Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a set of Boss 340 in Super Finish Black on order. Can I use the factory lug nuts with these wheels or must I order new ones?

The spec sheet on Boss Motorsport's web site calls for an acorn type nut.

Thanks!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I would seriously consider the black lifetime gorilla lug nuts. Plus get a set of locking (1 for each wheel). Speedlogix carries them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, the Gorilla nuts are recommended but not required, right?

·
Registered
193 Posts
My 338 needed them as well

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A little first hand knowledge...with lug nuts

Factory lug nuts only work with factory wheels. The angled seat sections are larger/wider than aftermarket lugs and because of this they require deeper pockets to reside in.

Basically OEM lugs use larger seats to satisfy safety and weight load requirements.

Example of factory lug seat:

Aftermarket lug seat:

You'll need different lug nuts - period.

Little background on using different rims....
If using aftermarket wheels ensure the rims are hub-centric (hub mounted to wheel flange) since the lugs will have smaller mounting seats.

I ran with non hub-centric rims (American Racing) on another car and even with aluminum centric rings installed - after hitting a good size pothole the rim actually moved off center from the hub... it started to wobble up and down... not good.

I'm not sure if the Boss Rims are centric mounted - others can chime in on this fact if they use centering rings.
The only 'other' rims I've seen that are truly hub-centric are those SRT knock-off types cause it mentions they're hub-centric in the fine print and no mounting rings required as well. Hope this helps with some inside info

·
Vendor
5,693 Posts
Give us a call tomorrow 888-SPD-LOGX and we can help you with some black Gorilla lug nuts. We have them in stock (regular, locking) and can ship same day!

I would seriously consider the black lifetime gorilla lug nuts. Plus get a set of locking (1 for wach wheel). Speedlogix carries them.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank's everyone for your input. I did in fact need new lug nuts for the exact reason Robo mentioned. The factory nut was just too large to fit in the Boss wheel pockets. America's Tire has some in stock so I just used theirs. Not sure who makes them but they are all spline drive. I may pick up some Gorilla lug nuts in the future but these are doing the job right now.

·
Super Moderator
14,738 Posts
I, too, would recommend the Gorilla lugs. Besides not fitting your new ewheels, the factory lug nuts are very cheap and have chrome outer shells over steel lugs.

Also, for security, buy 8 Gorilla locking lug nuts with spinning sleeves. They should be installed 2 per wheel opposite each other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts