Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Hate to sound like a total newb but when it comes to this new Challenger RT I feel like it. First MOPAR performance car. Wife’s choice. I’m a Ford guy. Long story short; bought her this RT for her B-Day. I have it stashed at her uncles and I have until her B-day on March 8th to get some minor mods done. Once she gets it there’s no way she gonna let me do a thing to it. So I need some help with suggestion. Please keep in mind that I am very mechanical inclined but due to the “stealthiest” of this operation my resources will be limited. All will be considered. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sugestions simple Mods

Hello,

Here is some suggestions on simple performance Mods. Magnaflow cat-back systems.

Part# 16513 2.5" street system with X-pipe and new quad tips.
Part# 16514 2.5" street system with X-pipe reuse OE tips.
Part# 16515 2.5" comp series with X-pipe with new

Click Here for sound clip launch.

Click Here for Dyno Sheet

quad tips more aggressive sound.
Part# 16516 2.5" comp series with X-pipe reuse OE tips more aggressive sound.
Part# 350-199 CAI for Airaid. Dyno Chart
Part# U7135 Diablo Tunner.

Please feel free to call email or PM me anytime with questions or for low pricing. I am going to send you a PM with pricing.

Regards,
Don
JDP Motorsports
888-308-6007

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Some cheap easy to do mods...

Hood struts, around $50 and 5 minutes and does away with the hood prop rod.

Functional hood scoops, again around $50 and 5 minutes.

If its a manual trans, skip shift eliminator as a must have, around $20 and 5 minutes if you can get the car on a rack.

Striping or decaling, lots of vendors carry different stripe and decal options that probably make the most visually changes to the exterior.

If you didn't get the chrome clad wheels (or maybe even if you did) some aftermarket wheels, Boss 338's in chrome or black, Torq-Thrust M's in chrome or black.

Have fun and that's pretty cool what you did there! She's gonna love it!!

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Ford guy, Mopar woman. We know who wears the pants in that family ! Haha!

I think R/T 6speed had some great ideas. ^^^^^

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I would drop a good CAI in it, some chrome door sill plates and Predator canned tune. That ought to get the tires burning pretty good. Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in a BT catch can either.
She's gonna like this car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the Welcome and the ssuggestions. It has an automatic. I like the CAI but not sure what the "tune" part of the set up is.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
You buy a Predator tuner and you then drop the canned tune in the ECU. It will run much better with a tune, not to mention the tuning is very customizable in the sense you can disable MDS, change shift points and firmness. It's a very nice tool.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I know you say she won't let you do stuff after she has it but if you show her how much better it looks under the hood with some dress up stuff I bet she wont mind. Look at painted engine covers, Billet underhood kit, and my latest thing I just ordered was a painted coolant tank that someone on here was showing off last night. That stuff is pretty expensive but sure makes it look nice when you pop the hood. With your hood struts installed. That hood prop has to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My suggestion would break it down to two catagories:
Things that you can do before:
1. Catch Can. A must. I got mine from Billet Technologies, and Moroso has one with a petcock to drain the oil. Eather case bro, Put one on!
2. Cold Air Intake. I went with K&N. Get rid of the stock, and let those puppies breathe!
3. Get rid of the stock exhaust, from the cat back. Depends on how much you want to spend, and how much sound you want. Here are the major hitters:
Borla, Flowmaster, Corsa, Magnaflow, and JBA. I'd suggest you do the research. My personal suggestion would be Borla. Less money would be Flowmaster 40's.
4. Upgrade the suspension so you feel like you are not driving a boat. Here is what I did: Petty R/T Strut Tower Brace, Pedders LX Rear & Front Sway Bar Kits, & Rear Sway Bar Arms. I had them all installed at Richard Petty's Garage in NC (www.pettychallenger.com) during a private tour with deep south mopars club (www.deepsouthmopars.com) Check us out!
4. If you want more perfomance, www.diablosport.com

These are mods I feel she might not understand, but you would.

Now, mods that I would suggest you bring her onboard because it is HER CAR!
Check out www.ridergraphix.com and www.billettechnology.com for ways to customize HER car.

Good luck, and let me (us) know how it is going and any other suggestions we ca give. Here are a few pics of what I have done:

Hood grafix from Ridergraphix.com

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My suggestion would break it down to two catagories:
Things that you can do before:
1. Catch Can. A must. I got mine from Billet Technologies, and Moroso has one with a petcock to drain the oil. Eather case bro, Put one on!
2. Cold Air Intake. I went with K&N. Get rid of the stock, and let those puppies breathe!
3. Get rid of the stock exhaust, from the cat back. Depends on how much you want to spend, and how much sound you want. Here are the major hitters:
Borla, Flowmaster, Corsa, Magnaflow, and JBA. I'd suggest you do the research. My personal suggestion would be Borla. Less money would be Flowmaster 40's.
4. Upgrade the suspension so you feel like you are not driving a boat. Here is what I did: Petty R/T Strut Tower Brace, Pedders LX Rear & Front Sway Bar Kits, & Rear Sway Bar Arms. I had them all installed at Richard Petty's Garage in NC (www.pettychallenger.com) during a private tour with deep south mopars club (www.deepsouthmopars.com) Check us out!
4. If you want more perfomance, www.diablosport.com

These are mods I feel she might not understand, but you would.

That list is perfect and really was what I was leaning towards plus a tuner of some sort. I’m pretty sure I can get the first 3 done. I may not have time to get the suspension mods done. But it would be a priority. IMHO the ride height it too high not to mention the handling characteristics.

Thanks for all the help. I will certainly hold out hopes of future HP mods thats for sure. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, thanks for all the great input.

I got the Mopar CAI, the windows tinted and and plan on ordering a Preditor tuner and a catch can this week. I picked up an SRT8 take off suspension. It includes the sway bars as well. I was told that the rear sub-frame has to be lowered 8 or so inches to get the sway bar in. Is this true and does the sway bar add anything to the package?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
It really is moot as the rear suspension has to come off anyway. Just an FYI though, I've heard from reputable sources that there's about a 20 to 30% chance your suspension will have a slight popping noise when you shove an SRT take off system into an RT. I would take that risk if it were me, but just an FYI.

·
Banned
903 Posts
If I read your first post correctly this car is an R/T correct? If so from what I have read in numerous post on here the sway bars on the SRT8 & R/T are the same, only difference is in the springs,struts & shocks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I read your first post correctly this car is an R/T correct? If so from what I have read in numerous post on here the sway bars on the SRT8 & R/T are the same, only difference is in the springs,struts & shocks.
I read that also, that the rear sway bar is the same between rt and srt8

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So its done. I gave her the car on Sat. of course she loved it. So did the other 50 strangers that had gathered around it in the parking lot before we walked out of the restraunt. I guess the giant red bow added to the excitment.

Just a commment about the SRT8 suspension upgrade I had installed. I didnt drive it a lot before the install but it made a huge difference on how the car feels, at all speeds. It felt like an import tin can before the install. All RT's really should have those shocks and struts. And yes both sway bars on the RT are the same as the SRT8.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just a commment about the SRT8 suspension upgrade I had installed. I didnt drive it a lot before the install but it made a huge difference on how the car feels, at all speeds. It felt like an import tin can before the install. All RT's really should have those shocks and struts.
Good to hear that it was a hit!

So what all parts did you install to make it feel not so tin canish? Does yours have the super track pac ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts