Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am newbie to Mopar and defiantly a Newbie to challengers. I am a 41 year old man that has driven a F-250 truck for the last 20 years and my son just graduated college, so I decided to buy myself a Christmas present a couple of weeks ago…
2019 Challenger RT 5.7L (basic RT)
So let me start by saying that this was supposed to be a project car, my daily driver is a 2018 F250 king ranch. I am a very mechanically inclined person (Engineering Maintenance Superintendent at a chemical plant)… But not a smart person, because I figured that I could upgrade a base model and create a standalone Challenger. Below are a list of issues that I am running into. If guys can help me with this, that would be awesome… I have looked for answers on this forum for the last 5 days… But not much on a 19 challenger
FYI – I don’t care about the warranty, but it would be nice to know what will void it…
  • No clear option to replace the stock radio – Currently Uconnect-4 7” base speakers ( I wanted to start with performance mods, but the stock system really is horrible sounding)
  • Catback exhaust upgrade – Will the work with the active exhaust?
  • CAI / throttle body & spacer / upgrade – Custom tune needed or recommended?
  • Back to #1… If you cannot upgrade the stock radio with a aftermarket… Best way to add aftermarket speakers, sub, and amplifier to the crappy Uconnect 4 7” head unit? Is there a way to improve the sound quality?
I have many more but I’ll start with these questions and as I learn I surely will pass the knowledge on… Thank you for taking the time to read my whining (I should have done more research before I purchased the vehicle)
Thanks again

·
Registered
54 Posts
Catback exhaust upgrade – Will the work with the active exhaust?

I haven't done it, but guys are saying you cut the valves out & weld them into the new system

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Hello all, I am newbie to Mopar and defiantly a Newbie to challengers. I am a 41 year old man that has driven a F-250 truck for the last 20 years and my son just graduated college, so I decided to buy myself a Christmas present a couple of weeks ago…
2019 Challenger RT 5.7L (basic RT)
So let me start by saying that this was supposed to be a project car, my daily driver is a 2018 F250 king ranch. I am a very mechanically inclined person (Engineering Maintenance Superintendent at a chemical plant)… But not a smart person, because I figured that I could upgrade a base model and create a standalone Challenger. Below are a list of issues that I am running into. If guys can help me with this, that would be awesome… I have looked for answers on this forum for the last 5 days… But not much on a 19 challenger
FYI – I don’t care about the warranty, but it would be nice to know what will void it…
  • No clear option to replace the stock radio – Currently Uconnect-4 7” base speakers ( I wanted to start with performance mods, but the stock system really is horrible sounding)
  • Catback exhaust upgrade – Will the work with the active exhaust?
  • CAI / throttle body & spacer / upgrade – Custom tune needed or recommended?
  • Back to #1… If you cannot upgrade the stock radio with a aftermarket… Best way to add aftermarket speakers, sub, and amplifier to the crappy Uconnect 4 7” head unit? Is there a way to improve the sound quality?
I have many more but I’ll start with these questions and as I learn I surely will pass the knowledge on… Thank you for taking the time to read my whining (I should have done more research before I purchased the vehicle)
Thanks again
1) yeah, about the only avenue you have to upgrade the head unit is to go with another uConnect unit from a higher trimmed car or upgraded sound package. That won’t be plug and play though, so it’s got its own set of hassles to deal with as well.

2) there are some cat backs that have the active exhaust taken into account I believe, but honesty there isn’t much to be gained performance-wise from upgrading the post-cat exhaust.

There is some performance left on the table by the stock exhaust, but only in the stock exhaust manifolds and Mid-Pipes of the 5.7L setup.

Replacing everything pre-cat with that from the 6.4L engines is a good exhaust upgrade that yields some extra power.

3) The stock air intake is already a CAI, so one of the aftermarket units will not do much the stock unit can’t already do. If your intake tube has one of the Hemholtz (sp) sound mufflers on it then you can gain a better WOT growl with an aftermarket CAI that includes the intake tube, or just replacing the stock baffles one with a stock one that doesn’t have the sound baffle will also do that.

TB spacer is a non-starter; no perf gain from those.

Also, your engine depends upon a MAP and the IAT sensor to figure fuel for the air coming in (aka Speed Density), as opposed to the MAF setup your Ford has. That is important because it means any change you make which affects the engine’s VE will require a tune modification to be taken advantage of (at WOT). A different (aftermarket) CAI would be an example of this.

4) The options for upgrading the sound are many and varied. But that also depends on what you have now. Factory amp? That requires one set of steps and equipment to upgrade the sound. No factory amp? Use a LOC to add external amp capabilities.

There are more details I’m leaving out and even don’t know to begin with, but this is a good start.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

Nuke

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
750 Posts
Welcome From New Jersey. Congrats on your Christmas present and your sons graduation. (y) Got any pics of your R/T ?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Welcome & congrats!
Nuke pretty much nailed it.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but Dodge has done an incredible job in its factory R/T configurations for that particular perf segment. Thats not to say there isnt a lot of perf left on the table for a 5.7l, if you are willing to jump in the deep end, (ie: supercharger, turbos, nitrous, internal engine work, which then leads to other drivetrain upgrades.. beware of the rabbit hole :)
R/T factory exhaust is weak in sound, (even the 2019's), but not in performance, you can do certain deletes and swaps to gain in the sound that you're looking for, but not much there in perf upgrades until you add headers, etc. There are devices out there to trick the active exhaust for more sound by holding the valves open (MFER-1)
Throttle bodies/spacers will give you nothing perf wise, they are a waste of $$ until you are much deeper into mods and even then the benefit is very minimal (sub 5hp).
The best bang for your buck, right out of the blocks, is going to be a proper tune ( and the obligatory unlocked PCM) & wheels/tires. Youll need them anyway if you continue to mod.
Its not hard to gain 25-40+ hp in the 5.7l with super simple, cheap bolt ons and a tune to tie it all together...then it becomes a game of diminishing returns in regards to $$ for $$ and perf headroom. Youd be better off upgrading to a scatpack or hellcat.
Even at +/- 400hp, traction will present an issue. Dodge has never been one to properly equip thier perf line of cars with a sufficient tire at any trim level. Upgrades to that aspect of the car, can certainly help, as can taking out weight, which is a whole other conversation.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,396 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
@DomTam: if you don’t have your car’s build sheet in electronic form, you should get it. There will like be many times where you need to refer to it or reference its information going forward, so obtaining it and saving it somewhere in the cloud or on your phone is a good idea.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome from Lake Havasu City, AZ! Lots of good info in here and online. My '12 R/T has served me well over 120K miles and 7+ years with some bolt-on mods, runs great and is fun to drive, and still has the "cool" factor.
Enjoy your ride!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts