Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently intro'd myself on the appropriate thread. I have a 2002 Corvette Z06 for sale since I need a car with 4 seats. I'm stuck between a Challenger and Mustang, and even more confused about which Challenger I would want. I was thinking about the RT Anniversary Edition, drove one, liked it, but the Ford was faster. I've seen some low mileage SRT/392's for sale and was wondering how they and other models all shake out.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
You said you need four seats, the back seats in a Mustang are useless, I've owned 2 so I speak from experience. The Challenger has a real back seat.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
The main reason I got a Challenger over a Mustang or Camaro was because I had kids (well, I liked the looks better, too). Your passengers will appreciate the extra space in the back seat. If you want speed equal to a Mustang, you're going to have to go with an SRT.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The need for extra seats is because of grandchildren. I really like the SRT but I can't afford to buy a new one which is why I'm looking at low mileage used. The RT that I drove was very comfortable. It also had the track package and I'm not so sure if I like that or not. Does the SRT have a harder ride?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I got 3 kids they fit back there no problem you can get a good low mile rt I'm thinking low 20s or a 6.1 SRT high 20s

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm 6' tall. My sons are 6' and 6'1", and they fit. I've even checked the drivers side back seat, and I can fit there when the driver's seat is set for me - I can fit comfortably behind myself.

I'm not sure I'd want to travel all day back there, but it's not that bad.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Three words: three nine two.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The charger has four doors which would make since if you have a baby seat.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I currently have a 2011 Mustang (fun car btw) and I will be moving into a 2015 Challenger next spring. The back seats in the Mustang are usable by preteen kids but not at all roomy. The rear seats in the Challenger are MUCH more practical for regular use

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I drove a 2013 SRT8 with 4000 miles today and loved everything about it. It seems as fast as my Z06 and VERY comfortable. Ride was of no concern. My only problem is the exhaust volume. (Please don't flame me). It's much louder than the 5.7, and seems to drone at highway speeds, which may annoy my wife to the extent that she will be reluctant to ride in it. Is there a way to tone the exhaust note down without ruining performance?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The factory Srt exhaust is very tame but flows great, factory shorty headers. The one you test drove must have had mods done to the exhaust. no significant gains have been had with aftermarket exhaust vs stock.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It only had 4k miles, I'm assuming its stock, but it was an auction car that dealer purchased, so they might not know anything about it.
I considered the 5.7 sound to be quite tame, but I would never call this one tame.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How could I tell if the exhaust is non- stock? Is it common for people to replace the exhaust on a new car?

·
Registered
540 Posts
How could I tell if the exhaust is non- stock? Is it common for people to replace the exhaust on a new car?
Easiest way is to get under it yourself, or just take it to the dealership.

It IS common to replace the exhaust on these cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would say it is very common to change the exhaust or modify the stock system, I had my resonators (rear canisters) removed with less than 500 miles on her. Lot of CT members complain about the stock exhaust being too quite and some have driven straight to a muffler shop right after buying there new Srt. You can google a stock exhaust image and have the dealership put it on a lift to compare or test drive a new srt challenger. From your description Most likely something has been done the exhaust.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. I'm doing that research now. Of the clips of stock systems I've heard, I'm pretty sure that car has been modded. I need to drive another SRT8 for comparison. Now if I can only sell my Z06...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree the 392 is your best bet for size. The Mustang should be considered a two-seater. I own a 2014 Mustang GT and the backseat is totally useless. As far as the Mustang, if you were to get one, now is a good time to buy since the '15s are coming out. You could get a brand new base GT for $24,500 before tax if you haggled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts