Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'll introduce myself first here, since this is my first post. I've always been a Mopar enthusiast, mostly, I have always owned 60's and 70's Mopar. I've mostly been an A body guy, I've had several dusters and darts, Over the weekend I traded a guy my 74 plymouth scamp for a 2010 Challenger RT with 104k miles on it.

I drove 4 hours to meet up with the guy, The car runs and drives great, no issues with the cars performance, I noticed on the test drive that the CEL was on, but i had no way of running diagnostics on it at that time.

Once i got the car home, I found that it's throwing the P0305 cylinder 5 misfire code. I've spent a decent amount of time doing some research, and it appears that it could be anything from a bad plug to a worn camshaft.

I reset the code, the CEL does not come on unless I'm above 3k RPM's, Once i get the RPM's up the CEL will flash, then when they come down the light will either stay on or go off. I swapped the #5 coil with another coil to see if the code followed the coil pack. I took the car for another drive, and now I'm only getting a flash from the CEL on acceleration with RPM's being above 2500-3000.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping I'm not dealing with a worn camshaft or something else costly!

Thanks in advance,

Scott

·
Registered
941 Posts
Did the misfire change cylinders? If it is still 5 then I would replace or swap plugs on that cylinder. So many things can cause a miss. Coil, plugs,injector, vacuum leak...... Start with the basics like you did already . Coil plugs. Vacuum leaks usually cause a miss at idle. Is it a auto or a stick? I've had the MDS solenoids cause a miss also.(Usally multiple cylinders) Thve injectors are not bad to swap either. Also I ran into moisture in the pcm plus. Blow out and dielectric grease solves that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The car is an auto. When I first checked the codes, it was P0300 and P0305. I Cleared them out, when for a drive, and the light came back on, checked the codes again and it was just P0305.

I just fired it up this morning and the CEL came on with code P0305, so we can eliminate a coil pack.

I will also check for moisture. It looks like the guy I bought the car off of may have washed the engine bay before I bought it.

It's just weird, it runs really well. You can't even feel it miss. I'm hoping I don't have a stuck lifter and a worn cam lobe.

Thanks for the help! I'm definitely excited to own a challenger. I'm already thinking about performance mods. How many miles are the 5.7 good for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done a little more diagnosing, I've put in new plugs and swapped injectors, I'm still getting P0305. When the light comes on it seems to have a little rougher idle. Sometimes the light flashes on acceleration or when the RPM's start to fall.

I pulled the valve cover off and looked for a broken spring. Everything looked good.

At this point I think I'm leaning towards a worn cam lobe which is not good :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts