Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody provide some feedback on how they like the RT automatic transmissions?

I am looking to purchase a 2010 RT here in the next month, and there are a lot of deals in my local area on these Challengers.

Thought I was dead set on getting the 6 speed manual, but after test driving a brand new RT with 18" wheels and the 3.73 rear end, I am having doubts. During my test drive, I seemed to experience excessive rear-end whine, and a lot of on/off drive line lash.

Going to head back to the dealer and try out the automatic, and just curious how people receive the automatics.

Here are the RT's I am considering:

Vehicle details - 2010 Dodge Challenger at Van Horn Dodge Plymouth - Van Horn Dodge Chrysler Jeep
Vehicle details - 2010 Dodge Challenger at Van Horn Dodge Plymouth - Van Horn Dodge Chrysler Jeep

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Here we go again. I'm going to get beat up on this again but I love my RT Classic with an auto. I know that you guy have louder exaust and like to shift and you think that useing the autostick is lame. I like not shifting everytime I go somewere and just useing the auto stick to play. Welcome to the forum by the way.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I looked at your adds and it don't make any sense but the 6 speed they are saying is used with 19 miles and the auto new never titled. If that's true I'ld think that would make a differance. The 6 speed is a Classic and you get more options with it includeing the 20" Classic rims. Depends on what you want.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Auto is the way to go. No ifs ands or buts.

It is more consistent and quicker.

Vid of last Friday night at the track:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
What left you with doubts, when it came to the manual with 3.73? :confused:

I would liken the automatic as a very complex woman. She's not dead-bones simple to figure out like a manual. She's complex, temperamental, but she certainly delivers once you figure out how she likes to be driven and when she wants to be shifted. ...or you can just ignore her, and she'll just go about doing her own thing w/o any fuss.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The R/T 5-speed Automatic transmission, NAG1, is also the same transmission used in the 2008-10 SRT8s as well as the, now, $995 option in the 392.

In all, the NAG1 automatic transmission is very, very good. It doesn't support as much rear-wheel torque, 5-speed (419 ft/lbs) vs the 6-speed (600 ft/lbs), however, it can handle quite a beating. Sure there are times I wished I would have got the 6-speed and sometimes someone will make the comment of "you got an auto and not a manual", however, from a daily driver standpoint, I do enjoy not having to clutch/shift all the time in traffic.

From a track racing standpoint, you'll get very consistent times with the auto.

Just to NAG, no pun intended, the V10 512 cu/in Drag Pack Challenger is a 2-speed automatic.

From a warranty/reliability/maintenance standpoint, some people have reported rear end whine with the 6-speeds, wheel hop, and then there's the changing of the tranny fluid.

Really, it's about your preference in the end.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I love my auto 5-speed R/T. NO Issues, no problems, no noise, or breakdowns. It can handle more than 500 hp stock and it's built like a tank... or better yet it's something found in the Ram 2500 series trucks so it can dish-out some torque. But of course that's just my recommendation and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Here we go again. I'm going to get beat up on this again but I love my RT Classic with an auto. I know that you guy have louder exaust and like to shift and you think that useing the autostick is lame. I like not shifting everytime I go somewere and just useing the auto stick to play. Welcome to the forum by the way.
You won't catch any flack from me. I love how my automatic performs, and it just feels "stout".

I've only got about 5400 smiles on my RT Classic, and like everything about it, especially the auto tranny.

Now I'll take the heat. If an automatic wasn't offered in a Challenger, I wouldn't own one. I'm done shifting in life, except for my bang around Ford Ranger

Let the:fight:begin.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Interesting. I am of the opposite camp of all the previous posters. When test driving the automatic, it just didn't feel like it had the b*lls the 6-speed has, nor the sound. In fact, it sounded pretty awful. Not saying a cat-back wouldn't fix that, just noting my observation on the stock unit.

But when it comes to track times, the automatics are performing more consistently. Of course, some of that is because the people running with 6-speeds don't know how to shift properly either, but that's a whole other story.

Me personally I wouldn't have bought a Challenger if it weren't available in the 6-speed. However, in the end, it really comes down to driver preference. I won't dare say one is better than the other. It's like red vs blue, all in the eye of the beholder. I will say I thought the price on that silver RT you linked was smokin' good.

·
Registered
237 Posts
nag1

the auto actually a lower final drive ratio than the manual in first gear

·
Registered
248 Posts
I definitely have stick envy. I'm not a fan of how the auto granny shifts when I'm driving around town. Yes, it's easier to just relax and cruise, but I've found myself using the auto-stick almost exclusively the past few months. Knowing what I know now, I defintely would have gotten the 6 speed, and saved myself all the laughs and ridicule I've recieved over the past year for driving an automatic muscle car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you everybody for your replies.

To explain further, this will be a 2nd car for me, not my primary daily driver. It will be used for weekend cruising and traveling. I am not into drag racing nor looking to build a 500 horsepower motor.

Just looking for some feedback like PRESTAN provided above.

How do owners like the automatic for daily driving?
Is the auto-stick annoying or will it hold its gear and allow you to have some control?
Does the transimission "hunt" for gears - like the annoying downshift for a slight hill or incline?
Does the transmission always go down to 1st for stops, or does it try and remain in 2nd gear for rolling stops?

Here is another 2010 RT in my desired Dark Titanium color that I got a got a quoted price of $28,995 plus TTL.
http://www.samlemanpeoria.com/new/DODGE/2010-DODGE-Challenger-Peoria-ef2648fe0a0a00640195bffc85f85c92.htm

Thanks again everybody!

·
Banned
165 Posts
Why do the 6-speed guys all say the auto is "more consistent". Don't you really mean faster? It's ok to just say it, in fact it may be liberating. As far as an automatic muscle car being taboo, since when is it cooler to be a slower muscle car? No knock on six speeds as I grew up with manuals. It's just a bad arguement in favor of the six speed in my opinion to say faster is less of a muscle car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My .02 If I had been younger with no knee probs I would have bought the 6sp it was a blast to drive. That said I am very happy with the auto. If you are leaning to auto but worried about granny shift you can always get a Predator Tuner and turn MDS off, I believe it also fine tunes shift points.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thank you everybody for your replies.

To explain further, this will be a 2nd car for me, not my primary daily driver. It will be used for weekend cruising and traveling. I am not into drag racing nor looking to build a 500 horsepower motor.

Just looking for some feedback like PRESTAN provided above.

How do owners like the automatic for daily driving?
Is the auto-stick annoying or will it hold its gear and allow you to have some control?
Does the transimission "hunt" for gears - like the annoying downshift for a slight hill or incline?
Does the transmission always go down to 1st for stops, or does it try and remain in 2nd gear for rolling stops?

Here is another 2010 RT in my desired Dark Titanium color that I got a got a quoted price of $28,995 plus TTL.
New 2010 DODGE Challenger R/T For Sale | Peoria, Morton, Galesburg, IL R1949

Thanks again everybody!
The auto is fine for daily driving. The tranny seems to do it's darndest to keep the revs low, and it'll put you in 5th gear WAY too quick IMO. Then, if you need to get on it at high gear, there's a bit of a lag (maybe a second or two) until it catches a lower gear.

The auto-stick works well. I normally upshift and let the car downshift by itself when coming to a stop. It holds gear unless you push the car over redline, then it'll automatically upshift to protect the motor (you can turn this feature off with the Predator).

When slowing down, the trans seems to hold the highest gear, and will only downshift to 1st right when you come to a complete stop. Maybe this is a fuel saving initiative to keep the revs down.

In any case, I love my Challenger, but within 5min of driving it, the weird behavior of the tranny was noticeable. It's not a predictable shift pattern like my Jeep.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have driven sticks since Moby Dick was a minnow. I love driving a stick. Everything I used buy had a stick. But after 7 ankle surgeries I figured I did not want to chance it and not be able to drive the Challenger so I went automatic. It shifts nice and smooth and since i put the MOPAR pipes on it it sounds great. Even more so on the coast on the highway when braking and you hear the auto downshift. So cool. Nice and quiet. Auto stick is fun when you want to play. Mine has the MOPAR T-shifter and no one laughs at mine. They all say how cool the shifter looks. Back when I ordered it was another thousand bucks to get the stick. I think it is a great tranny for the car. You have the "best of both worlds" under one tunnel.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm a diehard manual shift guy. To me, it adds to the driving experience, and there are few negatives to it. The biggest negative I know of is if you want an extended warranty, none of them will cover the clutch. I don't think Chrylser's 5/100 powertrain warranty covers it either.

That said, I was glad to hear someone comment on the exhaust. I didn't rag either the auto or the manual I drove when testing, but the manual definitely had more growl. I also like the control. I decide when and how it's time to upshift or down, or just coast, and yes with the autostick you can punch it back and forth but it's not the same.

If I was driving 95% of the time in stop and go traffic, I might opt for the auto, but it would hurt me.

I'll be happy to say it. The auto is probably faster than the stick, unless you hit every gear perfectly, and that's unlikely. Drag racers in my area all go auto, heck some of the fastest cars on the track on running a 2-speed PowerGlide tranny. If you're looking at scorching people off the line, get the auto because there's a good chance you'll sit there spinning and hopping with the manual.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Well, like I posted earlier, I'm very pleased with the auto. I use the autostick on occasion, and in good old "D", she'll smoke tires at will from a stop.

As far as getting laughed at................I just remember the "old days". The fastest Mopar in my neighborhood was a fellow with the 2 speed auto. He made a lot of folks cry, and he was doing the laughing.

Muscle and automatics are not a "laughing matter" IMO. Most of the time, the slowest component of a car is the driver.

·
Banned
811 Posts
It holds gear unless you push the car over redline, then it'll automatically upshift to protect the motor (you can turn this feature off with the Predator).
Is this correct, have you actually disabled it? Everything I've read has said that the Predator cannot disable the autostick upshifting.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Very good prices on the vehicles you posted.Thought I got a good deal at $37,000 all in out the door on my 09 R/T Auto.Go for the Auto,faster at the track,Auto-Stick when in the shifting mood and no wheel hop.Exhaust will sound better with age but a cat-back will let it scream.Add a Cold Air Intake,some shorty headers along with a cat-back exhaust and a Predator or CMR custom Tune to unleash the beast and you face will hurt from smiling.

Good luck with your search and decision,...it will change your driving life forever.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts