Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an SE on Monday, Black w/sunroof. Not into racing so much, but I sure do love how she looks. I got a Predator tuner for it, but, unfortunately, the car's calibration is newer than the Predator's. I guess I'll have to wait a while before I can tune out it's idiotsycracies. As time (and money) goes on, I'll be tricking her out a bit.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Congrats, welcome to the forum.

I agree with Rick, good advice to seek out Hemiwoman for mod advice.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard! :)

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
I would like to say welcome to the best Challenger Forum. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM any of the Admin/Moderators.

Also, please be sure to read General Forum Rules - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Thanks for joining our forum, please enjoy and we look forward to your participation. :bigthumb:

CONGRATS ON THE NEW RIDE :smokin:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Picked up an SE on Monday, Black w/sunroof. Not into racing so much, but I sure do love how she looks. I got a Predator tuner for it, but, unfortunately, the car's calibration is newer than the Predator's. I guess I'll have to wait a while before I can tune out it's idiotsycracies. As time (and money) goes on, I'll be tricking her out a bit.
Congrats. My dealership had sold both of the SE's they had in stock theday I bought my R/T. The SE's looked wicked with the stripes and colors - nothing wrong at all with them.

As for "tuning" and "tweeking", I know that's a big thing with the "Tuners" with their Asian 4 bangers, but I would be careful with screwing with a brand new car's computer. As you stated, the mods are outdated compared to the computer in the car. Dodge has made the Penstar V6 a very formitable machine in stock form. :thumbsup:

The main reason I wouldn't advise "tuning" a car as new as yours is that the major car manufactuers can spot a car whose programming has been altered and then put back to stock. I know that most tuners sellers state otherwise, but any alterration to the ECM can be detected by the Dodge dealership. You have a huge chance in ruining and voiding the warrenty by using Tuners and chips, all for a paltry 5-10 HP gain (don't believe the hype of unleashing 50-100 HP by using a chip/tuner and "Cold Air Filter"). The guys at Dodge have managed to give us decent power in stock form. I'll stay happy with mine staying stock until the warrenty has elapsed, then I may start doing some modding. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Congrats on the new Challenger and welcome to ChallengerTalk.

On your Predator, you probably encountered a message saying you have to update the Predator before you can proceed, I'm guessing. If you also purchased the PC Connect Kit for the Predator, you can use a PC to update the Predator (and probably also get the latest update for the car's computer). Then you can really start to play.

Have fun with your new toy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you want any advice on SE mods let me know. My husband and I have done a few things to my SE and it runs 14.82 in the 1/4 on a nice cool day.
Enjoy your black beauty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats. My dealership had sold both of the SE's they had in stock theday I bought my R/T. The SE's looked wicked with the stripes and colors - nothing wrong at all with them.

As for "tuning" and "tweeking", I know that's a big thing with the "Tuners" with their Asian 4 bangers, but I would be careful with screwing with a brand new car's computer. As you stated, the mods are outdated compared to the computer in the car. Dodge has made the Penstar V6 a very formitable machine in stock form. :thumbsup:

The main reason I wouldn't advise "tuning" a car as new as yours is that the major car manufactuers can spot a car whose programming has been altered and then put back to stock. I know that most tuners sellers state otherwise, but any alterration to the ECM can be detected by the Dodge dealership. You have a huge chance in ruining and voiding the warrenty by using Tuners and chips, all for a paltry 5-10 HP gain (don't believe the hype of unleashing 50-100 HP by using a chip/tuner and "Cold Air Filter"). The guys at Dodge have managed to give us decent power in stock form. I'll stay happy with mine staying stock until the warrenty has elapsed, then I may start doing some modding. :bigthumb:
I tend to avoid returning the my vehicles to the dealer unless there's a recall or major problem...

...however I managed to get my Predator working and went ahead and installed the 89 Octane tune. It didn't seem to do much. No major gains in power that I could tell. Shift firmness seems only slightly firmer than stock. It also seems to have less acceleration "lag". However, it's hard to tell if there were any real improvements at all.

As I've gotten older, I've mellowed quite a bit. And at this point I kind of regret getting the Predator tuner, especially since it had to "downgrade" the car's computer calibration one revision to install the predator tune. Fortunately, so far, it doesn't seem like there's anything bad about the tune, just a bit ineffective. I usually don't fall for the "hype", but being human does have it's drawbacks.

All that aside, however, the Challenger does bring the fun back into driving. I lost that with my 2005 Monte Carlo. It was pretty much optioned out except for the "supercharger". FWD simply isn't very exciting. Aside from keeping the MC clean and doing regular maintenance it was just ok. I didn't bother to trick it out, at all. It just didn't seem worth it. Plus, it started nickle and diming me to death shortly after the original warranty expired. It's only advantage may have been in the snow, being FWD, and it seemed to have more rear seat leg room than the Challenger.

I do miss some of the MC's options, however. It had volt meter and oil pressure gauges, auto on/off headlights, and ON STAR. Not a big deal though.

Hopefully, by keeping up with this forum, I'll be able to get a heads-up on issues that come up with the Challenger.

Anyway, thanks for the advice (though I wish I'd have caught it sooner.)

This old fool,
JoeyV123

·
Registered
630 Posts
Welcome. Congrats on the new car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the forum. If you want any advice on SE mods let me know. My husband and I have done a few things to my SE and it runs 14.82 in the 1/4 on a nice cool day.
Enjoy your black beauty.
Thanks Hemiwoman.

Your 1/4 mile runs are inpressive for a V6 Challenger. I'm really not into the racing thing anymore, however. As I've aged (48) I've become less agressive and more interested in comfort and driveability. From a speed perspective, it's on a par with my '94 Thunderbird LX V8, which turned a 16.01 @ 88.1 mph. I drove that car from 20 miles to over 140k mile before selling it off. I did a few mods to it, like installing a custom-tune chip, a custum trans shift kit, a larger MAF sensor, and wider tires. It was a road warrior. I got beat on every pass at the drag strip, but it was still a blast to drive.

If I really wanted the speed advantage, I would have got a Hemi R/T. There was a "stripped" down version at a dealer near me for a couple thousand more. I just didn't want to deal with the trouble the extra power would likely have gotten me into. (Not to mention the extra insurance and fuel costs due to my heavy foot.) The SE keeps my aggressiveness in check, and still moves quite respectively. I've already noticed some people trying to "coerce" me into racing though I rarely fall for it.

My Black Beauty is a road warrior. It'll see weekly commutes of 300 miles or so, 70% highway, in all four Chicago area seasons. (Actually, it seems there is only winter and road construction season around here. ;))

What I'm after is drivability and to a lesser extent - fuel economy. The Chally has a bit of a "lag" at acceleration. The Predator tuner seems to have helped minimize the "lag" though it's hard to tell, the car being so new to me and all.

A previous post from "Average American" has me regretting using the Predator's tune, however. Hopefully, it won't mess up my warranty if I ever need to bring it in for service.

I'm also considering lowering it 1.5", 20" wheels, cat back duels, CAI, 71mm Tbody, and racing stripes of some sort. All of that will have to wait for a while, as funds are a bit tight right now.

Anyway, Thanks.
I look forward to future posts.
JoeyV123

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Joey, Your a child (48) compared to me. I'm almost 63 and having the time of my life with my SE. You are never to old to have fun. My husband is 66 and bought himself a 2010 SRT8 auto for Christmas. Age and bad knees caught up with us, so we selling our 09 SRT8 6speed.

Throttle lag is a problem. My husband commented on it with his 2010 today. There is a thread about tips for challenger owners that will tell how to get rid of throttle lag.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/i-didnt-know-challenger-tips-tricks-20759/

·
Registered
302 Posts
Congrats, I pick mine up tommorow!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I do miss some of the MC's options, however. It had volt meter and oil pressure gauges, auto on/off headlights, and ON STAR. Not a big deal though.

I don't know about your SE but my RT has the Voltmeter, oil pressure gauge and auto Headlights and more in the EVIC.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Welcome aboard from an SE owner in Ohio! Hemiwoman is the king of SE performance and she is a hoot to be around too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts