Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellas super newbie question here.. I have no clue how to use autostick , I've never driven a manual car before either so I need to start from scratch .

Is there any videos or tutorials that explain how to use it ? I understand the basic concept of up shifting before it redlines..

Am I gonna mess up the tranny trying to learn autostick or should I practice in another car ? I always fear weird down shifting like I'm over exerting the engine. Any help is appreciated ...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think you are making more of it than there is. It is still an automatic - but you get to choose when it shifts. Just don't do anything stupid and you will not hurt the car.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just shift as you would a manual. As for down shifting, you should be protected by the system from over revving the motor. Just be sensible.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
You're engine can handle quite a bit of abuse. The big thing with autostick is that it shouldn't be a replacement for the brakes when slowing down. Your engine and transmission will thank you for this.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I should reword my question . I'm thinking of proper usage of the autostick such as what gear for what situation and why you would down shift as opposed to just braking ?

I'm so use to auto that I have no concept of manual and how it works . Should I be cruising around town in like second gear only , 1st gear seems to rev so high that it's only necessary when your WOT..if that makes sense

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Sounds like you just need to keep it in D. You don't want to use autoshift to downshift a lot, that's what brakes are for. I have an automatic car too and think the autoshift is mostly a gimmick and has very limited use, the only time I use it is to preselect the proper gear to be in before I pass someone on the hwy., but I grew up with motorcycles and learned to shift at an early age, been driving manual shift cars for 30 years, kind of comes natural to me.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
BTW, when racing the 1/4 you can put it in autostick 1 and get on it, it will shift when necessary but at a higher rpm than plain auto.
down shifting can be not great for any transmission.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use the Autostick mode 90+ percent of the time driving. Only time my R/T is in Drive would be on the freeway. Nothing sounds better than downshifting from 4th - 3rd - 2nd in coming to a stop at an intersection. Luv to turn heads with the exhaust rumbling and engine revving during upshifting/downshifting. If you leave it in Drive the parameters shift way too fast, you'll be in 4th gear by 20mph using light throttle. More fun to shift manually. I almost bought the 6-spd manual but my brother and I test drove both the 6spd and autostick R/T's at a dealership. We both ended up buying our R/T's in Autostick. This is also the first performance car with an automatic that I've bought all my others were sticks...

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT8
67 Posts
I use the Autostick mode 90+ percent of the time driving. Only time my R/T is in Drive would be on the freeway. Nothing sounds better than downshifting from 4th - 3rd - 2nd in coming to a stop at an intersection. Luv to turn heads with the exhaust rumbling and engine revving during upshifting/downshifting. If you leave it in Drive the parameters shift way too fast, you'll be in 4th gear by 20mph using light throttle. More fun to shift manually. I almost bought the 6-spd manual but my brother and I test drove both the 6spd and autostick R/T's at a dealership. We both ended up buying our R/T's in Autostick. This is also the first performance car with an automatic that I've bought all my others were sticks...
I drove the Auto and Manual SRT. I have a 2012 SRT Auto on order it preformed better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2010 5.7 R/T Classic Auto, and I have two basic Autostick questions:

- One thing I'd like to do when driving longer distances is keep it in D, and then manually up/down shift as the need arises. But when doing that, it's nice to know what gear you're already in first. The older Autostick shifters had a position below D where, when you dropped in, the Autostick shift indicator on the dash would light and tell you what gear you're in before you actually shifted. The Chally doesn't have that as the D position doubles for both. So, is there a way to determine the gear you're in without up/down shifting first?

- Is there a way to drop two gears, say from 5th to 3rd, without running through 4th? I've tried to double-tap the stick, although every time I've tried it seems to shift twice. Not sure if I'm just not fast enough, or if there's another trick.

Thanks!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sounds like you just need to keep it in D. You don't want to use autoshift to downshift a lot, that's what brakes are for. I have an automatic car too and think the autoshift is mostly a gimmick and has very limited use, the only time I use it is to preselect the proper gear to be in before I pass someone on the hwy., but I grew up with motorcycles and learned to shift at an early age, been driving manual shift cars for 30 years, kind of comes natural to me.
I agree with Redline...I bought an SRT and tried playing around with the autostick and found its just more of a hassle...and you dont need to downshift these cars...I learned downshifting on heavy trucks but there's a difference...on trucks, downshifting is a necessary function so you dont overheat the brakes when slowing or lug the engine when accelerating in too high of a gear

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2010 5.7 R/T Classic Auto, and I have two basic Autostick questions:

- One thing I'd like to do when driving longer distances is keep it in D, and then manually up/down shift as the need arises. But when doing that, it's nice to know what gear you're already in first. The older Autostick shifters had a position below D where, when you dropped in, the Autostick shift indicator on the dash would light and tell you what gear you're in before you actually shifted. The Chally doesn't have that as the D position doubles for both. So, is there a way to determine the gear you're in without up/down shifting first?

- Is there a way to drop two gears, say from 5th to 3rd, without running through 4th? I've tried to double-tap the stick, although every time I've tried it seems to shift twice. Not sure if I'm just not fast enough, or if there's another trick.

Thanks!
When shift out of D and into autostick mode, you'll always drop into the gear the car is in already. For example, you're cruising along and hit +, the gear selector will show your current gear -- the first 'tap' just moves you into autostick mode and does not change gear (AFAIK).

As for dropping 2 gears at once, at the SRT Track Experience, I had one of the instructors do some amazing stuff with a Jeep SRT8 -- quick double-tap with braking will get you exactly what you want. If you merely double-tap, it will hit each gear going down. I've been trying this with my SRT8 but I'm always catching both gears so maybe it's not possible . . . still working on it ;)

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Interesting points!...I've never heard anything about a "quick double-tap + braking" vs a regular double tap.

I also agree that it would have been nice if the dash showed current gear as well as the D indicator while in standard auto mode.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine will quick double-tap shift right down to the gear you want, say 5th to 3rd, or 4th to 2nd. Obviously if you are in higher rpm's in the gear you are at it's not going to downshift two gears.. But if I'm cruising along in 4th and hit the double tap.. it drops to 2nd and we're gone... Damn these cars are fun...
Also as stated above if in D just tap + and it will show you the gear you are in. But only time mine is in D is on the freeway above 65mph and cruising.

·
Premium Member
7,321 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
When shift out of D and into autostick mode, you'll always drop into the gear the car is in already. For example, you're cruising along and hit +, the gear selector will show your current gear -- the first 'tap' just moves you into autostick mode and does not change gear (AFAIK).
That's the problem, I can't "shift out of D into autostick mode" in a Challenger. The 'D' position IS the autostick mode; when in D, you just bump left or right to shift up/down. But again, problem is you don't know what gear you're in.

Thanks for the "double tap / brake" tip, I'll have to try that.

Also as stated above if in D just tap + and it will show you the gear you are in. But only time mine is in D is on the freeway above 65mph and cruising.
I have tried this, but in my experience, this will cause an upshift IF the computer thinks an upshift is possible. Let me know if this isn't happening for all you guys.

Again, that's the problem I'm having: depending on conditions, sometimes a + tap will cause an upshift and sometimes it won't (because it can't). And when you're trying to figure out what gear you're in because you're preparing to downshift and drop the hammer, the last thing you want is an upshift.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That's the problem, I can't "shift out of D into autostick mode" in a Challenger. The 'D' position IS the autostick mode; when in D, you just bump left or right to shift up/down. But again, problem is you don't know what gear you're in.

Thanks for the "double tap / brake" tip, I'll have to try that.

I have tried this, but in my experience, this will cause an upshift IF the computer thinks an upshift is possible. Let me know if this isn't happening for all you guys.

Again, that's the problem I'm having: depending on conditions, sometimes a + tap will cause an upshift and sometimes it won't (because it can't). And when you're trying to figure out what gear you're in because you're preparing to downshift and drop the hammer, the last thing you want is an upshift.

So let me clarify -- there isn't a distinct position in the gear selector for D or Autostick. When I mention "D" mode vs "Autostick" mode, I'm talking about at the system level, not the gear selector. The simplest way to show this is on your IP -- you're in D or in the level next to D denoted by the numbers 1 thru 5.

Now goin back to the OP, IMO it's a matter of learing the car in a way that you can easily "feel" where you are in terms of RPM, Power, Gear. It's about practice and of course knowledge / common sense. I'll see if I can get some definitive info on this from my side.

You know you can call SRT directly.

Our easy-to-remember toll-free number to reach is 855-SRT-TEAM (855-778-8326) and operates Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-8 p.m. (EST) and on Saturday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (EST).

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You need to you tube some autostick videos to learn how this option works.

You do not let the engine rev to 'before redline' before you upshift... typically around 4k rpm you should notice it's time to shift.

Seems like you are confused about downshifting too. I suggest not downshifting until you understand upshifting at proper rpms. When you brake to a stop, the autostick mode WILL downshift for you to 1st.

Listen to your engine, and glance at the RPMs. That's how you would gauge when to shift gears on a manual as well....

It's fun to put it in 1st, stomp on it off the line, then stick her back in drive once you really get going.

Definitely play around with it, you'll like it once you find her sweet spots.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 27 Posts