grew up in the car business - so I know what you're saying. I had a buddy call their Used Sales Manager. Word is the car was a trade in on a Corvette. CarFax is clean - full service records.

As for price - the new prices on '19s are causing used prices to drop. Also - at least around here - 6 speed high performance cars simply don't move well off the lots. Case in point - the brand new B5 Scat Pack M6 at my other local place (friends of mine from way back) the GM mistakenly ordered this one as 6 speed. They only have 2 Challengers total. Their focus is Jeeps and they move a TON of them. He told me he could do more on this one - cause it's on his lot and has been for months. He's at $38K on a $48K + sticker.
Well, you are comfortable with the car's history then if you are serious about the car all you need do is give the car a thorough used car check out and if it passes make a deal to your liking.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Well taken care of Challengers hold their value really well, and when you consider how much they are discounting new models, buying new is almost a no-brainer.

I just got 29500 with my 2015 Scat Pack with 37500 miles on it, and I only paid 43,980 for the car almost 5 years ago! Had good trade in equity to roll into my very discounted new Hellcat Redeye.

All the depreciation seems to occur in the first 2-3 years, then they just seem to hold pretty steady or very slowly lose value.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went and checked the GO Mango '17 out last night with the wife. We were NOT prepared to like the color. Neither of us really like red vehicles. What was funny - sitting right next to the Challenger was a RED later model Vette. It really showed the difference and how the Go Mango is more to the Orange side.

Car is bone stock - except for the dash overlay someone bought for it. You know - the carpet kind that "protects" the top of the dash? Not kidding. We checked underneath - dash was perfect. Safe to say the original owner was likely older....like I said - this dealership doesn't really deal with "high performance" demographic (lots of trucks and SUV's and compact cars - they had ONE Vetter on the lot - used - and 1 Camaro - used).

I wasn't really prepared to like the Shaker package as much as I did. Wife even noticed it - she thought it was cool the way it moved when the engine was revved LOL.

So here's the thing - this thing is optioned pretty heavy:

Scat Pack Shaker
Driver convenience group
Sound Group II (9 speakers with sub)
Power Sunroof
Nav

Original sticker $49965

Paint was dirty - one small rub mark on rear 1/4 that will likely buff out - 1 small rub mark on rear black plastic part of bumper.

Car was bought new 3/17. Bought in IL. Owner moved to VA. The oil was changed at a Dodge dealership every 3K Miles. LOL

I could get the car for basically Black Book trade in.

Tough decision. I've still got feelers out for Destroyer Grey Scat Pack's with 6 speed.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The oil was changed at a Dodge dealership every 3K Miles. LOL
Depends on how long it took the owner to reach 3K miles. To maintain the warranty on a scat pack, the oil needs to be changed every 6 months or 6K miles.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,493 Posts
Went and checked the GO Mango '17 out last night with the wife. We were NOT prepared to like the color. Neither of us really like red vehicles. What was funny - sitting right next to the Challenger was a RED later model Vette. It really showed the difference and how the Go Mango is more to the Orange side.

Car is bone stock - except for the dash overlay someone bought for it. You know - the carpet kind that "protects" the top of the dash? Not kidding. We checked underneath - dash was perfect. Safe to say the original owner was likely older....like I said - this dealership doesn't really deal with "high performance" demographic (lots of trucks and SUV's and compact cars - they had ONE Vetter on the lot - used - and 1 Camaro - used).

I wasn't really prepared to like the Shaker package as much as I did. Wife even noticed it - she thought it was cool the way it moved when the engine was revved LOL.

So here's the thing - this thing is optioned pretty heavy:

Scat Pack Shaker
Driver convenience group
Sound Group II (9 speakers with sub)
Power Sunroof
Nav

Original sticker $49965

Paint was dirty - one small rub mark on rear 1/4 that will likely buff out - 1 small rub mark on rear black plastic part of bumper.

Car was bought new 3/17. Bought in IL. Owner moved to VA. The oil was changed at a Dodge dealership every 3K Miles. LOL

I could get the car for basically Black Book trade in.

Tough decision. I've still got feelers out for Destroyer Grey Scat Pack's with 6 speed.
Sounds nice, FWIW, mine stickered at $55K and I got it for well under $40K with 17K miles on it. With a trade, hard to nail down exactly, but I was pleased with my trade price as well. Being a year older and %10 less MSRP, I'd guess $30K- $32K.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts